Most jurisdictions’ criminal statutes function as misdemeanor offenses.
1. Animal Law CRJS 230 Hudson Valley Community College Valerie A. Lang, J.D., M.L.S.
2. The New York Times February 27, 1999, Saturday, Late Edition - Final Albany Notes; A Wave of New Bills Bearing Victims' Names
3. Buster’s Law Signed in to law June 28, 1999
6. Buster, November 30 th , 1997
7. Forms of Cruelty: <ul><li>failing to provide food, water, shelter, veterinary care, or </li></ul><ul><li>animal fighting </li></ul><ul><li>acts such as overworking an animal </li></ul><ul><li>atrocious, depraved acts </li></ul>
16. The Unquestionable Link <ul><li>“ On Saturday of last week, I made my first kill. </li></ul><ul><li>The victim was a loved one, </li></ul><ul><li>my dear dog Sparkle. I will never forget the howl she made. </li></ul><ul><li>It sounded almost human. </li></ul><ul><li>We laughed and hit her and hit her more.” - from the diary of Luke Woodham, 16, charged in the stabbing death of his mother, and the shooting deaths of two students and wounding seven others in Pearl, Mississippi. </li></ul>
17. Felony Status In general, a felony is an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in excess of one year is authorized.
18. Buster’s Law <ul><li>§ 353-a. Aggravated cruelty to animals </li></ul><ul><li>1. A person is guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals when, with no justifiable purpose, he or she intentionally kills or intentionally causes serious physical injury to a companion animal with aggravated cruelty. For purposes of this section, "aggravated cruelty" shall mean conduct which: (i) is intended to cause extreme physical pain; or (ii) is done or carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner. </li></ul>
19. "The question is not, Can they reason ? nor, Can they talk ? but Can they suffer ." -Jeremy Bentham
20. <ul><li>At the time of Buster’s tragedy, only 17 states had felony cruelty laws. </li></ul><ul><li>As 2010, 46 states have some felony provisions in their anti-cruelty laws. </li></ul>
21. <ul><li>The Times Union (Albany, New York) </li></ul><ul><li>November 9, 2007 Friday 1 EDITION </li></ul><ul><li>`Buster's Law' ex-con indicted in sexual assault </li></ul>
22. “ Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Dr. Martin Luther King