League for Innovation in the Community College
October 31 - November 3, 2010
Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resorts
Presentation Title: Using Web 2.0 Tools to Enhance Your Courses
Using free Web 2.0 applications, participants create tools for classes and other uses. Examples of applications presented include slide shows and
movies, icon and avatar creation, mobile application surveys, question and answer sites, wikis, website templates, and more.
Presentation Date: 11/02/2010
Presentation Start Time: 8:00 AM
Presentation Location: Southern Hemisphere I-V, Fifth Level
Professor Gina M. Bowers-Miller
Harrisburg Area Community College
One HACC Drive
122G John Hall Technology Center
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 1
Using WEB 2.0 Tools to Enhance Your Courses
Are we paying attention to how our classrooms are changing? See video below…
• Student learning environments have changed
• Students need to be active/involved in learning
• Short attention span
• Video game generation
• Cell phone focused!
Current student view of their learning environment:
Blackboards to Blackberries: Mobile Learning Buzzes Across Schools an... http://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/articles/508/blackboards-to-
Slide Shows and Movies
• Alternative to PowerPoint
• Mobile friendly
• Can create a file that can be uploaded to many websites
• Fun & interactive way from students or groups to share information, assignments, or presentations
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 2
1. www.Slideshare.com - Created PowerPoint presentation, got the code from SS and uploaded to Facebook
as stand alone slideshow. Can be used to share presentations, documents and professional videos.
2. www.Prezi.com- Presentation software offers 100 Mg free storage. Save, upload to web, share etc
3. www.vimeo.com- Video sharing site
4. www.animoto.com- Create & share videos via email, Facebook, YouTube, free iPhone app or burn to DVD.
www.Capzles.com (Digital Slide Shows)
www.Everyscape.com (Peek Inside Buildings)
www.Fotoflexer.com (Browser Based- Delete Photo Express)
www.LuLu.com (Publish a book)
www.Picnik.com (Photo Editing)
www.Photosynth.com (combines photos from many people)
• Form of expression- match the student with the Avatar!
• Fun- students enjoy seeing avatars that look like them- used in many applications
• Can be used as image in online class
• In signature lines of email
• On various mobile devices
• Add to your syllabi
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 3
• Right click and save and attach to signature lines in email etc…
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 4
Voki is a free service that allows you to create personalized speaking avatars and use them on your blog, profile, and
in email messages.
Mobile Surveys In Class
• Shy students- helps them open up and participate
• Ice breaker or warm-up for the class
• Adds variety to your class
• More fun than raising your hand or shouting out an answer in class
• Increase student attention and involvement
• Real-time…students more likely top pay attention looking for results from others
• Can be anonymous (depending upon the software being used)
• Instant feedback! Immediate Gratification!
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 5
• Simple text message voting application that works well for live audiences
• People vote by sending text messages (or using Twitter) to options displayed on-screen.
• The poll that is embedded within the presentation or web page will update in real time.
• Can control privacy settings
• Our basic plan is free. It allows an unlimited number of polls, and up to 30 votes per poll.
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 6
• The poll can receive votes offline, but need Internet connection to show live results
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 7
To use as a slide show- click button to add as slide, then click the Presentation button in PowerPoint- it goes to a full
screen mode and your results will appear as they come in …LIVE!
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 8
Screen showing number of responses…
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 9
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 10
Embed it into your website…
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 11
2. http://www.joopz.com/how-it-works Joopz -text to phone or computer. Can upload to Facebook or other
Mobile Question & Answer Sites
• Burning desire to know something
• Playing a trivia game where mobile help is allowed
• Impress your friends
• Need legitimate help with a question
• Want to know what movie is playing
• Need directions
• Need zip code, phone number or area code
• In - class project
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 12
1. http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sms.html#p=default Google SMS
text message your search query to 466453 ('GOOGLE' on most devices)
2. www.chacha.com – ask anything. Answered by real people in seconds. Student employees.
Mobile Productivity Suites
2. www.docs. google.com
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 13
References & Interesting Links:
Blackboards to Blackberries: Mobile Learning Buzzes Across Schools an...
Cell Phones for Learning
Free Technology for Teachers http://freetech4teachers.blogspot.com/
A blog featuring reviews and integration ideas for free technology. The blog also offers an extensive list of free
Geary, Mark (2008) Supporting Cell Phone Use in the Classroom.
Going Digital in the Classroom
A number of ideas for using digital pictures in the classroom. This webpage also includes links for additional
Google SMS Mobile Retrieved October 5 from http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sms.html#p=default
McNeal, T. & van't Hooft, M. (2006) Anywhere, Anytime: Using Mobile Phones for Learning. Journal of the
Research Center for Educational Technology Vol.2, Number 2. Retrieved Aug. 10,2008 from
MyWorkshops simplifies staff development. Workshop participants register online for courses you are offering. Simply
enter basic information about the course, specify the maximum number of participants, and let MyWorkshops
handle the chore of registering users and keeping track of the participants.
Paying Attention Video-
PBS Teachers Connect
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 14
PBS Teachers Connect is an online community of educators exchanging information on digital media and technology.
Membership also includes a number of benefits from PBS.
School 2.0 is an eToolkit for schools and school districts wanting to develop a long-term education plan that includes
technology. The offers resources and tools to inspire discussion in school communities.
Teaching & Technology
This website is an online clearinghouse for articles on teaching and technology written by freelance writers.
Many great resources, training etc!
Gina M. Bowers-Miller 10/10 WEB 2.0 Tools Page 15