1. ‘FRESH’ Magazine Evaluation Raja Rouf
2. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?Throughout the production of my media products I have used real conventions and forms to give myselfguidance/direction that I intend to go towards with my own products. However I challenged the article by using acurrent artist’s album as a topic of the main article, many magazines only review albums vaguely, in my DPS analbum has been reviewed and rated in full depth. This gives the audience a clear/detailed insight of the album.The preliminary task really helped me get a clear view on what I really wanted to achieve and create with my finalproduct. Doing three textual analysis’s allowed me to discover and recognise different demographics for differentgenre magazines, for example Kerrang magazine dresses their front cover models in darker colours unlike themagazine Vibe they use a different route and focus more on the manipulation of photos to create a greater effect.
3. As I analysed three different magazines to give myself a clearer understanding on a wider scale of magazinegenres: Kerrang, Q, RWD. I found that Q magazines are very specific in their colour schemes, for example Qdesigners will dress the model in clothes that will match or blend well with the colour of font (Cheryl ColeEdition).After analysing magazines I began to plan the conventions for my media products. My main intention was toattract the audience; I figured this can be done by bold, loud colours/fonts, using various Buzz words, also byusing a young an attractive model. From my field research (questionnaires) I collected I came to a conclusion thatthe audience must first be drawn to the magazine this is the first step to them purchasing the magazine, oncebeing drawn to the magazine they have an incentive to purchase it.For my colour scheme for my front cover I knew which colours would co-ordinate well. As it was a Hip-Hop/RnB/Grime/Bashment genre the colour scheme was fairly flexible, in the end the colour scheme consistedoff: Black, white, yellow, red. The background of the front cover was filled with black which allowed the othercolours to strongly stand out.
4. Personally I believe that the images of a front cover are essential, once the correctimage is enforced the rest of the cover fits into place. The model for my magazine waschosen carefully **Image Connor* a male model was chosen for the front cover of themagazine, this is because throughout the Hip-Hop/RnB/Grime/Bashment industrymales artists dominate. My model is a young handsome multi-ethnic individual(Jamaican and English). Due to his well-recognised fashion sense the female audiencewill also be highly attracted to the magazine, his posture and attitude towards thecamera also reflect his personality/character which is recognised by the audience alsoIn my DPS I have used an attractive female model which will be highly popular withthe dominating male audience.
5. How does your media product represent a particular social group?Social groups are represented through my media products, this is mainly formed by: genre, images,, fonts, colourschemes. Fresh magazine’s target audience is teenagers from 16 to 19 are who are interested in their music andthe meaning of the music they listen to. Fonts and colours are essential because the two elements work togetherto attract the audience. On the cover of Fresh this has been generated by having a black background whichallows colours of fonts stand out, my house colours black, white, yellow and red to co-ordinate well, especiallyyellow because yellow is very bright which allows buzz words to be bigger and bolder than the other words onthe cover.
6. The fonts used are San Serif which automatically fit in with the demographics (age) of the targetaudience, San Serif font is recognised by teenagers which will give the reflection that Fresh magazine ismodernised; this gives them another incentive to purchase the magazine. A unique part of my front coverwould be the Masthead this is because the font used is very bold. The font fits in very well with the genreand the title of the Magazine FRESH, it is not a standard font, the font outlines the letters but does not fillthe letter with the font this makes the magazine name very distinctiveAs I had to choose an image for my magazine I found it very difficult to choose one image. The image had toreflect character. Finally I chose an image of my male model directly addressing the camera, he was notsmiling but he was slightly smirking, the female audience will perceive him as a ‘Cheeky’. His posture is verystraight/upright, he is positioned slightly facing the side this pose gives a more 3D effect to his imagebecause you can see the side and the front of his body. Connor (the model) was dressed in colours to blendin slightly with the background, his jacket was shiny black which will stand out against the plain blackbackground, he has his hands in his pockets and also slightly smirking as mentioned before, his actions inthe image present him giving ‘Attitude’ towards the camera. Attitude fits in directly with the genre of themagazine, artists within the Hip-Hop/RnB/Grime/Bashment are known for giving out attitude in front ofcameras and being cocky,
7. What kind of Media Institution might distribute your media product and why?Fresh magazine could be distributed by the institution ‘Inter Media’ who are top sellersof magazines such as Vibe within the UK and United States. Vibe magazine similar toFresh magazine, the main genre is Hip-Hop and Urban music supporters, this aspectlinks in with Fresh Magazine, currently Inter Media are selling Vibe magazine and doingvery well this proves that Inter Media could also sell Fresh magazine.Inter Media are established in the media industry and have various networks which willguarantee Fresh magazine to be on the top shelf of the High Street shops. Thesenetworks creates the opportunity for Fresh to be distributed on a wider scale, thisgenerates brand awareness for Fresh. The more Newsagents, music shops Fresh ispresented in the higher chance of Fresh being recognised by the target audience.
