1. Loading Paper
This section describes how to load paper in the paper drawers.
• The following paper sizes can be loaded in the paper drawers:
- Paper drawers 1, 3: LGL, LTR, LTRR, STMT, and STMTR
- Paper drawers 2, 4: 11" x 17", LGL, LTR, LTRR, STMT, and STMTR
- Paper drawers 3 and 4 can be used when the Cassette Feeding Unit-W1 (option) is attached.
• For details of available paper stock which can be loaded in the paper drawers, see ‘Available Paper
Stock,’ on p. 1-59.
5 Loading Paper in the Paper Drawers
When the selected paper has run out, or the selected paper drawer runs out of paper during
printing, a screen prompting you to load paper appears on the touch panel display.
• When loading paper, take care not to cut your hands on the edges of the paper.
• The message also appears if the selected paper drawer is not fully inserted into the machine. Once
you properly insert the paper drawer, the message disappears.
• If the above message appears during printing, the remaining prints are automatically made after you
load the correct paper. When you select another paper drawer, the remaining prints are made after
you press “OK.”
• To cancel printing, press “Cancel.”
5-2 Loading Paper
2. 1 Press and release the button of the paper drawer in which you want
to load paper.
2 Grip the handle and pull out the paper drawer until it stops.
3 Open a package of paper, and remove the paper stack.
Loading Paper 5-3
• Rewrap any remaining paper in its original package, and store it in a dry place, away from
• Do not load the following types of paper in the paper drawer. Doing so may cause a paper
- Severely curled or wrinkled paper
- Heavyweight paper
- Paper on which color images have been copied.
- Paper which has been copied on using a digital full color copier (do not copy on the reverse
- Paper which has been printed on using a thermal transfer printer (do not copy on the
reverse side either).
• For high-quality print output, use paper recommended by Canon.
4 Turn the opened surface of the paper stack over, and place it in the
5 paper drawer.
Even out the edges of the paper stack. Load the paper stack against the right wall of the
When loading paper in the paper drawer for the ﬁrst time, set the size plate for the paper
When loading paper in the paper drawer, make sure that the paper size setting of the
paper drawer matches the size of paper.
• If the paper is curled, curl it down before placing it in the paper drawer.
• Make sure that the height of the paper stack does not exceed the limit mark at the back
of the paper drawer.
• Each paper drawer holds about 500 sheets of paper (20-lb bond (80g/m2)).
• For details of the print direction of paper already printed with logos or patterns, see
‘Relation of Original Orientation and Paper Orientation,’ on p. 8-9.
5-4 Loading Paper
4. 5 Gently push the paper drawer back into the machine until it clicks.
• When returning the paper drawer to its original position, be careful not to get your
ﬁngers caught, as this may result in personal injury.
• Never place paper or any other items in the open part of the paper drawer next to the paper 5
stack. Doing so may cause paper jams.
• When paper runs out during printing, load new paper, and follow the instructions on the touch
panel display. The machine automatically restarts and produces the remaining prints.
Loading Paper 5-5