Organic Search is Best
Pay Per Click – 25% of Clicks
• More traffic
• Smarter people
75% of clicks
• Longer lasting
Source: Marketing Sherpa and Enquiro Research
SEO – What and Why
• SEO refers to techniques that help your
website rank higher in the organic/natural
• This helps more people who are looking for
your product or service find you.
Getting Found: On-Page SEO
HubSpot’s Keyword Grader
• Determine what keywords to
optimize your pages around based
on relevance, search volume, and
how difficult it will be to rank on the
first page of Google
• Identify critical long tail words (high
conversion rates, low competition)
• Monitor your rank against
competitors for each
• Determine the specific page on
your site that is ranking for each
keyword(phrase) and how to make
Let’s Do Some Keyword Research
• Click “customer login” at www.hubspot.com
• Search Marketing Keywords
<font=“verdana”>HTML text <b>looks</b>
different to a <i>person</i> than to a <a
href=“http://www.google.com”> search engine
HTML text looks different to a person than to a search
<b> = Bold
<i> = Italics
<h1> = Heading 1
<img alt text = “Internet Marketing”>
Visible On Page SEO
• Page Title
• H1,H2,H3 tags
• Page Text
“Invisible” On Page SEO
• Alt text on images
Can You Optimize a Page on Your Site?
• Can you add a page to your website?
• Can you change the title tag, URL, H1,
• Can you change meta description, meta
Let’s Optimize a Page
• Login to Your HubSpot Portal
• Website Page Manager Add Page
• Use a keyword, Page Name, Title, etc.
• Page Rank
• How important Google thinks your site is
• 0 to 10
• Exponential scale
• Inbound Links
• Web pages that link to you
• Link Anchor Text
• The text that is in the link to you
75% of SEO = Off Page
• Recommendations from friends
1. “I know Jen Snynder”
2. “Jen Snyder is a marketing expert”
3. Seth Godin: “Snyder’s a marketing expert”
• Links are online recommendations
1. A link: www.HubSpot.com
2. Anchor text: Internet Marketing
3. Link is from a trusted website
Link Building Tips
• Content is king
• Start a blog, join the blogosphere
• Create a tool (WebsiteGrader.com)
• Other: viral videos, photos
• Press Releases
• Social Media
• Answers, Forums, Wikis
Getting Found: Off-Page SEO
HubSpot’s Link Grader
• Identify opportunities to generate
more return from your existing
• Monitor your live inbound links
and which inbound links are
producing the most value for you
• Aggregate your competitors
inbound links to discover new link
building opportunities that you
have not taken advantage of
Let’s Analyze Your Links! Your Competitors.!
• Yours: Search marketing Link Grader
• WSG: Total Links Column
• Link Grader Other.
Doing SEO Yourself
• It’s not rocket science.
• Content is king.
• Read a lot of blogs.
• Invest in great tools.
• Start small and work your way up.
• Track, so you learn what works.
Hiring an SEO Consultant
• They should be able to explain to you in
simple language what determines rank.
• They should explain everything to you.
• They should require good content.
• Their website is optimized (check Website
• Their reference websites are optimized.
• They measure results in leads.
• They did not cold call you.
• They are more than $2000 / month.
Hiring an SEO Consultant
Be clear about goals (traffic & leads).
It will take 1 to 6 months. ($$$)
Content is king. Who will write?
Will they do the hard work? (links)
Invest in great tools to track them.