SCI FI THRILLER:
• Science fiction thrillers often include a story of imaginary, for
instance The Matrix: is a theory of machines and computers
taking over the world and the human population.
• Science fiction is usually based around future predictions…
The matrix shows this through futuristic science and
• The settings in science fiction are often to be based around
reality. The matrix shows a realistic setting, showing normal
day life which tricks the audience in thinking that they are
living in a game.
• Characters are supernatural, for instance Agent Smith, the
villain who is powerful and mischievous computer agent that
seeks and destroys anomalies in The Matrix.
• The film usually shows a clear protagonist, which is Neo in The
Matrix and a clear antagonist, which is Agent Smith.
• Science fiction commonly shows futuristic technology… For
example in The Matrix, teleportation machines, laser guns
and more. Paranormal activities such as mind control and
• The suspense created by Sci Fi thrillers often comes from the
two main characters, playing deceptive games with the other.
The end scene of The Matrix creates suspense when its hard
to see which character defeat the other.
CRIME AND ACTION THRILLER:
• Crime and action thriller revolve around crime, detection,
criminals etc. They produce suspense, excitement and tension
to the viewer. For example in the film Eagle Eye, Jerry and
Rachael are two strangers thrown together by a mysterious
phone call from a woman they have never met. They are told
to commit certain crimes others their friends and family will
be at risk
• Crime and action thriller usually feature against the clock, in
this case for Eagle Eye everything has to be done urgently
otherwise consequences will be made.
• Violence and an obvious antagonist being the FBI and the
continuous threating phone call from the woman.
• Crime and action films almost always contains guns,
explosions, death and jeopardy. All of these are used
throughout the film on Eagle Eye.
• Non diegetic sounds are used and parallel sounds. For
example in Eagle Eye during action scenes fast pace music is
used to add to the suspense.
• There is more or less always a protagonist… In Eagle Eye this
being Jerry… Do the audience see him as the hero?
• Motives are used all through Eagle Eye and many other crime
and action thrillers… Money, family and friends are all what
keeps Jerry and Rachael do what they do, whether its against
the law or not
• Suspense is happening throughout the film Eagle Eye, and
that’s why its in the genre of crime and action thriller.
How are the conventions different and
Crime and action aren’t key objectives for
a sci fi film… Suspense is made through
Both have clear protagonists and
Crime and action have a possibility of
happening in real life… Whereas, Sci fi
films are simply fiction.
Both fight through violence… Including
guns, explosives etc.
Sci fi movies usually are set in future
settings, or have some sort of time twist
in them. Crime and action happen in
Both films have a aim or motives within