1. Getting the Hiring Process Right Greg Longstaff
2. Do you know Einstein’s definition of insanity? Albert Einstein said: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.”
3. Getting the WRONG sale staff can cost you a lot of money … So, why settle for less?
4. A businessman I know adopted a rule that says …If you don’t let them in, then you don’t have to throw them out!
5. Reasons Why the Average Salesperson Doesn’t Get Business• We’re too expensive.• Our discounts weren’t enough.• It wasn’t the right time, they said come back in ‘X’ weeks/months/next year. (….or how about never)!• They don’t have the budget.• We just missed out to another company.• They already have a relationship with another company.• Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra
6. Guess What?Almost all of these are an excuse!
7. Seven Steps to Sales Recruitment, So You Don’t Recruit a Sales Dog!
8. Step 1 – Do You Need Industry Experience? • Of course your industry is different. However sales are based on human psychology and relationships. • They don’t need to have worked in your industry at all.
9. Getting a great salesperson means you seriously need to consider whether you’re willing to train them!• If you are not prepared to train them, then you’ll properly be prepared to accept (and expect) second best ...• …….because truly good sales people expect you to invest in training them properly.
10. Step 2 – Advertise the Right Way• Too many sales recruitment adverts are all about the job. Very little about the sort of person they want to recruit. A REALLY good salesperson
11. Step 2 – Advertise the Right Way Cont’d Your advert needs to go into the best media to capture the type of sales people you want.www.ema.co.nz/the_new_way_to_recruit_staff.htm
12. • An initial $200 credit to get you started.• For $249 +GST you can advertise on Seek, Trade ME & NZ Herald jobs online
13. Step 2 – Advertise the Right Way Cont’d
14. Step 3 – Get their Sales Spiel• Make sure the advert encourages them to phone so you can talk to them before revealing further details about the sales job.
15. Step 2 – Advertise the Right Way Cont’d
16. Step 4 – Conduct a Psychological-based InterviewStep 5 – Perform a Sales Profile Test
17. Step 6 – Decide Fast Slowly• If you’re sure they’re the right fit, make an offer of employment subject to reference checks.
18. Step 7 – Hire Slow, Fire Fast• Have regular reviews to monitor their performance.• Remember if they don’t show signs of making it within their first 90 days, you can use the probation law to move them on.• Don’t hold on to bad sales staff!
19. Once they are in place, make sure they understand … • Your industry. • What you are selling. • Your key competitors. • Your current customers. • The marketing area.
20. If they don’t start bringing in sales, ask yourself the reasons why?
21. Remember keep training and developing them • …..but what if I train them … and they LEAVE? • ….. Well what if you DON’T train them … and they STAY!!Now, let’s look at one of the best ways we can assist you with recruiting great sales staff …