Welcome to the Using Hitwise to manage your brand My Name is Che Carbis – Asia Pacific Account Director - and - today we have invited Stuart McKeown, Product Director of our Search Marketing Services side of the business, to lend his expert knowledge on this topic. Especially seeing how so much of it revolves around Search. For those Clients that may not be aware, Hitwise has a Search Marketing side to the business – IN FACT – its how the Hitwise story actually began……. Now the catalyst that has prompted today’s webinar was the Recent announcement made by Google to relax their policy of Trademark protection in the UK. Please note at this point the announcement has only been for the UK. But it has raised the point of Brand Protection nonetheless. So the format for today, is to: Run through the announced changes Talk a little about why this is significant and the significance in general on Managing your Brand online Then run through some Hitwise Tools and Data sets that will help you manage all of this. Then time permitting – try and answer some questions at the end. (INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ASK A QUESTION THROUGH WEBEX)
1. Using Hitwise to Protect Your Brand Ché Carbis, Account Director Asia Pacific Stuart McKeown, Search Marketing Product Director Hitwise 13 May 2008
2. Why is this significant? <ul><ul><li>Search engines account for more than 1 in every 4 visits to other sites in Australia </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Google has a significant market share: com.au and .com properties account for 88.5% of AU searches. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Google search properties deliver over 22% of all AU Internet visits. </li></ul></ul>
3. Branded search continues to rise <ul><ul><li>Branded search is on the rise, partly due to the growth of navigational search. </li></ul></ul>
4. UK vs. US vs. AU
5. UK vs. US vs. AU UK: US Gap = 7.6% UK: AU Gap = 6.5%
6. UK vs. US vs. AU UK: US Gap = 7.6% UK: AU Gap = 6.5% 95.7% 88.6% 95.7% 88.6% 91.5%
7. Where does brand search go?
8. Where does brand search go?
9. Search across other engines
10. Non-trademarked terms
11. Brand term permutations
12. Brand term permutations
13. Search term suggestions
14. Search term suggestions
15. Capitalise on search results Real Estate 4% of clicks lost versus 9.82% when not bidding on brand Why Should you bid on your Brand Name?
16. Maximum exposure at low cost <ul><li>52.50% Clickthrough Rate on Exact Match of Brand Name </li></ul><ul><li>$0.03 Average CPC on Exact Match of Brand Name </li></ul>Why Should you bid on your Brand Name?
17. Outbid any competitors bidding on your brand Why Should you bid on your Brand Name? 25-50% Clickthrough Loss 10-14% Clickthrough Loss <ul><li>35%-64% Potential Clickthrough Loss on Brand Name </li></ul><ul><li>Major Competitor benefiting from brand traffic </li></ul>
18. Types of Brand Management for Affiliates Allowed Brand Management with Affiliates Advantages – Works well for product based trademarks. Disadvantages – Competitors can recommend alternative products
19. Types of Brand Management for Affiliates No Bid Policy Brand Management with Affiliates Advantages - Retain all brand traffic to its intended destination. Disadvantages – Lose more traffic to Organic competitor listings
20. Mistakes when Brand Managing Affiliates Brand Management with Affiliates <ul><li>Overwriting affiliates cookie with inhouse affiliate tracking on Branded Terms </li></ul><ul><li>Not specifying Brand Bidding terms in the Affiliate Network or Program Terms & Conditions </li></ul>
21. Brand Monitor Dashboard
22. Brand Monitor Dashboard
23. Brand Monitor Dashboard
24. Brand Monitor Dashboard
25. Brand Monitor Dashboard
26. Brand Monitor Dashboard
27. Brand Monitor Dashboard
28. Brand Monitor Dashboard
29. Brand Monitor Dashboard
30. How to submit a Trademark Exclusion in Adwords Google AdWords has a trademark complaint procedure in place to help trademark owners monitor the use of their trademarked terms by AdWords advertisers. Towards the end of the trademark complaint form , you'll see a section where you can list the “Authorised Entities” you've approved to use your trademarked term(s). Fill in this section and the Trademark team will note these entities during the ad review process. If you do not specifically list authorized users (by either their AdWords Customer ID or their AdWords contact email address), authorised entities may be disapproved for using your trademark term(s). How to protect your brand with Adwords
31. Conclusions <ul><ul><li>Bidding on your own brand name is crucial for maximum exposure </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Make your Terms & Conditions known to Affiliates </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Search Engines are the dominant traffic driver, with Google search properties referring significant volumes </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Search is becoming increasingly navigational highlighting the importance of monitoring brand search online </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Hitwise search tools will allow you to monitor your brand’s progress online. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Setting up a Brand Monitor Dashboard is a great way to start monitoring your brand traffic ahead of Google’s changes. </li></ul></ul>