Accelerator - Philanthropitch 2014: Q&A Session for Applicants
APPLICATION Q&A SESSION
March 6, 2014
• Greenlights Team
• Tara Kirkland, Chief Programs & Services Officer
• Steve Guengerich, Chief Innovation Officer
• Kate Smallwood, Development & Membership Manager
• BuildASign.com Team
• Chelsea Manning, Community Advocate
Who is in the room?
A Unique New Partnership
• Greenlights & BuildASign.com have partnered to bring
you Philanthropitch 2014 (April 28)!
• an opportunity to pitch for a piece of $100,000 in cash prizes
• a gateway to the new Greenlights Innovation+ Accelerator program
• Designed to fuel growth through an infusion of financial
and human capital
What is the Accelerator?
• A four-month blend of coaching, peer learning &
networking, and consulting
• Connects business and nonprofit experts with your
leadership team to develop a business growth plan
• Coaching on how to use the “investor-ready plan” to
solicit capital – both from Accelerator partners and the
broader philanthropic community.
Who is eligible?
• Are you a Central Texas-based 501(c)3 nonprofit?
• Do you seek to dramatically grow or replicate a program or
service of your organization?
• Do you have a track record of program success and clearly
established demand for the program?
• Have you completed an organization-wide strategic plan
aligned with this plan to scale (w/in past three years)?
• Is your organization financially stable?
• Will you be able to participate fully in Accelerator activities?
• 70-80 total hours of work by the nonprofit's senior leadership team
during the months of May-August
• Commitment from senior leadership to participate
• Focused on solving big community problems in areas of
• A vision for growing/replicating a program/service
• Innovative solutions and/or business models
• Leadership and financial stability and strength
• Need for (and ability to effectively deploy) human and financial
• Evidence of current program/services success
• A home base and a set of existing programs/services in Central
• Ability to participate in 4/16 Pitch Workshop and 4/28
Pitch Practice & Philanthropitch
• Semi-finalists selected to attend Pitch Workshop
• Event: April 16, 11:30am-1:30pm
• Hosted and Sponsored by Capital Factory
• Trainer: Joshua Baer, Executive Director of Capital Factory
• Practice 2-3 minute pitch and receive feedback
• Finalists selected to pitch at Philanthropitch
• Finalists notified by April 18
• Event: April 28, 5:30-8:30pm at ZACH Theatre
• Pitch for a piece of $100,000 in cash prizes and a chance to
participate in Accelerator program
• Program Growth Plan consulting project
• Greenlights professional staff time
• Interim and final deliverable(s)
• Cash grant
• Unrestricted, at program completion (graduation) - $3,000
• “Scholarship” in appreciation and recognition of time commitment
• Automatically qualified for Investee residency application
• Innovation+ human capital investment (MOU)
• Additional financial capital to fund growth plan
• Additional services & products
• Greenlights membership/discounts
• Attendance to SVP Annual conference in Austin, October
• More, in development
April May June July August Sept
Plan design &
#3: Going to
team debrief &
Time In-class: 8 hrs 8 hrs 8 hrs 8 hrs 3 hrs
Out of class: 15 hrs 15 hrs 15 hrs 15 hrs 10 hrs
Calendar of Activities
Main objective: Ensure each participating organization’s
program/service to be scaled is “investment ready.”
Upon completion, participants should:
• Have a detailed growth plan for the program/service to be scaled
• Be able to articulate plan in a succinct, inspiring way for potential
• Understand the fundamentals of a sustainable business model for the
organization in general, and the program in particular
• Have made personal and professional connections that will help grow
and scale their ventures
What is Success?
Program deliverables: The assets that are granted or produced
by participants during the program, including:
• Diagnostic (lite)
• Detailed program/service growth plan
• PPT (for storytelling/pitching)
• “Dehydrated” written plan
• Access to financial capital
• $3,000 (all) and Partner Fund (1-2 investees)
• Roadmap/introductions for funding
• Cohort of peers
• Mentor/subject matter expert network
What is Success?
March 31: Application Deadline
April 16: Pitch Workshop (semi-finalists)
May 6: Accelerator Program Kickoff (participants)
September 8: Accelerator Graduation & Investee Selection Event
Save These Dates