The Research Process
Lectured by Mr. Samath Houy
Tel: 012 211 345
After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
Understand the process involved in conducting research
as well as the scientific method in research.
Acquire knowledge on eight-steps method in research.
What do you want to find out about?
How are you going to go about finding the
answer to that question?
Research task is a sequential process involving
several clearly defined steps.
An eight-step model
#1 Formulate a
• The more specific and clear you are, the
• The main function is to decide what you
want to find out about.
#2 Conceptualize a
• Research uses of appropriate methods.
• Involves systematic, controlled, valid and
rigorous exploration and descriptions.
• The strength of the findings largely rests
on how it was found.
#3 Construct an
instrument for data
• Means of collecting information for study
• What are your research tools?
• Observation form
• Interview schedules
• Questionnaires and interview
#4 Select a sample
• The accuracy of your work depends on
how you select your sample.
• Avoid bias.
• Different categories of sampling:
• non-random or “mixed”
#5 Write your
• What do you propose to do?
• How do you plan to proceed?
• Why did you select this particular
#6 Collecting data
• Write the code.
• Run the experiments.
• Conduct the surveys.
#7 Processing data
• Depends on what type of data and research.
• Process the data manually or using a
• What statistical procedures would be
#8 Writing the
• The easiest and the hardest step.
• Don’t expect your first draft to be the final
• Know what writing style is expected – this
differs depending upon discipline.