These are the slides from a presentation given on 10/5/14 for ELTAU, looking at persuasive language and techniques which can be used across a number of industries, including language training and communication services.
The power of persuasion:
Let’s hear from you:
1. Are you good at persuading other people to do something?
2. When was the last time someone persuaded you to do
3. What kind of jobs require people to have good persuasive
1. Have a clear standpoint
2. Clarify your rationale just before you conclude.
3. Present a logical sequence of reasons
4. Provide supporting arguments and evidence
5. Use insults to make your partner’s argument weaker.
6. Give many different examples of why your opinion is
7. Contrast other parties’ opinions with your own.
8. Always agree with other people’s opinions.
Expressing your opinion
Providing supporting arguments
Acknowledging other views
What do youthink?
‘The VHS should provide us with free cake every time
we have an ELTAU workshop.’
What are the mostpersuasivewordsin
Influence:The Psychologyof Persuasion
1. Enclosing a free pen with a mailing
2. Using a customer’s first name when calling or
writing to them
3. Offering a free online course, newsletter or
advice to people browsing your site
4. Providing testimonials from satisfied customers
5. Hanging certificates on your office wall
6. Offering products for a limited time only
Languageinput – persuasiveexpressions
“Don’t miss this chance to…”
“If you … I’ll …”
“As a valued customer we …”
So do I, neither do I, I do too etc
“With over … years’ experience we…”
• Social proof
“Over 90% of our customers choose …”
You are a sales representative. Your company sells
a specific product, but sales are low at the
moment. Persuade a customer to buy your
How can weuse these techniquesto our own
• Develop rapport with learners
• Offer trial lessons
• Agree ground rules
• Create Facebook page with lots of ‘likes‘
• Put relevant qualifications on business card
• Develop niche training skills
Blog post Slides
and lesson plan