Commission for the Preventionof CorruptionJaka KosmačDunajska 56, Ljubljanat +386 1 400 57 10f +386 1 478 84 72www.kpk-rs.siINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
“Our mandate is preventing corruption, strengthening therule of law, integrity and transparency of public sector. Ourmoto is: integrity, accountability, rule of law.”INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Organizational Stucture and Staff of CommissionINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Project Transparency public accessibility to information on matters of public concern three different services that will be later on upgraded with new topics:INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAWSUPERVIZOR - onlineapplication formonitoring expensesof public bodiesCONTACTS WITHLOBBYISTS - list ofreported contacts withlobbyistsFINANCIAL STATUS OFMEMBERS OF THECOMMISSION
SupervizorProviding citizens with information about the governmentspendingINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Supervizor – first steps• The idea arised among some CPC’s enthusiasticemployees, which in cooperation with external partnersprepared it for free (relevant data provided by other bodies)• Application has been developed in less than a month.• Daily updated.• Adding data is highly automatized, so operating costs are low.INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Supervizor – first steps and responses• Introduction of the Supervizor didnt require any lawmodification → gathered information already available toslovenian citizens on legal basis of the Access to publicinformation Act on a principle of special requirement.• Public launch: 23. 8. 2011; significant interests by the publicon first day: 1.200.000 pageviews.• “Supervizor is not a toy, it’s a tool for responsible journalismand responsible citizenship” (Chief Commissioner G. K. onthe public launch day).• Mostly positive response, from other budget users, locallevel, abroad (nominated for the UNPSA, awarded NETKOaward for the best digital project of the public administration).INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Supervizor – who can use it?• Insight in financial flows among the public and the privatesector not only to the public, media, profession, but also toregulatory and supervisory bodies.• On basis of Supervizor data in 2012 more than 100 cases ofsuspected violations of restriction on business werediscovered by CPC (mostly on local level) and approx. Worth1,4 million €.• Transparency of financial flows among the public and theprivate sector increases level of responsibilities of publicoffice holders for use of public finance, adopted and plannedinvestments, abuse of functions → limits systemiccorruption, unfair competitivnes and clientage in publicprocurement procedures.INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW.
Supervizor – aim• Supervizor implements the primary purpose of the CPCmission: strenghtening the rule of law, integrity andtransparency, limiting corruption risks and conflicts ofinterest.INTEGRITETA. ODGOVORNOST. VLADAVINAPRAVA.
• Supervizor is an online application that provides informationon business transactions of the public sector bodies by simplebrowsing and grafical presentation.• User can view all money transfers from selected budget useror all money transfers from the budget user to selectedcompany.• Data shown for a specified period of time.• It indicates the largest recipients of finances, related legalentities, date and amount of transactions and also theirpurpose (for all transactions over 2000 EUR).Supervizor – how does it “work?”INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
• Application also shows data about public procurements,management and ownership structure of the companies andsome information from their annual reports.• Important part is a module, which shows list and informationabout public owned companies.• Centralized system of the budget users transfers as the crucialcondition.• Supervizor oversees 4,7 bn € of annual public spending, whichis approx. half of the budget of the Republic of Slovenia.• ! Supervisor combines data – it doesn’t give answers, buthelps asking better questions.Supervizor – how does it “work?”INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
• Public Payments Administration; providing payment servicesfor direct and indirect budget users (gathered data from 1. 1.2003).• Slovenian Business Register; central public database on allbusiness and legal entities, their subsidiaries, and otherorganization segments located in Slovenia (public and privateinstitutes)).• Annual reports of Slovenian companies.• Ministry of the Finance; Database of public procurementsand procurement of a small value.• only combines relevant data from different sources in moreuser-friendly format, not interprating content in any way.Data sourcesINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
• Some transactions were removed:– transactions to physical persons (salaries, expenses related tosalaries, etc.);– transactions to accounts of health insurance companies containingpersonal data;– transactions from deposit account of the Customs Administration of theRepublic of Slovenia;– transactions to Central Securities Clearing Corporation for the purchase ofdebt securities and payments of Public Payments Administration for therepayment of debt;– transactions to intelligence and security services;– transactions to banks;– transactions among budget users;– returns of taxes, etc.Datasets – removed dataINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Dependance from public sectorData from annual reports combined with data from database of public sectorpayments.
• detecting companies, who received money transfersdepending of the government in charge.• Analysis has shown:• high correlation between the change of government in powerand money flow from budget users to a limited number ofcompanies.• high inflexibility of the market for certain services (namely ITcompanies, pharmaceutics companies, constructioncompanies, etc.).• a group of companies, highly dependent on the budget usersmoney transfers (a great amount of their income from budgetusers only), which constitutes a noticeable risk of corruption.Financial flow analysisINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Plans for the future• Supervizor 2.0 upgrade in final phase.• Further upgrade and improvement by the CPC in cooperationwith other bodies.• Goal → to get acces to some additional databases and publishthem (judiciary registers, …) → to perform more complexanalysis and visualisation of data:– advanced data mining,– detection of violations of restrictions as regard profitable activity,– pattern search,– advanced network analysis (detection of affiliate persons and affiliatecompanies).– full text search (all public procurements on certain topic/of certaintype of budget user, (local communities …).INTEGRITETA. ODGOVORNOST. VLADAVINAPRAVA.
• We are finishing Supervizor 2.0.• Goal → get access and publish some additional databases(judiciary registers …).• To perform more complex analysis and visualisation of data:– advanced data mining– detection of violations of restrictions on business– pattern search– advanced network analysis (detection of affiliate persons and affiliatecompanies).Plans for the futureINTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW
Questions?INTEGRITY I ACCOUNTABILITY I RULE OF LAW