1. Mount Pleasant United Methodist ChurchChurch MembershipTraining andOrientationSession 1: Why is it important to be a church member?
2. WelcomeOn behalf of the pastor and members of Mount PleasantUnited Methodist church, we would like to welcome you tothe church family.The purpose of this orientation is to help you becomecomfortable with understanding the United MethodistChurch and better navigate among the differentcomponents of the church.
3. History of Mount PleasantIn 1880, a group of Christian pioneers, inspired by God, laid the foundation of the church in theTurkey Creek Community. It was first organized as Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church. OnSeptember 12, 1889, Mrs. Malinda Benton deeded land north of Rippy Road for the constructionof the first brush arbor church. The brush arbor was later converted into a framed building.The church outgrew its early location, and in 1937 Mrs. Artemise Tuggle provided theleadership necessary to move the church from its restricted location to its presentlocation. Under the pastorate of Rev. R. J. Jimmerson in 1946, the current building was erected tothe glory of God and to the service of men, women, and children of the community.The Methodist Episcopal Church joined the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1966. Thisbecame effective in 1968, and Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal became Mt. Pleasant UnitedMethodist Church. Mt. Pleasant continues to flourish in the community of Turkey Creek and onMarch 21, 2007, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, listed the Turkey CreekCommunity, Rippy Road, as a Historic District. A dedication celebration was held on May 8, 2007,to commemorate this recognition.Over the years, many outstanding pastors and laity have prepared and led the congregation ofMt. Pleasant. We are indeed blessed to have this tradition continue under the current leadershipof Rev. Lindsey Robinson.
4. Mission StatementOur mission is to seek the lost, maintain strongcommunity ties, prepare believers to knowChrist, and become faithful witnesses for Him.Motto: We care for the lost and prepare thebeliever to share Christ’s love
5. Educational SessionsSession 1: Why is it important to be a church member?Session 2: What is the purpose of the church?Session 3: What do we believe as United Methodist?Session 4: History of the Methodist church, UnitedMethodist organizational structure, and localchurch structure
6. Why is it important to be achurch member?
7. What does churchmembership mean toyou?
8. Meaning of MembershipThe difference between being an attendeeand being a member can be summed up inone word
9. Benefits of MembershipA place where you can identify with other believers.(Ephesians 2:19; Romans 12:5)A place where you gain a spiritual family for support andencouragement for your Christian walk.(Galatians 6:1-2; Hebrews 10:24-25)A place to discover, cultivate and use your gifts in ministry.(1 Corinthians 12:4-27)A place where spiritual/Godly leaders provide guidance and nurtureyou.(Hebrews 13:17; Acts 20:28-29)1 Timothy 3:15 refers to the church as the family of God. God does not wantus growing up in isolation.
10. Membership RequirementsDesire and honestly seek a personal relationship with Christ.Baptism in the Christian faith, if you have not already been baptized.Completion of Membership OrientationMake a commitment to faithfully keep our congregation membershipvows/expectations.The person, as candidate for membership, must have attended ourcongregation for 2 months.The person, as candidate for membership, must become part of a smallgroup during those 2 months.Sign a membership/leadership covenant.
11. Congratulations!Once you complete your New Membershiporientation, sign a commitment card andmembership covenant, publically profess themembership vows to the congregation, receivedthe hand of fellowship from the congregation, youare officially a member.
12. Membership ExpectationsDevelop a personal relationship with Christ.(Matthew 4:19; Luke 9:23; John 10:4; Matthew 9:9; John 2:11)Regular worship attendance (Romans 12:1-2; John 4:24; Hebrews 10:1)Active participation in at least one growth group apart from worshipattendance. (2 Timothy 2:15; Hebrews 5:11-6:3)Giving financially with tithing as your goal.(2 Corinthians 9:6-15: Leviticus 27:30)Regular prayer and devotional time with God.(1 Thessalonians 5:17; Proverbs 15:8; Psalm 6:91; Titus 2:8)Participate in an outreach ministry through the church (Matthew 25:44-45)Serving in a ministry with your gifts and talents.(Ephesians 4:11-13; 1 Peter 4:10)
13. Getting InvolvedNow that you are a member, your ministry guide orPastor will assist with your personal and spiritualgrowth plan. Once you discover your spiritual giftsand the area of ministry you have a passion toserve, you will begin a period of job training.
14. Supporting Mission and MinistryChristian stewardship is the practice of systemic an proportionate giving oftime, talent, and material possessions based on the conviction that thesethings are a trust (on loan to us) from God to be used in the service and benefitof mankind, in grateful acknowledgement of Christ’s redeeming love.~United Stewardship Council 1945 Tithing: At Mount Pleasant, we practice tithing for the support of Christ’sbody, the church, as God commands. We recognize that giving 10% of ourincome is the Biblical minimum standard of giving.Therefore, we give financially based upon the biblical standard of tithing.A tithe of everything you produce belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.~Leviticus 27:30
15. Service OpportunitiesSunday SchoolWorshipUnited Methodist MenUnited Methodist WomenUnited Methodist YouthUshering MinistryPrayer MinistryBible StudyLay ServantMembers are encouraged to explore area/s which they want torender service to God through one of the church’s ministries.
16. Reflections1. List three benefits of church membership.2. List three requirements for becoming a member.3. List three membership expectations.4. What service opportunities interest you?5. Where are you in your faith journey?
17. Online ResourcesMount Pleasant’s websitehttp://www.mtpleasantumc-gulfport.org/General Board of Discipleshiphttp://www.gbod.org/UMC Givinghttp://www.umcgiving.org/site/c.qwL6KkNWLrH/b.7492427/k.BE8A/Home.htmClick on link to view website