The wheat stripe rust pathogen in
Iran and achievement of resistant
wheat cultivars over last 10 years
F. Afshari, K. Nazari, M. Aghaei, G. Najafian, M. Esmaeilzadeh, A.
Yazdansepas, M. Khodarahmei, A. Amini, R. Roohparvar, M.
Hashamei, A. Malihipour and M. Patpour
Seed and Plant Improvement Institute, Karaj, Iran
2IWSRS, Izmir, Turkey 28Apr-1May. 2014
Wheat Disease and Breeding for Resistance
Project in Iran
Tracking, Surveillance, Epidemiology and Pathotyping (using
of Geographical Information Service and Greenhouse
Screening of Resistance source (wild and relatives), Cross
and evaluation of F gen., PWSN, PRWYT, ARWYT and
Elite germplasm in seedling and AP stages
with ICARDA, CIMMYT, FAO and BGRI
Yr Pst. Yr27+
• Base on our national rust surveillance in 2004
(Virulence for Yr27) in South & West of IRAN
(Fars and Kermanshah).
• Test of wheat genetic materials in Zarghan was
• Over last 10 years 13 resistance wheat Cvs. for
different climate of Iran are released.
Rust surveillance, race analysis, molecular genetic diversity at national and
• Using GIS, preparing crop calendar for targeted regions
•Searching for new sources of resistance genes and building up the genetic
basis of resistance
• Timely communication and exchange data among the rust networks
•Regional traveling workshops and special training on rust monitoring
• Breeding for high yielding durable resistant cultivars using APR minor
genes/ molecular markers
• Big challenge of replacing susceptible cultivars with