Introduction• Tabitha Home is a home/shelter exclusively for HIV infected orphans.• The Home is run by Thanshok Kamkra and his wife Tammi.• Tabitha Home derives its name from the Bible (Act 9: 36-42) based on the concept of serving the destitute children, helpless widows and poor people.
• Tabitha Home or Tabitha Ministries comes underthe legal jurisdiction of NSCP- Networking Servicefor Community Participation.• NSCP is registered, under Manipur SocietiesRegistration Act and FCRA, under the Ministries ofHome Affairs, Govt. of India.• It is a charitable and non-profit makingorganization working for the welfare of thecommunity since 1992.
• Challenged by the alarming rate of drug abuse cases and issues in Manipur, NSCP was formed in 1992.• It aims to address social challenges and problems mainly addiction among the youth.• It provides counselling as well as referral services to help drug addicts, alcoholics etc.
• Many drug addicts have been counselled and encouraged to take HIV/AIDS test.• NSCP conducted many awareness programs and workshops especially in schools.• NSCP succeeded in creating awareness and making various schools in Imphal tobacco free.• NSCP carried out various sensitisation programs in remote areas/villages in the state.
• In 2001, responding to the burning issue of HIV and AIDS menace in the state, NSCP started addressing the problems faced by HIV+ widows and orphans.• To provide care and support to destitute and poor HIV+ orphans, Tabitha Home was established.
• WHO estimates 33.4 million people living with HIV worldwide in 2008 of which 2.1 million are children.• An estimated 2.5 million people infected in India (UNAIDS, mid 2007).
• Manipur is one of the six high prevalencestates in India with 2578 HIV positive childrenand the number is growing at an alarmingrate.• Nearly 8% (38,016 cases) of India’s total HIVpositive cases are in the state.
• Active advocacy among the masses.• Create access and linkagefor HIV/AIDS infected peopleto various health facilities.
• Awareness and counseling. • Help and assist HIV+ widows to attain sustainable economic means of livelihood.
• Strong networking and referral services.• Organise Health Camps inviting infected andaffected people.
Purpose of Health CampsHealth Camps are specificallydesigned for people who aredeprived of proper guidanceand treatment due to poverty,lack of education (on HIV/AIDS), geographical locationetc.• Five Health Camps have been conducted till date• Free health check-ups• Free medicine supply• Counseling
• Total 12 children residing at the Home.• 6 children on ART (Anti-Retroviral Therapy).• Regular health check-ups and CD4 count tests done.• Education for the children.• No regular fund or assistance.• 7 regular staffs (on voluntary basis).
• Separate dormitories for boys and girls.• Medical treatment expenses.
• Sustainable and regular funds. • Support for education.• Salary for the staffs.• Support/assistance to conduct HealthCamps.• Set up more health care centers andhomes.
• Separate education center exclusively forHIV+ children along with vocationaltraining centers.• Conduct pre-marital as well as post-marital counseling among the youth.
"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any goodthing I can do to any fellow being,let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again" - William Penn