1. The ABC’s of
Lessons from 3 years and 3,000 customers
VP Marketing, HubSpot
2. Before We Start
Share whatever, wherever!
3. Prior Art Worth Reading
Product / Market Fit (Sean Ellis)
Startup Marketing Metrics (Dave McClure)
(If Sean or Dave are reading this, I’d love to grab coffee/beer sometime.)
4. Who is HubSpot?
160+ Employees in Cambridge, MA (MIT)
$33m in VC (3 rounds)
Saas for Marketing at $3K-15K/year
5. Complicated & Easy &
6. HubSpot Traffic > Comparables
Q1 2007 Q2 2010
9. Don’t make me do marketing!
Just up our AdWords limit...
10. Renting / Outbound Building / Inbound
Conferences / Events SEO
Paid Search / PPC Free Tools
Email List Rentals Social Media
Cold Calling Opt-In Email Lists
(prior to product
12. Not doing it like him?
You’re doing it wrong.
14. Target Content to Your Personas
15. Publish Everything
16. Our blog is the #1 resource
mentioned by our prospects
to our salespeople.
17. Our blog is one of our top 3
sources of leads and sales.
19. 2.4 million websites graded
(Plus emails, web traffic, PR, social buzz…)
20. Drive with
21. Data is your friend. You can trust data.
22. Measure each stage of your
sales and marketing process.
23. …By Channel or Source to diagnose.
Drill into each source
Visitors Leads Sales
24. Set targets for all key metrics.
25. Measure progress to targets daily.
26. Measure often. Evolve faster.
27. Employ the
28. 80% of team had under 12 months
experience in “marketing” when hired.
30. D A R C : Digital
31. D A R C : Analytical
32. D A R C : Reach
33. D A R C : Content
34. Empower Employees by Sharing Info
35. All Your Employees Are Marketers
36. Questions to ask yourself...
37. Am I regularly creating new
38. Am I promoting my content
in social media conversations?
39. Am I optimizing my content
for search and social media?
40. Am I converting as
many visitors into
leads and sales as I can?
41. Stop thinking like a
marketer or advertiser.
42. Start thinking like a
publisher and socializer.
43. Suggested Next Steps:
1) Download these slides:
Mike Volpe www.MikeVolpe.com/ABCs
VP Marketing @HubSpot
Twitter: @mvolpe 2) Read “Inbound Marketing “Book
3) Grade your website:
4) Additional Free Resources: