H:llary: Welcome to Recruiting Trends Best Practice Series. And Happy Earth Day to you all – we are happy you will be attending today’s program…. green recruiting practices – Its good to be green! (((Next slide
Anna: Today’s presenters are (((Next slide
Intuitive understanding, been around But if you had to explain to son or daughter, it would give pause
So let’s talk about what we’re seeing the market today…
Raise your hand if you had an account on facebook or linkedin 5 years ago; Five years ago, it was not evident if social networks were going to be a big trend. Today, they’re mainstream. They are beginning to replace email, photo sharing, instant messaging and even becoming the primary method to keep in touch with friends.
You all know the numbers, and they are mindboggling. 1 out of 14 people on the planet is now on Facebook. LinkedIn gets a million new users every 10 days or so. Someone says something on Twitter 65 million times every day. And each of these sites is growing by at least 100,000 new users per day.
Social networks are growing fast. Facebook just crossed 300M profiles, about 6 months after it crossed 200 million. Its growing at a staggering 600k profiles per day. Linked has more modest numbers with about 45M profiles, but it grows by an additional million profiles about every 15 days.
Finally: Twitter. About 11% of the internet population uses Twitter. Twitter numbers are harder to gauge because its used on its web site, via mobile phones and on desktop clients. But I want to talk to about why its different than any other medium
About 3M tweet each day But what’s more important is who these people are Twitter is actually aging in reverse, meaning that the demographic on Twitter are generally adults, not kids
Trend #3: More people read blogs than newspapers Blogging is citizen journalism at its best and its worst But the grass roots nature of blogging has made is totally mainstream
Today, there are 200 million blogs Today, a blog is created every second And each second, 17 blog posts are added on the 200M+ blogs that are out there
What I want you to take away is this That for any possible topic – any industry, occupation, location, or their combination, there is a blog out there, and people reading it Its up to you to find it, and target the audience that is on it We’ll talk about how to do that
Some of the larger blogs out there have real readership now Consider Perl.com the largest site for perl developers has 130,000 readers Payments News, a niche blog around those involved in online payments has 45,000 readers Nurse Education is a niche site with 7,000 readers The niche audiences are out there, you just have to find them
Social job search happens when you every job with every friend online. We know that about half of all hiring is done via referrals. So referrals have always been happening. But now, we’re going to bring them online.
This is an area Simply Hired has invested a lot into over the past few years. When you’re on the Simply Hired site, you can “opt-in” to use your Facebook and LinkedIn networks while you are searching for jobs. The entire experience is kept private, so your network does not find out you’re looking for a job.
This is the search results page on Simply Hired. Notice that next to each job, you see who you know at that company based on your social network.
Simply Hired also breaks down your network for you. You can see all your friends grouped by the company they work at. You can see companies where have you have the most friends. Based on your profile, it will even try to surface jobs at companies where you would like to work.
We took it back to the beginning Started out with recruiter profiles…be sure to make changes on all of your profiles no t just linkedIn Even if you don’t want to use Facebook for work – you can make your profile visible to everyone on the Info tab and direct candidates to your LinkedIn profile and to the Intuit Careers sites
www.linkedin.com Profile Edit My Profile Public Profile Customize your URL Enter chosen name (LI will check for availability) Set Address
www.linkedin.com Settings Public Profile Full View Check all the boxes
Select Account Privacy Settings Customize Settings Connecting on Facebook– View Settings – Select Everyone for: Search for me on Facebook Send me a message See my education and work See your likes activities and other connections (*preview to see if you want this one everyone or friends only) Under Sharing on Facebook / Customized Settings - Things You Share – Select Everyone for: Websites (like LI and Twitter) Contact email Bio and favorite quote (use this area to attract employers) Select friends only for Birthday (do not include year) Religious and political associations Photos and videos
2. Metrics are Easy! – Analytics? Now We’re April 29, 2009 SHRM Staffing Management Conference & Exposition Sponsored By:
3. <ul><li>Tips for using your Control Panel </li></ul><ul><li>Audio Mode </li></ul><ul><li>How to ask a Question </li></ul><ul><li>Grab Tab </li></ul>
4. Matt Baum, Inside Sales Manager Simply Hired http://www.SimplyHired.com [email_address] @ simplymattbaum Leslie Mason, Senior Recruiter Intuit http://intuitcareers.com/ [email_address] @leslie12002 Gail Houston, Social Media Program Manager Intuit http://intuitcareers.com/ [email_address] @ghouston
