• For this project we will be running a guinea pig farm. There will be 100 guinea pigs.• We will need to know how much the total amount of guinea pig food will cost, how often we will need to buy food, how many babies they will have each year and how many times we will need to clean the cages.
• We made a scale model of a section of the enclosure.• We used modelling clay for the guinea pigs but there was no brown so we used red.• We used card for the enclosure.
• Guinea Pigs are vegetarian so they like herbs and vegetables. On the farm we will grow parsley, carrots, lettuce and cucumbers.• Every day we will feed each guinea pig 2 slices of carrot, 3 leaves of lettuce, 4 slices of cucumber and a stalk of parsley. That’s 100 times each serving, times 365 days.• Altogether 365000 pieces of herb and vegetable will be shared between the guinea pigs each year.
• We will also have to give them guinea pig food for the vitamin c.• Guinea pigs need 10 mg of vitamin c every day. In total, each guinea pig needs 3.650 g of vitamin c each year.
• For cleaning, we will need to clean the cages every two days. Every year, the cages will need to be cleaned 182 times.• For 20 cages (20x182) the total amount of cleaning will be 3640 times.
• According to our calculations and the internet, there will be approximately 1250 babies given birth to at the farm a year. We will sell quite a lot of guinea pigs, but the leftover ones will be fed according to the earlier shown diet.• If we sold 625 that would leave another 625 to feed which would end up as 228125000 more pieces of herb and vegetable.