Tori Pierce | Alex Maeland | Casey Williamon | Taylor Middleton | Michael Fadler | Zach Briody
Brand Overview: Creating a Connection
Brick & Mortar Brand loyalty firmly established
A relational environment that cultivates memorable experiences for customers while they are in and around the Starbucks brand
Established in 1971
Howard Schultz joins in 1982
“ Our Customers: When we are fully engaged, we connect with, laugh with, and uplift the lives of our customers – even if just for a few moments. Sure, it starts with the promise of a perfectly made beverage, but our work goes far beyond that. It’s really about human connection.”
Brand Overview: Building the Digital Environment
Starbucks wanted to extend the experience to their customer through Online channels and Social Media channels, a natural next step in their relational and communal evolution as a brand.
Group Project Overview: The Social Media Audit
The overall outline of the project:
To evaluate each individual Social Media Channel that Starbuck’s currently employed
What channels does Starbuck’s utilize?
What unique ways does each individual channel allow Starbuck’s to engage its audience?
To evaluate and understand Starbucks’ global/overall goals for its involvement in Social Media by asking the following questions :
What are they aiming to accomplish for their brand?
What does their social media involvement bring to their brand that they could not accomplish otherwise? (Or through traditional marketing)
Compare & Contrast:
For the sake of understanding how well or how poorly Starbucks is performing in the Social Media sphere, comparing how their performance rests alongside that of other similarly involved brands
Observe and Report:
Observations on the brand’s overall social media strategy and search engine optimization success.
Based on our observations, suggesting a few of our opinions about what the brand could do to improve its overall social media involvement
1. Starbucks’ Third-Party Social Media Channels (As of 10/31/11) CASEY Fan Likes : 25,869,718 “ Talking About This” : 157,486 “ We’re Here” : 3,357,771 MICHAEL Followers : 1,788,898 Listed : 21,443 ZACH Followers : 285,622 Locations : 17,009 Check-Ins: 146,665 Deal : Mayor Deals ALEX Followers : 120,509 Likes: #Starbucks: Avg. 625/photo 60,209 photos TORI Channel Views : 620,105 Total Upload Views : 7,120,831 Subscribers : 11,675
1. Proprietary Social Media Channels (As of 10/31/11)
2. Starbucks’ Wheel & Spoke Visualized
3. Starbucks v. Caribou Starbucks Caribou FACEBOOK: Fan Likes : 25,869,718 “ Talking About This” : 157,486 “ We’re Here” : 3,357,771 Stores: 17,009 stores in 55 countries TWITTER: Followers : 1,788,898 Listed : 21,443 FACEBOOK: Fan Likes : 252,035 “ Talking About This” : 4,421 “ We’re Here” : N/A Stores: 541 company-owned coffeehouses in 16 states and the District of Columbia TWITTER: Followers : 20,599 Listed : 840
3. Starbucks v. Dunkin Donuts Starbucks Dunkin Donuts FACEBOOK: Fan Likes : 25,869,718 “ Talking About This” : 157,486 “ We’re Here” : 3,357,771 FACEBOOK: Fan Likes : 4,907,177 “ Talking About This” : 50,833 “ We’re Here” : 9,581 Stores: 9,760 stores in 30 countries. Stores: 17,009 stores in 55 countries TWITTER: Followers : 1,788,898 Listed : 21,443 TWITTER: Followers : 109,654 Listed : 3,229
4. The Optimization of SEO Keywords Websites containing this Keyword Monthly searches of this keyword “ starbucks” 106,000,000 1,830,000 “ starbucks lovers” 47,300,000 36 “ starbucks coffee” 15,700,000 40,500 “ starbucks fans” 37,000,000 22 “ starbucks giftcard ” 3,870,000 480 “ I love starbucks” 76,500,000 320 “ coffee” 862,000,000 301,000
4. Other Search Engine Analytics
5. Suggestions for Starbucks
Improve International Involvement and Relations
-become more culture sensitive
-Improve relations with coffee growers
Reduce the Lack of Selection of for Consumers
- Their entire business rests on the coffee industry, If they invest elsewhere and expand their product line outside of coffee they decrease their potential of becoming “ irrelevant ” if coffee ever becomes a fad.
Improved Promotion Strategies
- Ex) Caribou Coffee Coupon Incident
Incorporate Social Media Into Their Stores
- Ex) Starbucks New York Store social media display
Reduce Seasonal Fluctuation
-Starbucks profits are the highest in the 1st quarter (August-December) because of their seasonal push and offering limited time only Holiday beverages.
5. Suggestions for Starbucks Continued
Reduce Market Saturation
Reduce Snobby Image
Rather than advertising “Luxury” Coffee, they should advertise premium coffee and let the consumer know what is going into their cup of coffee hence why consumers are paying more.
GSUStarbucksFans.Wordpress.com - the leading blog in Jake Aull’s Social Media Marketing Class ;-)
You can follow us @gsustarbucksfans
SlideShare.net/GSUStarbucksFans – to download all of our slides!
WordPress analytics for gsustarbucksfans.wordpress.com