1. Where do we go from here?Are law schools fit for purpose? Martin Partington Author Introduction to the English Legal System
2. Introductions• A little about my background – Academic – Practitioner – Law reformer – Government adviser• Why did you decide to study law?• What did you read/know about law before you started?• What are your career intentions?
3. What should a law degree offer?• Introduction to principles of law• Introduction to the skills of doing law – Research – Writing – Other skills?• Law and society• Legal system in transition – Understanding of the legal world into which you are going to enter
4. Law and society• Macro functions• Micro functions• Law and orders• The conflicting aims and purposes of law• Human rights
5. Legal system in transition (1)• Public expenditure cuts – Reshaping the estate – New approaches to sentencing – New approaches to the police – New approaches to criminal trial process – The future of legal aid?
6. Legal system in transition (2)• Reshaping the judiciary – diversity• Reshaping family justice – Norgrove report• Reshaping administrative justice – Merging courts and tribunals• Reshaping civil justice – Costs controls: Fixed fees; contingency fees
7. Legal system in transition (3)• Reshaping the legal profession – Legal Services Board – Professional structures – Alternative business structures • The Coop • Virtual practices – Legal services vs lawyers services – Competition – Access to the law – Public legal education – The End of Lawyers?
8. Legal system in transition (4)• Getting an overview: The ‘holistic’ approach – Formal institutions – Informal institutions – New practices and procedures – ‘Proportionate justice’• The variety of law and the justice system
9. Finding out what is going on• The law schools?• Careers services?• Books?• Websites?
10. Introduction to the English Legal System• The book• The online resources – http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199644827 /• The blog – http://martinpartington.com/ – Podcasts• Feedback