(Global Initiative for Restructuring Environment and Management)
GIREM is an industry body, registered under the Karnataka
Society Act of 1960.
It is a non-government, not-for-
profit, industry-led and industry-
GIREM will play a proactive role in
improving infrastructural issues that
many businesses are grappling with on a
day to day basis.
It as a collective body. It will be the
voice of the industry and will work with
local government and supervisory
agencies in the areas of infrastructure
planning, sustainable growth and
GIREM will partner with the Industry,
Government and Government Agencies
through advisory, consultative and
What is Sixth GIREM Leadership Summit?
The Sixth GIREM Leadership
will be held on 24th & 25th Oct;
Venue – Radisson Blue Plaza,
The program is supported by the
Ministry of Urban Development,
Government of India.
The 2013 summit will provide
insights into the changing
economic scenario and market
behaviours which are poised to
show an upward trend post the
downturn and recession effects.
GIREM invites the city administration/planners of Emerging
The Emerging business destination track is to attract 4 major cities,
• Bhubaneswar - Land of Opportunities
• Kochi – Reinventing Business
• Indore – Waiting to be Unlocked
• Jaipur - Untapped potential
This invitation is to carry on a thorough pitch to the audience on policies,
incentives, and initiatives taken to attract investments and create jobs.
Why GIREM is interested in Bhubaneswar?
• Bhubaneswar - the capital of Odisha, has emerged as a fast-growing,
important trading and commercial hub in the state and eastern India.
• As on 2011, city's population was 8, 37, 737 which is expected to grow to
1.3 million by 2021 and to 1.8 - 2 million by 2031.
• An emerging education and IT hub of India.
• It has quality talent pool across various disciplines and specializations.
• It has various mining and metal production industries.
• Primary sector activities such as agriculture, mining and metal production
are the key economic drivers
• Lowest electricity costs in the country
• Suitable for industries such as IT/ITEs, engineering and R&D.
• It is a major tourist hub and handicrafts export destination.
The Biju Patnaik airport is set to be upgraded to an
The Biju Patnaik airport here will generate 100 KW
electricity from solar power plant to meet the
daily electricity requirements.
A new 784 acres Knowledge City is going to come
up near the city comprising of an SEZ, residential,
commercial areas and business zones
Planned Bus Rapid Transit System
Factors leading towards the opportunity
• Bhubaneswar is soon going to have a Ring Road connecting major arterial roads
and the national highways passing through the city.
• As the city's vehicular population currently is more than 6.5 lakhs, 72% of it is two-
wheeler alone, the proposed 45-km-long and 200-foot-wide ring road will solve
the city's traffic woos.
• Bhubaneswar with Cuttack would form a metropolitan twin city by unlocking 15
KM land stretch between Cuttack and Bhubaneswar.
• The Central Government is keen on fast tracking the Biju Patnaik International
Airport - Infra Project, which is under PPP model and has been struck for a long
time now due to various reasons. This airport will connect the city to various
Southeast Asian & the Middle east countries and other international cities.
• The city has 4 IT SEZs, approved by the Government of India, namely Info City,
Knowledge City, Info Park & IDCO-Genpact BPO Complex.
• The government has fostered growth by developing IT Parks such as Infocity-1,
Infocity-2, STPI-Bhubaneswar and JSS STP, which would further attract investments
from major IT companies.
• It offers electricity at lowest costs in the country, which would be beneficial for
various industries being sets up.