1. A PowerPoint Presentation by: RADMILA TESIC NATASA PRCIC
2. Ireland is west of the United Kingdom (England,Scotland, Wales). Northern Ireland is part ofthe United Kingdom. Ireland is across theAtlantic Ocean from the U.S.
3. THE CAPITAL OF IRELAD IS DUBLIN
4. It rains a lot inIreland, makingeverything verygreen. It is oftencalled “TheEmerald Isle.”
5. The flag of Ireland is green, white and orange. The green represents Catholics,the orange is for Protestants, and the whitesymbolizes the hope for peace between the two groups.
6. The National Holiday is March 17, St.Patrick’s Day, named after the PatronSaint of Ireland.
7. Why do they celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in America?•Many Americans have Irish ancestors,meaning their parents, grandparents or great-grandparents came from Ireland.•It’s fun to celebrate holidays from aroundthe world. Even if you’re not Irish, you canenjoy celebrating the holiday by wearinggreen, which is also a sign of spring.
8. Most people in Ireland speakEnglish, but a few still speakGaelic. You might hearsomeone say “Erin go bragh”on St. Patrick’s Day, which isGaelic for “Ireland forever.”
9. The harp is a symbol of Ireland. It can be seenon the presidential flag and on the back of theIrish Euro coin. A Euro is worth about $1.32.
10. The shamrock is anothersymbol of Ireland. It isalways worn on St. Patrick’sDay.
11. Castles and ruins are found all over Ireland.
12. The Giant’s Causeway is a mass ofstone columns that extend from a cliffin Northern Ireland and disappearunder the sea towards Scotland. Theywere formed by a volcanic eruption 60million years ago. However, theancients believed it to be the work of agiant named Fin M’Coul.
13. The Celts, warriors fromwestern Europe, controlledIreland for 1000 years. Todaythe term “celtic” is often used torefer to anything traditionallyIrish, such as celtic music andceltic dance. Dance, music,holidays, and traditions are allpart of a people’s culture.
14. GEOGRAPHY• The geography of Ireland describes an island in northwest Europe in the north Atlantic Ocean. The main geographical features of Ireland include low central plains surrounded by a ring of coastal mountains.
15. Celtic music usestraditional instrumentssuch as the fiddle, tinwhistle, and bodhran(Irish drum).
16. Sinn Fein- Republic Ireland• Sinn Fein – The political wing of Republicanism and the IRA. Leader-Gerry Adams