It’s human nature to want to make a difference and leave the world a better place after we’re gone. LEAVE A LEGACY™ helps us all to consider how we might do that….. Choosing to leave a gift from the heart brings meaning, dignity and purpose to a life well lived. Your gift is your opportunity to participate in the charitable and community work most meaningful to you, in a way that allows these important causes to be well supported now and long after you are gone. Any individual can plan a legacy gift to their favourite cause, regardless of current assets or income.
LEAVE A LEGACY™ is not a charity nor does it represent any one charity. In fact, the magic of this program is that it is ‘charity neutral’ and simply encourages individuals to consider a gift to their favourite cause when making their estate plans. Imagine if we all left just 10% of our estate to whatever organization is most important to us? We could positively impact our community beyond measure.
As a society we are wealthy beyond measure and those of us with children can give them the greatest gift of all – the gift of philanthropy. In fact some may suggest that we have a responsibility to model the behaviour that we want our children to follow. If there is a cause that is important to you, speak to your advisors about how you can also include that cause or organization in your plans. Given the tax treatment of estate gifts, you might be surprised at what you can do and still provide for your family.
One of the greatest challenges that charities face is the replacement of loyal and generous donors after they pass away. If individuals who give $500 a year left an endowment of $10,000 at 5% rate of return could perpetuate their annual gift and have the comfort of knowing the organization they supported during their lifetime will continue to receive their support long after they’re gone.
LEAVE A LEGACY™ allows charities and advisors to set aside their own agenda and join in collaboration for the greater good. When it comes to estate gifts, the competition is not among charities, it is lack of awareness of what is possible. Advisors can add value to their clients’ experience by exploring their values and making suggestions on how they can support whatever is important to them. There is a move afoot to encourage clients to consider donating 1% of their capital gains during their lifetime – not even touching the capital – and then considering what they might do beyond.
Many people would like to give but feel they don’t have the means. Canadian are used to giving from their ‘right hand pocket’ or from their income. The government has changed its social policies to allow individuals to direct their charitable giving from their ‘left hand pocket’ and use their assets to make gifts. By far, the largest gifts people can make, regardless of the size of their estate is through a bequest in their will. Still, 95 percent of all deferred gifts to charity are through bequests. Surprisingly, a gift can also be a very practical addition to a financial or estate plan when tax issues are taken into consideration – even for those who thing they may not have tax issues.
LEAVE A LEGACY™ is a national and international program. In Southeastern Ontario we span a geographic area of about 500 square kilometers and many organizations provide services to the region. We are hoping to partner with as many charities and professional advisors as possible to spread the word to encourage legacy giving.
Talk to your family, talk to your advisors, talk to your friends. Consider the gift you would like to leave to make a difference. If you have children, consider including your favourite cause as ‘one of your family’ and provide a share you are comfortable with. If you are a professional advisor consider how you might work with your clients and partner with other organizations to promote LEAVE A LEGACY™. Become a partner with people of like mind and heart.
Close with this powerful image and statement. Imagine the difference we could make together. What might your number be? What might your favourite cause be? How will you make a difference?
1. LEAVE A LEGACY™ Southeastern Ontario Make a Difference in the Lives that Follow Visit us at www.leavealegacyseo.ca
2. LEAVE A LEGACY™ <ul><li>A national community based effort that encourages people from all walks of life to make an estate gift to the not-for-profit of their choice. LEAVE A LEGACY™ is not a charity. </li></ul><ul><li>Simply put, the message is: “Leave something to charity in your will or estate plan”. </li></ul>
3. More about LEAVE A LEGACY™ <ul><li>LEAVE A LEGACY™ is a national Public Awareness program of the Canadian Association for Gift Planning (CAGP-ACPDP ™) that encourages collaboration among not for profits, charities and professional advisors inviting Canadians to: </li></ul><ul><li>Make or update their will </li></ul><ul><li>Leave a gift in their will, life insurance or other estate plans to charitable organizations of their choice </li></ul><ul><li>Provides partnership among charities large and small and advisors of all specialties who are interested in helping people with their charitable planning </li></ul>
4. Why LEAVE A LEGACY™ <ul><li>80% of Canadians give to charity during their lifetime </li></ul><ul><li>7% of Canadians leave a gift to charity in their estate plans </li></ul><ul><li>43% say they would leave a gift in their estate plan if asked – we’re asking you now to consider your legacy gift – to benefit a cause that is important to you </li></ul>
5. Objectives of LEAVE A LEGACY™ <ul><li>To encourage the citizens of Southeastern Ontario to make estate gifts to the charities of their choice </li></ul><ul><li>Help individuals realize that anyone can plan an estate gift regardless of its size </li></ul><ul><li>To raise awareness among professional advisors of the benefits to clients and their communities </li></ul><ul><li>To help charities seek, administer and steward bequests and other estate gifts </li></ul>
6. Ways to Give <ul><li>Cash </li></ul><ul><li>Publicly Listed Securities </li></ul><ul><li>Life Insurance </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Charity as beneficiary </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Charity as owner and beneficiary </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Bequest of RRSP/RIF Accumulations </li></ul><ul><li>Charitable Gift Annuity </li></ul><ul><li>Bequest by Will </li></ul><ul><li>Other Gifts (Real Estate, Remainder Trust) </li></ul>
7. A Regional Initiative – Southeastern Ontario <ul><li>Trenton, Belleville, Cobourg, Picton, Napanee, Kingston, Perth and Smiths Falls, Brockville and all points in between…together we can make a difference! </li></ul>
8. How Do I Get Involved? <ul><li>Check out www.leavealegacyseo.ca ; consider your own legacy gift </li></ul><ul><li>Members of CAGP-ACPDP™ automatically have privileges to use and purchase material at discounted prices. </li></ul><ul><li>Become a Partner/Sponsor – annual partnership/sponsorship is being encouraged. </li></ul>
9. Remember when you dreamed about being a hero and saving the world? When you were small no problem was too big, heroes were faster than locomotives and planetary salvation was just a bound away. You’re all grown up now and reality has set in. Still, deep down inside, you have the instinctive need to use your powers for world good. Visit us at www.leavealegacyseo.ca