Using Web 2.0 Tools to Enhance
Professor Gina M. Bowers-Miller
Harrisburg Area Community College
League for Innovation in the Community College
October 31 - November 3, 2010
Changing Learning Environment
Are we paying attention to how our classrooms are changing? See video …
http://t4.jordan.k12.ut.us/t4/content/view/221/35/ created by Darren Draper
Our Digital Learners…..
• Over 10,000 hours playing video games… Interactive Videogames, Mediascope, June 1996.
• Over 10,000 hours talking on cell phones… Prensky, M. (2001). Digital Natives Digital Immigrants.
• And roughly 20,000 hours watching TV. Prensky, M. (2001). Digital Natives Digital Immigrants.
• 70% of our nation's 4-6 year olds have used a computer. Kaiser Family Foundation, 2003.
• In any given day, 68% of children under two will use a screen media, for an average of
– just over two hours (2:05). Kaiser Family Foundation, 2003.
• “It's not attention deficit - I'm just not listening!” Slogan on a current T-shirt
• Student learning environments have changed
• Students need to be active/involved in learning
• Short attention span
• Video game generation
• Cell phone focused!
• Are we reaching them?
Student View of Learning Environment
Blackboards to Blackberries: Mobile Learning Buzzes Across Schools an Universities
Slide Shows and Movies
• Alternative to PowerPoint
• Mobile friendly
• Can create a file that can be uploaded to many websites
• Fun & interactive way for students or groups to share information, assignments, or presentations
1. www.slideshare.com - Created PowerPoint presentation, converted files & uploaded to Facebook as stand alone
slideshow. Can be used to share presentations, documents and professional videos.
2. www.prezi.com- Presentation software offers 100 MB free storage. Save, upload to web, share etc
3. www.vimeo.com- Video sharing site
4. www.animoto.com- Create & share videos via email, Facebook, YouTube, free iPhone app or burn to DVD.
1. www.capzles.com (Digital Slide Shows)
2. www.everyscape.com(View Inside Buildings-Take Virtual Tours)
3. www.fotoflexer.com (Online Photo Editing)
4. www.LuLu.com (Publish a book)
5. www.picnik.com (Online Photo Editing)
6. www.photosynth.com (Combines photos from many sources)
Baby Maker 3000
* Form of expression- match the student with the Avatar! * Can be used as your image in online class
* Paste in signature lines of email * Used on various mobile devices
* Add to your syllabi
* Fun- students enjoy seeing avatars that look like them- used in many applications
* Voki can be used to create talking avatars
Mobile Surveys In Class
•Shy students- helps them open up and participate
•Ice breaker or warm-up for the class
•Adds variety to your class
•More fun than raising your hand or shouting out an
answer in class
•Increase student attention and involvement
•Real-time…students more likely to pay attention looking
for results from others
•Can be anonymous (depending upon software being used)
•Text to & from phone or computer (some apps)
•Can upload to Facebook or other website (some apps)
•Instant feedback! Immediate Gratification!
Mobile Question & Answer Sites
• Burning desire to know something
• Playing a trivia game where mobile help is
• Impress your friends
• Need legitimate help with a question
• Want to know what movie is playing
• Need directions
• Need zip code, phone number or area code
• In - class project
• Google SMS
– text message your search query to 466453
('GOOGLE' on most devices)
• Ask anything!
• Student employees
Wiki Sites & Blogs
* Wikis-relatively easy website and team collaboration space
* Online expression and information sharing & collaboration
* Increase student attention and involvement by participating and contributing to a topic (s)
* Can upload to Facebook or other website (some apps)
Mobile Productivity Suites
• Online collaboration
• Documents on the go
• No need to purchase software
• An alternative to popular Office Suites
• Increase student attention and involvement
• Can upload to Facebook or other website (some apps)
• Collaborative suite of apps, social media and fun tools
1. Blackboards to Blackberries: Mobile Learning Buzzes Across Schools an...
2. Cell Phones for Learning http://teachdigital.pbworks.com/cellphones
3. Free Technology for Teachers http://freetech4teachers.blogspot.com/A blog featuring reviews and integration ideas for free
technology. The blog also offers an extensive list of free technology resources.
4. Geary, Mark (2008) Supporting Cell Phone Use in the Classroom. http://www.homepages.dsu.edu/mgeary/vita/cellphones.pdf
5. Going Digital in the Classroom http://www.forsythcountyschools.org/its/sbeck/digital/goingdigital.htm A number of ideas for
using digital pictures in the classroom. This webpage also includes links for additional ideas.
6. Google SMS Mobile Retrieved October 5 from http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sms.html#p=default
7. McNeal, T. & van't Hooft, M. (2006) Anywhere, Anytime: Using Mobile Phones for Learning. Journal of the Research Center for
Educational Technology Vol.2, Number 2. Retrieved Aug. 10,2008 from http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/91
8. MyWorkshops MyWorkshops simplifies staff development. Workshop participants register online for courses you are offering.
Simply enter basic information about the course, specify the maximum number of participants, and let MyWorkshops handle the
chore of registering users and keeping track of the participants. http://www.myworkshops.com/
9. New Tools “Cell Phones as Classroom Learning Tools” http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=152
10. Paying Attention Video- http://t4.jordan.k12.ut.us/t4/content/view/221/35/
11. PBS Teachers Connect http://www.pbs.org/teachers/connect/ PBS Teachers Connect is an online community of educators
exchanging information on digital media and technology. Membership also includes a number of benefits from PBS.
12. School 2.0 http://etoolkit.org/etoolkit/ School 2.0 is an eToolkit for schools and school districts wanting to develop a long-term
education plan that includes technology. The offers resources and tools to inspire discussion in school communities.
13. Teaching & Technology http://teachingtechnology.suite101.com/ This website is an online clearinghouse for articles on teaching
and technology written by freelance writers.
14. Technology Integration http://t4.jordan.k12.ut.us/t4/content/section/8/37/ Many great resources, training etc!
15. Web Applications Index http://www.go2web20.net/