Set goals. Take a look at your holiday fundraising volume from last year. How much did you raise? How much do you need to raise this year? How much would you like to raise this year? How much do you think you can raise online? In checks? Via text-to-give? Give yourself a specific monetary and donor goal. You may even consider sharing your goals with your donors in your messaging.2) Mobilize through a campaign. You won’t be the only organization fundraising this holiday season. You will be competing with other organizations for donations from your donors. Use a campaign to galvanize support. Looking for ideas? GlobalGiving has great holiday promotions going on this year. Read more here.3) Create a communications calendar. Determine how you are going to communicate with your donors—email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.—and when. Think strategically about important dates in November and December.Remember that you want to be present in your donors’ minds as they’re making giving decisions throughout the holiday season but without being annoying!
• Holiday Stats
• Year-end fundraising strategy
• GlobalGiving Promotions
– Gifts for Good
– Year-end Campaign
– Recurring Donation Campaign
– Thank You Promotion
2. 2 popular American holidays
+ Year-end tax deductions
Golden fundraising opportunity
3. What’s all the excitement about?
• More than 30% of online fundraising happens
• Here at GlobalGiving, we helped hundreds of
organizations raise more than $5.1 million in
November and December of 2012! That’s a
13% increase from the previous year.
4. What should you do to get ready?
1. Set Goals
2. Mobilize through a campaign
3. Create a communications
5. Important Dates
• November 28: Thanksgiving Day
• November 29: Black Friday, the largest in-store retail shopping day of the
• December 2: Cyber Monday, the largest online shopping day of the year
• December 3: Giving Tuesday, a daylong effort in the U.S to help charities
raise funds online during the holiday shopping season
• December 18-24: The week before Christmas, retailers saw a surge in
• December 29, 30, and 31: The biggest fundraising days of the year!
6. What is GlobalGiving doing to help?
Gifts for Good
Recurring Donation Campaign
Thank You Promotion
7. Gifts for Good
• Give away a “gift”—jewelry, scarves, and more—in
exchange for donations of a certain amount ($25,
• Organization provides “gift” and manages shipping
• GlobalGiving will provide you with the mailing
addresses of participating donors through Project
• Only organizations based in the U.S or with
volunteers in the U.S, who are able to commit to
ship items domestically, are eligible to participate.
8. Gifts for Good
9. Gifts for Good
• GlobalGiving provides Gifts for Good promotion via
donor newsletter and social media
– 125,000 newsletter subscribers
– 69,000 Twitter followers
– 45,000 Facebook fans
• Attract new, higher value donors
• Submit requests by November 8th
10. Tips for Good
• Consider the cost of this promotion for your organization
when determining donation amount
• Give gifts that are unique, interesting, and relevant
• Include the “story” behind your gift in your description
• Let donors know exactly how the donation of $X will help
the community you serve
• Ship items quickly – keep Christmas and Hanukkah in
• Include a personalized note or card in your package
11. Year-End Campaign-First Ever!
• We’re offering NINE bonus awards to the top projects that
raise the most money from their supporters
• Begins at 12:01 am EST December 1 and ends at 11:59 pm
EST on December 31
• Projects must raise at least $3,000 from 30 donors in order
to qualify for a bonus award.
• Bonus awards will be awarded to organizations that have
met the $3,000 from 30 donors and raised the most funds
Bonus Awards for the Year-end
First place: $3,000
Second place: $2,000
Third place: $1,000
Fourth place: $1,000
Fifth place: $1,000
Sixth place: $500
Seventh place: $500
Eighth place: $500
Ninth place: $500
13. Year-End Campaign Tips
• Make a plan-How does your organization want
to reach the $3,000 threshold from 30
• Review GlobalGiving’s tools (tribute cards,
fundraiser pages, etc.)
• Review GlobalGiving’s campaigns-What works
best for your organization?
14. Recurring Donation Campaign-12 days
of Giving will be offering a one• During the last 12 days of the year, GlobalGiving
time 100% match on all new recurring donations up to $200 per donor!
• Promotion is being run by our Product Team
• This matching opportunity is a great way to motivate one-time donors to
become long-term givers, just in time for the new year!
• To qualify for the match, donors must give for three consecutive months
following the initial donation (for a total of four months).
15. Recurring Donation Campaign Tips and
• Let your donors know that they can give a gift
that keeps on giving
• Communicate the match
• Tell your organization’s story and how their
donation will help
16. Thank Your Promotion
• Submit a video or story to GlobalGiving’s Thank You Promotion for the
opportunity to be featured in GlobalGiving’s donor communications in
December and January
• Submit a GlobalGiving project report featuring a thank you video, photo,
or story. Special preference will be given to projects that submit videos.
• Once you’ve submitted your report, use this online form to send us your
project ID, the date of your report, and the link to your thank you video
(optional) by Friday, November 8th.
• GlobalGiving will select a few project reports and/or videos to be featured
on social media and in other donor communications. Selected
organizations will be notified via email.
17. Thank You Promotion Tips
• Keep your videos short- no longer than 1
• Make sure your video is shot in high resolution
• Content is relevant to your project
18. Key Take Aways
Mobilize through a campaign
Create a communications calendar
Develop your messaging
Thank your donors
Evaluate your progress and prepare to be
• Tools and training blog
• We are here to help!-One-on-one support
• Webinar- Holiday Donor Communication
– Save the Children, Tuesday, October 29 at 9 am ET
– Opportunity International, Tuesday, October 29 at
3 pm ET