5. A (somewhat incomplete) Timeline of Social Media
6. INTRODUCTION What is social media?
7. It’s about conversations…
8. Not about who can make the most noise
9. Companies don’t control it…
10. People do
11. MARKET TRENDS Why should we care?
12. 2/3 of the global Internet population use social networks REASON #1
13. The rise of the social web 600M+ 143M+ Monthly Visitors (U.S.) 600M+ Monthly Visitors (worldwide) 600K+ Daily New Members 100M+ 20M+ Monthly Visitors (U.S.) 45M+ Monthly Visitors (worldwide) 100K+ Daily New Members 200M+ 29M+ Monthly Visitors (U.S.) 84M+ Monthly Visitors (worldwide) 460K+ Daily New Members Registered Users Registered Users Registered Users
14. 200,000,000 minutes spent on Facebook daily
15. The first 5 years 2008 Facebook is translated into more than 40 languages. The fastest-growing group of members is people over 35. February 2008 to January 2009 Facebook begins at Harvard, and expands to a few universities at a time. February 2004 to January 2005 2004
16. 100,000,000 LinkedIn Members
17. 12% of the U.S. population uses Twitter
18. 140,000,000 the number of tweets sent each day
19. Companies with the highest followers on Twitter <ul><li>Google 3,200,000+ </li></ul><ul><li>NBA 2,600,000+ </li></ul><ul><li>Whole Foods 1,900,000+ </li></ul><ul><li>Zappos 1,800,000+ </li></ul><ul><li>JetBlue 1,600,000+ </li></ul><ul><li>Starbucks 1,500,000+ </li></ul>
20. More people read blogs than newspapers REASON #2
26. Job search and social networks converge Recruiting Impact
27. 8 million job listings 600 million friends Social Job Search
29. Friends appear next to each job listing
31. Most want to be social but don’t know how So What Can You Do?
32. Create profiles that attract talent - before
33. LinkedIn Instructions - Profile applicants
34. Select your LinkedIn user name <ul><li>www.linkedin.com </li></ul><ul><li>Profile </li></ul><ul><li>Edit My Profile </li></ul><ul><li>Public Profile </li></ul><ul><li>Customize your URL </li></ul><ul><li>Enter chosen name (LI will check for availability) </li></ul><ul><li>Set Address </li></ul>Create public profile URL
35. Find your profile on LinkedIn thru Google
36. Make your Facebook profile visible but private Talk about your group – use skill words List Your Websites Bio – highlight what you do
37. Facebook Recommendations for your profile
38. Select your Facebook user name
39. Facebook profile view for friends
40. Facebook profile view for non friends They don’t need to be your friend They just need to know what you do and how to connect
42. Google is now a “verb” which means people are using it to search – shouldn’t you be found?
43. Create a Blog Blogspot – 5 th most searched website in the world – June 2011
44. Create your social media signature line <ul><li>Renaming Naming a Hyperlink </li></ul><ul><li>Copy the URL you want to rename – www.intuitcareers.com </li></ul><ul><li>Right click on the URL </li></ul><ul><li>Click Edit Hyperlink </li></ul><ul><li>Text to Display (at the top) – this is what you are naming your Hyperlink – in our case Intuit Careers </li></ul><ul><li>Address (at the bottom) – this should contain your URL address </li></ul><ul><li>Gail Houston∙ Social Media Program Manager / Recruiter </li></ul><ul><li>Leslie Mason ∙ Senior Recruiter </li></ul><ul><li>Intuit ∙ Intuit Careers ∙214.387.2000 </li></ul><ul><li>firstname.lastname@example.org ∙ [email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>Find Intuit on: Facebook ∙ LinkedIn ∙ Twitter ∙ YouTube ∙ Slideshare </li></ul>
45. The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed. – William Gibson in The Economist , Dec 4, 2003 “
46. Metrics are Easy! – Analytics? Now We’re April 29, 2009 SHRM Staffing Management Conference & Exposition Time for your Questions
47. How to learn more about Intuit Careers Join: Intuit Careers on YouTube - www.youtube.com/intuitcareers Intuit Careers on Facebook - www.facebook.com/intuitcareers Intuit On LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/company/intuit/careers Intuit Careers LinkedIn Group - http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=2435394 Intuit Careers Slideshare - http://www.slideshare.net/intuitcareers Follow: @intuitcareers – Intuit Careers Twitter ID @ghouston – Gail Houston – Social Media Program Manager - Recruiter @leslie12002 – Leslie Mason – Right Talent – Senior Recruiter
48. *Source: Internal metrics verified with third parties (Google Analytics and Quantcast) About • The leading search engine for jobs • Aggregate jobs from thousands of sources across the web • Largest job database with 8 million jobs worldwide • Sites in 23 countries and 12 languages • Distributes jobs to a network of 10,000 partners • Network audience of 22+ million people * each month • Key partnerships :
49. Thank you for joining us! The presentation and recording will be made available on RecruitingTrends.com