1. can pay per click and paidsocial media contribute toinbound
2. MARK ROBERGE @markroberge Sales 2.0 scientist. MIT quant. Family man.#inbound12
4. Paid media is not a sustainable channel#inbound12
5. Paid media accelerates inbound marketing experimentation#inbound12
6. Contextual difference of PPC vs paid social media Ability to Influence Channel Intent to Purchase Ability to Nurture Others PPC HIGH HIGH LOW Paid Social Media LOW HIGH HIGH
7. Paid media builds social media followingImproves brand… … increases distribution and…
8. Paid Media builds social media following … helps with SEO! http://www.seomoz.org/blog/facebook-twitters-influence-google-search-rankings
9. CONTEST #1 Who has the largest twitter following in the room? Winner: $50 of Facebook Ads#inbound12
10. 1 PAID SOCIAL MEDIA OVERVIEW#inbound12
11. Users by Social Channel Users by Social Channel1,000,000,000 900,000,000 800,000,000 700,000,000 600,000,000 500,000,000 Users by Social Channel 400,000,000 300,000,000 200,000,000 100,000,000 - Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
12. Ad Revenue by Social Channel Ad Revenue by Social Channel$4,000,000,000$3,500,000,000 Inefficient market$3,000,000,000 advertising opportunity?$2,500,000,000$2,000,000,000 Ad Revenue by Social Channel$1,500,000,000$1,000,000,000 $500,000,000 $- Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
13. Social Ad Effectiveness
14. Facebook Ads Basics
15. Twitter Ads Basics
16. LinkedIn Ads basics
17. PPC Ads with social
18. CONTEST #2 Of those folks advertising on Facebook, who has accumulated the most fans? Winner: $50 of Facebook Ads#inbound12
19. 2 LEVERAGE PAID MEDIA TO TEST#inbound12
20. Use Paid Social Media to Test Target Demographics • Which regions are responding most to your messaging? • When writing an eBook, should you have a different version for executives versus the end users of your software? • Is it worth extending your website with content written for the various industries you target? • Is your sales team more effective at starting low, medium, or high in the organization? • There are 500 LinkedIn Groups in my industry. Where are my most qualified prospects conversing? Where should I invest more of my time?#inbound12
21. Demographic segmentation capability by networkFacebook X X X X X X X X X X X XLinkedIn X** X X X X X X X X X X**Twitter X** XPPC X X X ** Social network segmentation is limited relative to peers in this category
22. Social Network Gender 38% 42%58% 62% Male Female Male Female Overall, women are 11% more likely to click on an ad,46% 54% but men are slightly (2.2%) more likely than women to Male Female "like" a brand via an ad. http://www.marketingprofs.com/charts/2011/5912/women-on-facebook-click-ads-more-younger- adults-like-more#ixzz1XtJHPGnI
23. Social Network Age 7% 9% 45-54 12% 45-54 17% 18% 27% 26-34 23% 26-34 30% 29% 13% 13-17 11% 13-17 4%http://roymorejon.com/social-media-age-demographics-for-facebook-and-twitter/ http://roymorejon.com/social-media-age-demographics-for-facebook-and-twitter/ On average, Facebook users age 50+ 55+ are 28.2% more likely than adults age 11% 18-29 to click through by clicking on 35-54 40% the ad, but they are 9% less likely to 25-34 31% click on the "like" button. 18-24 18% http://www.marketingprofs.com/charts/2011/5912/women-on-facebook-click-ads-more-younger- http://bostinno.com/2012/02/28/who-really-uses-linkedin-infographic/ adults-like-more#ixzz1XtIda5YR
24. LinkedIn Professional User Demographics Company Size Industry 14% (Employees) 1-200 High Tech 15% 13% 42% 15% Manufacturing 10% 201- 9% 19% Education 8% 1000 8% Consumer… 7% 10% http://www.slideshare.net/amover/linked-in-demographics-statistics-july-2011 http://www.slideshare.net/amover/linked-in-demographics-statistics-july-2011 Job Title 4% 4% SeniorityEntrepreneur 12% 8% 10% CxO Admin 9% VP 9% 10% Ops 8% Director 7% 58% 16% Owner Engineering 7% Manager 5% Finance 4% http://www.slideshare.net/amover/linked-in-demographics-statistics-july-2011 http://www.slideshare.net/amover/linked-in-demographics-statistics-july-2011
25. Test “Seniority” in LinkedIn Cloud 2012 – C-Level Web.cloudinc.com/2012-ebook-c-level.html CxO Ad CxO LP CxO, VP Cloud 2012 – IT Admin Web.cloudinc.com/2012-ebook-IT.html Admin Ad Admin LP Individual Contributor
26. Use PPC to Test Content and Messaging • Which keywords should you be writing about most on your blog? • How broadly can you be thinking with your keyword research? Do interests tangential to your value proposition translate into a qualified lead for your business? • Which landing page designs are best for each interest segment? • What is the ideal next step for a prospect with a particular interest? Should it be passed directly to the sales team or nurtured? If nurtured, with a particular blog article, call to action, or a white paper? • Does your sales team need training on leads with specific types of interests?#inbound12
27. Test on “kitchen remodeling” subject 1. Setup AdGroup for “kitchen 2. Rotate Ads within AdGroup remodeling” terms4. Measure Success through Funnel 3. A/B Test Landing Pages
28. 3 LEVERAGE PAID SOCIAL MEDIA TO BUILD YOUR FOLLOWING#inbound12
29. Target Facebook Users by Interests Setup as Broad Category or Precise interests
30. Friend-of-a-friend ads?
31. Influence of friends on purchasing 90% of consumers online trust recommendations from people they know. 71% say reviews from family members or friends influence purchase decisions.
32. Facebook Sponsored Stories
33. 7 Types of Facebook Sponsored Stories
34. Setting up Facebook Sponsored Stories
35. Twitter Ad Options
36. Twitter Promoted Account Options
37. Promoted Tweet Options
38. CONTEST #3 Who has the most members in their LinkedIn Group? Winner: $50 of Facebook Ads#inbound12
39. Friend of a Friend in Search • +1 is not optional • +1 does not count as click • +1 is on URL, not ad
40. Beware of Ad Tiring in Social
41. 4 HUBSPOT APPS FOR PAID MEDIA#inbound12
42. Find and nurtureyour social media influencers.
43. See how engaged a lead has been with your company onsocial before calling.
44. Social Media Reach
45. View published &scheduled posts. Create, publish or schedule social media posts.
46. Publish to multipleaccounts & channels. Schedule multiple posts at a time.
47. Facebook Customizer - GROSOCIAL Drag-and-drop Facebook tabs with widgets for maps, social sharing, photos, contests and HubSpot forms.#inbound12
49. Hootsuite -6KITESSocial mediamonitoring of yourHubSpot keywords andcontacts.
50. HubSpot Marketplace PPC Apps1 WebSite Publicity’s paid AdWords ROI calculator shows you your marketing spend per lead and per sale for PPC traffic 2 … and Wordstream’s free AdWords grader that tells you how to improve those results, including your HubSpot landing pages
51. Continue your learning at HubSpot Academy Academy.HubSpot.com#inbound12