1. ‘ It is a pity that the notion of ‘creativity’ in education has to be fought for... Thinking up fresh ideas is what teachers are paid for.’ Ted Wragg
2. GOOGLE EARTH: YOUR TOUR GUIDE TO THE WORLD A presentation for Norfolk teachers… Alan Parkinson King Edward VII School, King’s Lynn GA Teacher Consultant Remember that you’re missing all the
3. AIMS <ul><li>To illustrate some ideas for using Google Earth in the classroom </li></ul><ul><li>To suggest some other ways of representing the world </li></ul><ul><li>To send you away full of enthusiasm to try some of these ideas yourself </li></ul><ul><li>CD contents will be shown by image… </li></ul>
4. Google Earth is popular ! Use its popularity to your advantage ! This shows one day’s visits to the GE page
5. Forms part of the Creative cycle, produced by Chris Durbin & Keith Grimwade (as mentioned in session at STIMULUS RESPONSE ACTIVITY AUDIENCE DEBRIEF
6. ‘ Imaginative activity fashioned so as to produce outcomes that are both original and of value.’ All Our Futures, 1999
7. Getting Google Earth <ul><li>Free download - on CD </li></ul><ul><li>GOOGLE EARTH GURU Noel Jenkins </li></ul><ul><li>Examples of work on Montserrat and San Francisco illustrated for the delegates… </li></ul>
8. Richard Allaway http://www.geographyalltheway.com/year8/energy/wind_farm_debate_enter.htm
10. http://www.theleonardo.org/salgado/exhibit/google_earth.php Get the quick time movie !
11. Windows Live Local <ul><li>Microsoft’s answer to Google Earth, when used in association with NASA Worldwind. </li></ul><ul><li>For full details on the technique, see Noel Jenkins’ Juicy Geography site. </li></ul><ul><li>Will also be helpful for those schools where Google Earth is not allowed to be used (?!) </li></ul><ul><li>http://local.live.com </li></ul>
12. Showed how this relates to GE Showed link with WorldWind…
13. http://www.tagzania.com Details given on how to use this
14. http://www.sketchup.com / Program file, and the Google Earth plug in are on the CD 3D Warehouse http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse
15. Collaboration Idea Choose a topic. Students locate places which are relevant to a particular topic or location. Suggestion is that they should start tztag and then the word you are researching. Can then see the places, and any other tags are also shown.
16. http://flood.firetree.net/ Showed how you can alter the extent of flooding by moving the slider – see whether your house will be flooded….