1. 1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challengeforms and conventions of real media products?
2. Setting/LocationWe used a long shot to establish the location; mostopening sequences usually use an establishing/extremelong shot to show the location. The location is a normalpublic place, which in realistic films is usually the case,which is why we filmed in a park; to give our openingsequence more realism.
3. Costumes and PropsWe chose to have normal, everyday costumes so that itemphasised the realism of the opening sequence. This is whatsome film openings have their characters wear at the beginningto show how normal they are before events happen to them. Weused a mobile phone to move the story along which is typical ofsome film scenes.
4. Camerawork and EditingIn most film openings, they start with simpleediting techniques which allow the audience tolearn a bit more about the character and won’tconfuse them as the film is continuous. This iswhat we did with our film. The cameraworkreflects this as basic shots are used which canhelp portray the character as being quitenormal.
5. TitlesThe titles fit with opening sequence conventions asthey show the production company and the filmtitle. The production company title fits in with thefilm genre as it is a silhouette. The film title, whenplayed, has been created to give a typing effect,possibly showing that the secrets will be revealedthroughout the film.
6. StoryThe storyline is set up through a small amount ofdialogue, but mainly through the onscreen footagelike other films e.g. The Tourist. We also moved thestoryline along through a recurring device: themobile phone, which also kept the character incontact with others. The opening sequence doesn’tgive everything away, but hopefully interests theaudience as they want to find out who the male is,and what the two phone documents contain. This isa convention of opening sequences as you want tomake the audience interested enough that they’llkeep watching the film until the end.
7. Genre - ThrillerThe genre is set up through various methods, oneof which is the story. Little bits of information aregiven away, but not everything which createsinterest and makes the male mysterious as no cluesare really given away about who his, except that hewants to help the female. Many thrillers start withunanswered questions, so the audience will want towatch so they can find out the answers, which iswhat we did by the phone prop and creatinguntitled documents on it.
8. CharactersThe main character is shown to be the main oneas she is the one the camera follows, and alsohas a shot from her point of view. This is typicalof an opening sequence. The male is implied tobe the one who sent her the second text as hesays that he knows about her.