What is Bonus Day?
• A chance for your organization to energize
donors and receive extra funding
Date: Wednesday, February 12th
Start time: 9:00 am EST
End Time: 11:59 pm EST
Matching Funds: $75,000
Match Percent: 30%
Full Terms and Conditions
• Matching will begin on Wednesday, February 12 at 9:00 AM EST and will
end on Wednesday, February 12 at 11:59 PM EST, or when funds run out
• There is $75,000 available in matching funds
• Matching is applied at 30% up to $1,000 per donor per project (for example,
a donation of $1,500 will receive a $300 match)
• Only donations made by unique donors per project will be matched
• Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including name,
email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address. We are
monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only
unique, distinct donors are counted
• The project that has the most unique donors on Bonus Day will receive an
additional $1,000 from GlobalGiving
Terms and Conditions, Continued
• The project that raises the most funds on Bonus Day will receive an
additional $1,000 from GlobalGiving
• Projects must be approved and live on the GlobalGiving.org website by
February 10, 2013 to be eligible
• Only online donations (credit card or PayPal) are eligible for matching.
Donations made by check or text-to-give are not eligible
• Donations made on http://www.globalgiving.co.uk or any GlobalGiving
corporate sites (including Nike, Eli Lilly, Global Action Atlas, etc) are NOT
eligible for matching
• Funds, such as the Girl Effect Fund and disaster funds are not eligible for
• We encourage you to get donations in early, because matching funds will
likely run out before the end of the day
• Please note that GlobalGiving will monitor and review all donations made
through this matching offer. GlobalGiving maintains the right to make a
final decision on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds
• Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the
time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
Tips and Tricks
• Set a goal-how much would you like to raise?
• Reach out to all your donors through e-mail
– Send an e-mail a few days before
– Send an e-mail the day of (give now!)
– Keep the language simple
• Pick up the phone and call your major supporters (ex:
• Identify advocates and have them set a goal
Communication Tips and Tricks from a
Bonus Day Rock star
• Called their major donors and board members and let them know that on
Bonus Day their gifts would be matched. RefugeeOne asked that they
consider giving on Bonus Day rather than waiting to give on a later date.
• Sent a series of emails to their donor network
– The 1st email was sent the Thursday before Bonus Day. RefugeeOne made it a
teaser, not revealing the nature of the match. For example “Keep a look out for
an opportunity to make your donation BIG!”
– The 2nd email was sent the Monday before Bonus Day using campaign language
their donors are familiar with. For example, they stuck to a tag line that their
donors had already reacted positively to, keeping language consistent. But, they
still did not reveal the GlobalGiving Bonus Day match.
– The 3rd email was sent the Tuesday before Bonus Day. This was the last of the
series of teasers. For example, “Tomorrow get ready to make your donation
count. Check your inbox tomorrow to see how you can make your donation
– The 4th email was sent the day of Bonus Day revealing the GlobalGiving Bonus
Day match and it included a direct link to their project page. One main reason
behind the day of reveal was to avoid donors giving too early.
• Tribute Cards
– It’s almost Valentine’s Day!
– Share a direct link to the “gift or in-honor-of” tab on your
project page. Donors give when it’s easy. Include the direct link
in all of your emails, project reports, and social media messages.
Here’s how you create the direct link to the “gift”
option: Project URL+?show=gift
– Here’s an example: http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/fundraising/?show=gift
• Project Reports
– Add a call to action to your project report
– Write your project report ahead of time, and schedule it to go
out on Bonus Day
Support-We are here for you!
• One-on-one support
• tools and training blog
• World event clock