1. How patient advocacy can heal
a sick healthcare system!
Dr Malpani, MD
HELP – Health Education Library
2. Patients are unhappy with doctors
Seen to be uncaring
Doctors are too busy to talk or to explain
Overtesting and overtreatment
Move to alternative medicine
• Long for the family doctor
of the past…
3. Doctor versus Patient
►Indian patients are becoming increasingly
articulate – they want more information about
their medical conditions
do not have the time or the
inclination to provide this
information in detail
4. Internet positive patients
• Frustrate doctors as well
5. Results ?
Doctors get beaten up and arrested
Hospitals get burnt down
Doctors go on strike
• Everyone suffers !
6. Doctor and Patient
We are all on the same side – the patients’
Medicine is a service profession
Doctors like helping patients
Want them to get better
• How can we create a win-win situation ?
• We need to bridge the gap !
7. We are all patient advocates !
• 1. You are smart . With the right tools, you can
make the right decisions !
• 2. Knowledge is Power !
• 3. Your doctor is your partner
• 4. You cannot afford to leave everything upto
God – or upto the doctor !
8. Changing the healthcare ecosystem –
patient advocacy puts the patient
• Health insurance companies
• Pharmaceutical companies