8. Who would be the audience for my media product?For my media products a target audience needed to be considered. As I consideredmy genre for my media products I chose my target audience to be: teenagers from 17to 19 who are interested in the meaning of music. My media products are open toboth genders but more towards the Male audience this is because the genre issupported more by the male audience.The audience are mainly into Hip-Hop/RnB/Bashment/Grime music, because thegenre reflects that type of music. These genres are very popular, but there is yet to bea magazine that considers all four genres, that is why Fresh magazine has the potentialto be very successful in the magazine market.
9. How did you Address/Attract your audience?In my media products images were the main method of attracting the audience. If the imagewas realistic the audience will be interested in the product, which then leads to the layout of theproduct. For example if the image and the layout look realistic the audience are more attractedwhich can lead to them purchasing product. On the layout I used cover lines which wouldoverlap the image, this makes the product come across as effective. House colours are anothermain method of attracting the audience, if the house colours co-ordinate well then the audiencewill address the product in a positive manor but if the product has been generated by, rash,opposite colours the audience may be put off.The main image gives a instant signal that the product is for mature, urban music fans. In thedouble page spread an image is placed in the bottom right corner of young female, she is posingwith her arms in the air/ stroking her hair, legs wide apart, tight trousers shaping her legs. Thistype of pose creates a ‘sexy’ mentality. The target audience 16 – 19 are able to understand theimage unlike younger teenagers.
10. On my front cover I used buzz words such as ‘EXCLUSIVE’ to atract the audience,exclusive represents, an item or story published or broadcast by only one source - thatitem being an interview which will only be reduced by Fresh Magazine. Thisencourages the audience to purchase the magazine.
11. The Left Third gives a slight idea to the audience about the main article. I chose tochange certain words in a different font and size. All the information was presentedin a Red font at the same size, I changed the colour of 3 words to a bold yellow, Ialso changed these 3 words into a differender bolder font (Impact) and increasedthe size. The main aim of doing this was for the audience to read a message withinthe information presented before reading the whole text.
12. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?Throughout this process I have learned a lot and developed a lot of skills. I created myproducts by using Serif Photo Plus and Serif Page Plus. These two software’s were providedby my school, they were available on all school computers. At first I struggled to use thesoftware because I was not familiar with the different types of tools, but over type Iincreased my knowledge and recognition of the tools and methods of manipulation. Thereare several editing methods I have learnt, one would be transparency, I am now able tomake the background of the image completely transparent. Doing this allows me to put theimage on any document and it will blend in with the background. Another skill I have learntis how to make a standard original photo look more realistic and effective, making theimage look brighter and sharper, this can be done by editing the contrast and saturation ofthe image.
13. Looking back at your preliminarytask, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?Comparing by preliminary task and my final product shows that I have improved mytarget audience understanding, this is linked to the layout of my final product andalso the house colours of the products. The colours used in my preliminary task arevery dull and boring but within my final product the colours are bold and attractive.My preliminary task comes across as a low amateur standard piece of work. But overtime my final product has shown a drastic difference in creativity and style incomparison to my preliminary task.