Mobile Apps: Attitudes, Challenges and Opportunities, presented by Weather.com
Apps on wireless devices have become a runaway mobile marketing success story. Brands are creating custom ones, the casual gaming industry has found exploding revenue streams and media companies are all building them -- but what do they offer to advertisers? Using a combination of 3rd party data and proprietary research conducted by The Weather Channel, the IAB presented a survey of app users plus ad effectiveness research with Paul Borgese, Weather Channel Director of Research & Insights, Ed Darmanin, VP Sales, and independent researcher Kathryn Koegel of Primary Impact. Our speakers presented a broad picture of what marketers and agencies need to know about apps. Covered in the webinar were:
* App usage overall by content category
• Tips on app measurement: what are the metrics that marketers need to assess apps as media for ad placement
* Frequency of app usage: what kind of apps do consumers continue to use beyond the first week after download?
* Consumer attitudes about the relative value of various types of apps post download
* App usage and value as compared to other media sources of similar information
* Solving the mobile reach challenge and just making it easier: techniques for achieving maximum reach of the mobile media market including a new initiative to simplify mobile rich media and make it work cross platform
* Brand impact of ads in apps as compared to ads in mobile and ads online
* Results of first-ever brand impact study on ads in iPad apps
* Creative examples from Weather Mobile advertisers that include location based advertising for clients such as Kraft, Starbucks, Johnson & Johnson and LL Bean and rich media ads for Dunkin Donuts, Budweiser and Toyota.