1. Hazel Doyle Music Magazine survey results – AS Media Studies
2. I surveyed a group of people I would like to use as my target audience for my magazine, the survey has questions that will help me to find out what kind of features to use in my magazine and the results will give me information on what kind of things my target audience look for in a music magazines, this presentation shows my results from the survey.
3. From my survey results I can see that the three genres of music that are most listened to by my target audience are Dance, Rock and Metal. From this information I have decided to make my music magazine a Rock/Metal magazine.
4. Is music genre important to you when choosing a music magazine? 79% of people I surveyed said YES it is important to them. 21% of people I surveyed said NO, the music genre does not determine their choice of magazine. This shows me that most of my target audience finds genre important and that its important in looking at choosing the right genre(s) to base my magazine on.
5. I found the highest price people were willing to pay for a music magazine was £15 - £20. I also found that most people that bought magazines spent up to £5 a month on them, this gives me the right information for what price to charge for my magazine.
6. My survey showed that there were three music magazines that people bought most were NME, Kerrang! and Metal Hammer. Metal Hammer and Kerrang! were two magazines I looked at during my initial research and I looked at for elements to base my own music magazine on, I think that researching NME would be a good way of blending elements of all three magazine and creating one that appeals to a wider audience.
7. I wasn’t sure whether or not to include a feature on music festivals but when I did my research I found that the majority of the people I surveyed went to music festivals I also looked at which festivals would be the most popular and the best to feature in my magazine.
8. The majority of people that I surveyed that bought music magazines bought them once a month, a monthly magazine would probably attract more attention than a fortnightly or weekly magazine.
9. I found that most people spent between £5-£10 a month on music. This gives the impression that offers on CD’s (possible Free CD give away with my magazine) would work well and catch attention.
10. How do you access new music? 6/19 people said they used TV. 3/19 people said they used radio. 17/19 said they used the internet. I found that the majority of people used more than one way to access new music with the majority looking online, this means using website links in my magazine could be quite effective in attracting my chosen audience.
11. How do you access new music videos? 6 people said they watched them on TV 9 people said they watched them online 4 said they watched them on TV and online. This gives me information to possibly use advertising and websites in my magazine.
12. My survey also showed that the most important things my target audience look for in music magazines are: good images and good colour scheme/design. They also looked for free gifts and exclusive interviews. This gives me aspects to look at for my own music magazine to make it interesting and sellable.
13. Evaluation of results. My survey gives me lots of information into what kind of content I should include in my own music magazine to make it attractive and sellable to my target audience. It gives me information into the types of music to cover in the magazine and the type of article and layouts are effective. It also gives me a good impression on what kind of attitude I should follow for my magazine as I can compare it to my results on which magazines are currently popular and what their attitudes are and the kind of articles they cover.