Transcript of "Like It Or Spike it: Social Media Case Studies"
With your hosts….!
Dave Peck! David Griner!
Meshin! Luckie & Co.!
To help launch Season 2 of “The Colony,”
Discovery Channel partnered with creative
agency Campﬁre to make a Facebook-based
alternate reality game.!
• Coverage in Mashable, Neatorama, MediaPost,
AdFreak and more!
• Players spent an average of 6 minutes on site,
some as long as 20 minutes!
• 70% of users chose to allow Facebook Connect!
• 59% who reached ﬁnal “tune in” message went
back and re-started the experience!
• 350,000 pageviews in 2 weeks leading up to
For its first global digital ad campaign,
Cosmopolitan created a Facebook Connect
app that simulates being in a Cosmo photo
• Launch coverage in the New York Times — but
almost nowhere else!
• 3,800 users in ﬁrst week
(Facebook fan base for Cosmo: 534,000)!
• Positive feedback from international fans on
Source: !App user data determined by “Monthly Active Users” as of Oct. 10, 2010!
When American Express declined to sell
advance tickets for Pee-wee’s theater revival to
its cardholders, the offer went to his Facebook
fans instead — kicking off a landslide of social
• Twitter: 590,000 followers!
• Facebook: 230,000 Likes!
• Foursquare: 9,500 Friends (up from 4,000 just
days after badge launch)!
• $1.5 million in ticket presales before the ﬁrst ad
• Massive, glowing news coverage !
Sources: !“Pee-wee friends online followers to box ofﬁce,” Variety, Sept. 11, 2010!
! !Social network data updated Oct. 10, 2010!
In September 2010,
Edge shaving gel
began a Twitter
campaign offering to
help those who tweeted
with a #soirritating
hashtag. For some,
rewards included iPod
Touches, PS3s or gift
• “Tremendous feedback,” according to senior
• Campaign extended past September!
• 4,930 tweets using #soirritating hashtag from
Sept. 10 – Oct. 10!
• 2,839 tweets using #soirritating AND
Sources: !“Shaving Away Irritations via Twitter,” TalentZoo.com, Oct. 8, 2010!
! !Hashtag data via Radian6!
In a two-pronged Facebook campaign,
PepsiCo’s Naked is soliciting “your personal
Naked Truth” for a chance at a Costa Rica
vacation and also bringing the effort to college
• 14,615 active app users in ﬁrst two weeks!
• 2,000 photos from campuses (uploaded by
brand), but only a handful from fans!
• Minimal launch coverage!
• Audience (currently 44,000 fans) likely to grow as
print ads and other campaign support begin running!
Source: !Facebook status updated Oct. 11, 2010.!
An hour before the Season 2 premiere of
NBC’s sitcom “Community,” the network played
out a bonus scene on Twitter, with 80
#nbccommunity tweets posted by characters.!
• Extensive preview coverage by Wired, HuffPo,
Entertainment Weekly, Fast Company and more!
• 122,492 total followers for character accounts
(average of 10,200 per character)!
• Viewership (5 million) was down 2.7 million from
Season 1 premiere (after “The Ofﬁce”) !
• BUT ratings were up 16% from debut in 8 p.m. slot
— despite now competing with “Big Bang Theory”!
Sources: !Twitter data updated Oct. 11, 2010.!
! !Ratings info: TVByTheNumbers.com, Wikipedia.com!
In a branded charity effort with Canadian
underwear label Stanfield’s, a cancer survivor
locked himself in his apartment for 25 days. The
goal? 25,000 Likes, yielding $25,000 for the
Canadian Cancer Society.!
• First 9 days: 31,000 Likes (Goal extended to $50K)!
• $1,435 raised through Donation Challenges!
• Clear spike in mentions for Stanﬁeldʼs: !
Sources: !Facebook and donation data updated Oct. 14, 2010.!
! !Conversation data: Radian6!
• Be clear in your goals, and make it easy for your
audience to help you reach them!
• Be original, even it means risking the unknown!
• Base your ideas around the real reasons people
like your brand !
Thanks for your time.!
Want even more opinions from us? !
Dave Peck" David Griner"
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.