1. Second year Lab Medicine (Females) 1433- 1434 A.H. / 2012- 2013 Microbiology Practical (Course I)• By: Hibah A. W. Abusulaiman
2. Once upon a time… Please don’t sleep
3. Fashionable friends
5. Sara started the preparation early
6. She got a luxurious manicure and padicure plus…
7. An elegant evening gown
8. Lubna started the preparation 2 days before the wedding
9. She got an elegant evening gown, but…
10. A poor manicure and padicure
11. Both attended the wedding in…
12. After 45 days, Lubna was suffering from…
13. Diagnosed as Hepatitis Patient
14. After discussion with the Doctor, sheknew it’s because of the poor hygienic manicure and pedicure
15. Good hygiene Poor hygiene
16. Destruction of Microorganisms
17. So, do you think we are in a war with…?!
18. Simply because they are the agents of… Contamination, infection and decay
19. Early civilization
20. In the 1800s Aseptic techniques invented toprevent contamination of surgical wounds
21. Many organizations classified infectioncontrol systems and substances into:• Physical methods.• Chemical methods. Referred broadly as Germicides
22. Germicidal systems fall into three categories:1. Decontamination.2. Disinfection.3. Sterilization.
23. 1. Decontamination:• Reduction of pathogenic microorganisms to be safe to handle without protective attire.• The Lowest level of control.• Includes physical cleaning with soap and detergents and removing of most organic and inorganic materials.• It is the critical step toward disinfection and steilisation.
24. 2. Disinfection:• Disinfectants are liquid chemical agents that kill targeted pathogens but not spores . It can also be solid or gaseous.• It is the next level of control.
25. 3. Sterilization• The complete elimination of viable organisms including spores.• The highest level of control
26. Factors influencing disinfection• Number of microorganisms.• Species and type of microorganism.• Temperature.
27. Physical ChemicalAntimicrobial Antimicrobial Agents agents Destruction of Microorganisms
28. Physical Antimicrobial Agents • Physical environmental agents can destroy large concentrations of microorganisms in lab cultures or a clinical specimen.
30. Radiation UV LightTo inactivate microorganisms on surfaces
31. Filtration •Filtration is used to remove bacteria, fungi and their endospores from air or solutions.
32. Osmotic Pressure• Extremely hypertonic conditions can cause plasmolysis.
34. AutoclaveMoist heat- Steam sterilization 121OC for 15 min
35. Dry heat160OC for 2 hours OR 170OC for an hour
36. Chemical Antimicrobial Agents• In considering their application to patient care, two general classes: 1. Those destroying pathogenic microorganisms in the environment (disinfectants) or on skin (antiseptics). 2. Those administered to patients for treatment of infectious diseases (antimicrobial agents, often called antibiotics).
37. Desinfectants Disinfectant Bctericidal Sporicidal Fungicidal Viricidal Ethyl and Good Poor Good good isopropyl alcohols Chlorine Good Good Good Good DisinfectantsFormaldehyde Good Good Good Good andGlutaraldehyde Hydrogen Good Good Good Good peroxide Iodophors Good Poor Good Good
38. Evaluating a disinfectant• Direct spray method.• Testing the quality of disinfectant from different brands.
39. Testing Disinfectant from Different Brands 0.5 mL 5 mL Bacterial 5 mL Clorox 5 mL DAC 5 mL Gento 5 mL DettolSuspension in Nutrient Broth (Control)
40. Testing Disinfectant from Different Brands Water BathBacterial Suspension in Nutrient Bacteria in DAC Bacteria in Gento Bacteria in Dettol Broth (Control) Bacteria in Clorox
41. Testing Disinfectant from Different Brands 2 Loopfulls 48 hrs Water Bath Incubation in the 37O C After 5min After 10 min in After 20 min inBacterial Suspension in in Water Bath Water Bath Water BathNutrient Broth (Control)
42. Observe the bacterial growth
43. Objectives• Some infection control terms.• Factors influencing disinfectants.• Physical destruction of microorganisms.• Chemical destruction of microorganisms.• Methods of evaluating disinfectants.
44. Thank you for listening Any questions?!
45. Thank you for paying attention Any questions?!