An On-Line Forum to Support Families with Mental Health Problems
An On-Line Forum to Support
Families with Mental Health
The University of Auckland
School of Nursing and
Supporting Families in Mental Illness
• Emma Doré – SF Auckland.
• Michelle Honey & Michele Yeoman –
University of Auckland School of Nursing
• 3rd Year Students -Charlotte Young, Emi
McGivern, Nicholas McIntosh
A Bit About Families…
Supporting someone you love affected by
mental illness can negatively impact on your:
• Social activities and relationships
• Personal health and wellbeing
• Family relationships
Why Digital Services?
• High social media use in NZ
• Can be a platform to promote and improve health
• Enables conversation topics which can be hard face
A Light Bulb Moment
• Our customers are the most diverse population
we are likely to ever encounter with regard to
• OMG! Baby Boomers are still running the show.
• Move Over Generation X, the Y’s and Z’s can take
it from here.
Integrating Our Values with
• On-line solutions to increase access and
equity to off-line services
• Promoting “real time” connectivity
• Avoiding the technology trap – put people