EME 5050: Fundamentals of Technology for Educators Dr. Kelvin Thompson Presented by: Hadil Ashqar Date: Oct.23.2011
Generally, they all revolve around the idea of combiningthe art of telling stories with a variety of digitalmultimedia, such as images, audio, and video. Just aboutall digital stories bring together some mixture of digitalgraphics, text, recorded audio narration, video and musicto present information on a specific topic.
Definition:Digital storytelling is the practice of combining narrativewith digital content, including images, sound, andvideo, to create a short movie, typically with a strongemotional component.There are many websites explain what is theDigital Storytelling for example:http://edweb.fdu.edu/folio/FrancoE/ST/index.html
• Uses Digital Storytelling in Education:• As Explain the Complex Subject• To Introduce the New Ideas and New Events• Learn the Students to Use Technology• As Hook to Capture the Attention of Students and Increasing their Interest in Exploring New Ideas• To Summarize Units.
• Six Elements of Good StorytellingLiving in the story Showing not telling EconomizingLessons learned Craftsmanship Creative tension
• How Digital Storytelling Benefit the Students ?• Encourages collaborative learning- students problem solve and bounce ideas off each other• Allows students to learn and present in their individual learning style• Motivating to students because it relates to their personal experiences or interests• Enhances writing by requiring students to consider a wider audience, not just their teacher
• How Digital Storytelling Benefit the Students ? • Allows students to share work with a large audience that can reach outside the classroom • Provides a non threating way for students to read their writing aloud • Practical and meaningful way to learn new technology • Increases "digital literacy"
• The following skills have been identified and cross-referenced with National Standards, NETS-S• Creativity and Inventive Thinking• Cognitive Apprenticeship• Enduring Understanding• Effective Communication• Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles• Teaming and Collaboration
• References:• Educause Learning Initiative, 7 Things you Sould Know about… Digital Storytelling. Jan 2007http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7021.pdf Digital photography and video guide, Digital storytelling, Digital photography and video guide, 2008• http://www.adobe.com/education/instruction/adsc/pdf/digital_storytelling.pdf• Bernard R. Robin, The Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling, University of Houston, 2011• http://digitalliteracyintheclassroom.pbworks.com/f/Educ-Uses-DS.pdf• Bernard Robin, The Educational uses of Digital Storytelling,2011• http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/index.html• Digital Storytelling• http://edweb.fdu.edu/folio/FrancoE/ST/benefits.html• Thanks for Google Images