Transcript of "Expected near-term developments in satellite personal location, tracking, messaging and distress alerting devices"
People Tracking and Location 2009
December 2-3, 2009
VP and General Manager, Data Division, Iridium
1 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
The One True Global Network
Anyone can promise you the
world. Only Iridium can deliver. Worldwide Coverage
• The only truly global voice and
data communications service
• 66 LEO cross-linked satellites
• A single subscriber device works
• Reliable, low latency connection
1 Month’s Commercial Short-Burst Data Traffic
2 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Focusing on the Future
Realizing our bold vision of global leadership every day.
• Publicly traded on NASDAQ as IRDM
• Provides NEXT funding foundation
• Enables continued growth and business partnerships
• Consistent growth in revenue, subscribers and partnerships
• Continued solid financial performance
• Q3 2009 Highlights
• Q3 ’09 Operational EBITDA = $38.4 million
• Data Subscribers up 45.2% compared to Q3 ’08
• Data Service Revenue up 48.3% over Q3 ‘08
3 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Focusing on the Future
Iridium NEXT — Unleashing the Power of Opportunity
We are constantly innovating and finding new ways
to expand the possibilities.
• Next generation constellation anticipated to begin
launching in 2014
• Planned to maintain today’s 66 cross-linked
satellite LEO architecture
• Unmatched global coverage
• Backwards compatibility for existing Iridium customers
• Expected to offer:
• Improved data rates, quality of voice service
• Enhanced IP-based performance and subscriber
• A new communications platform for space applications
• Hosted payloads: Unprecedented capabilities
4 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Satellite Communications: “Instant Infrastructure”
• Highly survivable (physical survivability and robustness).
• Independent of terrestrial infrastructure.
• Able to provide load sharing and surge capacity for larger sites.
• Best for redundancy, path diversity and link availability.
Optimal Uses for Satellite Networks
• Terrestrial infrastructure is unavailable, damaged or overloaded.
• Widely distributed networks need interconnection.
• Interoperability between disparate systems and networks is
• Broadcasting services over very wide areas is required.
• Mobile/transportable wideband and narrowband are needed.
5 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Rugged, Reliable and Ready to Go — EVERYWHERE
Maritime Aviation Government Land/Mobile Data
Voice & data Voice & data Voice & data Commercial voice Low latency, global
communications in communications in the communications subscribers applications
international waters, sky in-theater
Sea Area A4 • Disaster • Hundreds of applications
• Flight following • Over-the-Horizon • Emergency/rescue • Fleet management
• Crew calling • Cockpit • Netted operations • Container tracking
• Fisheries mgmt communications • Blue Force Tracking • In-Network calling • Oil and Gas telemetry
• Man-overboard • Air safety services • Unattended Sensors • Regional Pricing • Oceanographic data
• High Speed Data • Quality Network • 2-way personal tracking
• SSAS devices
6 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Ready to work anytime and everywhere you need it
Short Burst Data Satellite Handheld Phone
Track your interests The tough customer chosen by even
everywhere — simply and reliably tougher customers
• Environmental monitoring • Voice and data communications anywhere
• Pipeline monitoring in the world
• Distress and alarm • Just like dialing a GSM phone
• GPS compatible
• Asset tracking
7 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Taking the network and devices to growing global demand
The Iridium Ecosystem
is expanding and
increasing the reach
to end customers
VAM End Customers
8 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Short Burst Data Service
9601 SBD Transceiver Equipment
M2M Iridium Application centre
Package Gateway Host Server
Iridium Data Growth
SBD Traffic (Kbytes) Partners in key market segments
• Asset Monitoring
12,000,000 • Aviation
• Automatic Vehicle Location
8,000,000 106% CAGR • First Response/Search & Rescue
6,000,000 • Maritime
• Oil & Gas
• People Location & Tracking
2005 2006 2007 2008
10 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Iridium Data Benefits Summary
• Strong feature set
• Global, real time satellite network availability
• Low latency
• Small device and antenna
• Optimal for 270 character MT, 340 character MO
• Single global agreement with network owner
• No roaming
• One price globally
• Single device – worldwide operation capabilities
• Ease of hardware and antenna integration
• Iridium data deployed today in hundreds of mission critical
11 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Iridium People Tracking & 2-Way Messaging
2-way data, anywhere in the world, in 30-60 seconds
• 2-way messaging
• 2-way emergency communications
• Eliminate false alarms
• Determine what resources to respond with
• Notify sender that help is on the way
• Automatic tracking
• Over-the-air device configuration
GLOBAL 2-WAY LOW LATENCY REAL-TIME
12 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
• Rapid adoption of 2-way location, tracking, messaging technologies.
• Creating awareness of needed standards public-safety.
• Collaborative industry standards development.
• Ensuring interoperability with first responders and SAR authorities.
• Advocating for 2-way personal locating/messaging solutions.
• Inaugural meeting at Annual Iridium Partners Conference in January.
13 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
ProTECTS Alliance Members
Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
ProTECTS Alliance End-Use Customers
• U.K. RNLI • Cougar Helicopters
• Iditarod Trail Committee • EagleMed
• U.S. DoD • Era Helicopters
• U.K. MoD • German Air Rescue
• Mainland Air
• Baja 1000
• Noordzee Helicopters
• Ocean Pacific Race
• Otago Reg. Helicopters
• NZ Rescue Coordination Ctr
• Prism Helicopters
• USDA Forest Service
• REACH Air Medical Svcs.
• New Zealand Coast Guard
• Air Logistics • Sundance Helicopters
• Air Methods • Yellowhead Helicopters
• CALSTAR • VIH Helicopters
15 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential
Meeting the World’s People Tracking Requirements.
Iridium delivers the world without limits, without
compromise and without exception.
Iridium is unmatched for near real-time services and
Iridium manufactures rugged, reliable and easy to integrate
Iridium is advancing the way global enterprises do business
Iridium is growing, profitable and on-track to launch Iridium
16 Iridium Proprietary and Confidential