3. Neal Cavalier-SmithDirector of ConsultingHealthy Marketing TeamGlobal specialists in Strategic Direction for health.1. Brand New: How to create and launch the right new idea2. Brand Direction: How to choose “Where to Play” in the market3. Brand Rescue: How to deal with a failing brand Neal Cavalier-Smith has lived and worked as a Brand Strategy Consultant all around the world and visited more than 80 countries. • Chair: World Food Technology and Ingredients Forum, Rotterdam • Chair: Agra Innovations in Value Added Dairy • Chair & Speaker: Dairy Futures conference, Budapest • Speaker: Functional Drinks Forums, London, Geneva • Judge: International Beverage Innovation Awards
4. Three short sections1. Who is your consumer?2. Successes and Failures with Stevia3. Rules of Stevia Marketing
5. First, let me ask you a question...
6. Can you remember when milk was just milk?
7. From Tech-push to Consumer-pull Target-groups: Toddler’s milk Milk for women Yoghurt for middle-aged men Calcium-fortifiedTech push Lactose–free Consumer pull Omega 3 Milk Semi-skimmed milk Skimmed milk Second brand Full-fat milk 1980 1990 2000 Source: TetraPak
8. Adding even more value? £2.11 £0.45 or £0.35 per 100ml or £0.07 per 100ml There’s a group of people willing to pay 7x more to feed their cat
9. Key rule:All consumers are NOT alike… ? ? ? ? ? ? People pay for value as they perceive it.
10. If you need tofind your way,in this complexlandscape, youneed a map
11. Introduction to the HealthyMarketing MapUnderstanding the rules
12. The HMT Map: 4 Stakeholders in HEALTHHere’s the map we use with our clients. I’m going to:• Describe each territory we’ve got in the map• Explain how can you segment that territory to more precisely target your consumer EARLY MASS MARKET STAKEHOLDERSWe borrow a model from the technology market because new healthtechnologies develop the same way.
13. Mobile phone market example Driven by EMOTION Excellent price-PREMIUM Communication LIFESTYLE Driven by NEED Volume low, price HIGHCommunication RATIONAL Commoditised – Driven by NORMAL Highly price-competitive: low margin Communication on EXTRAS/PRICE
14. Which stakeholder?TechnologyLifestyleEarly massMass
15. Which stakeholder?TechnologyLifestyleEarly massMass
16. Which stakeholder?TechnologyLifestyleEarly massMass
17. Which stakeholder?TechnologyLifestyleEarly massMass
18. Which Stage is your Proposition at? Is it normal / for everybody? DOES IT FIT MY FAMILY TRADITION Is it new / different ?? DOES IT FIT MY VALUES? Does it make me look good &Is it accepted by theMedical Community? FIT WITH MY ROUTINE?DOES IT FIT MY CONDITION
19. Why did this fail?
20. Where does Coca-Cola live? EARLY MASS MARKET STAKEHOLDERS