1. It‟s Time for Timeline Saturday, January 14, 2012
2. Huh? Timeline’s new ‘cover photo’Profile shot
3. Agenda• The Presentation • Change• Intro to Timeline • Privacy Settings 101• Why, Why, Why? • Subscribers• Change • Games• Whats What & • Scams Terminology • Account Settings• Timeline Cover Photos • The Ads!• Facebook - Free? • More Privacy Settings• Ulterior Motive • Wrap-up• Breaking Down Timeline• View Your Timeline As . . .• Friends & Fakes
4. Today‟s PresentationThe presentation is a mix of slides, videos & livedemo. The slides & links to the videos are online atwww.gcpcug.org/facebook for you to use as areference guide. We‟ll cover what we can, but pleaseknow we will not be able to cover everything.We are going to flip quickly through some of theslides so we have time for live demo and Q & A atthe end.So get ready . . . Here we go . . .
5. Why, Why, Why ?In order to stay fresh, Facebookbelieves it needsto change up the user experience on a regular basis
6. Why, Why, Why ?Facebook wants to avoid following thepaths of MySpace, Friendster and otheronce popular social media websites
7. Why, Why, Why ?And Facebook wants to stay ahead ofcompetition like Twitter and
8. I HateChange!
9. What‟s What Over the years, different parts of Facebook have been called different things. Let‟s review the current terminology . . .
10. NewsfeedClick “Home” on the upper right to see streaming posts fromyour friends, subscriptions and pages that you liked. This is different than your “Timeline”, which used to be your “Wall”.
11. NewsfeedPosts from your friends and pages that youlike will appear on this wall. ONLY YOU cansee this page. If you see something youwould like for YOUR friends to see, clickSHARE and it will appear on your Timeline.
12. Wall, er, Profile When something is posted on your Timeline, they used to be talking about your Profile. Now your profile has become . . .
13. Your Timeline (top part)
14. Your Timeline (second part)
15. Creative Timeline Cover Photos
16. Creative Timeline Cover Photos
17. Creative Timeline Cover Photos
18. Creative Timeline Cover Photos
19. How can Facebook be FREE… …when Facebook‟s annual expenses exceed $1 BILLION???Facebook makes money selling targetedads,based on what YOUand your FRIENDSput on Facebook.
20. How can Facebook be FREE?Facebook‟sprojectedrevenuefor 2011is$3.8BILLION
21. Surely there‟s an Ulterior Motive?If you put up somethingabout snowboarding oryou „liked‟ a post aboutcooking, or if you „like‟Pages about a certainmusical band . . .You will start seeing adsrelated to those topics,so be careful what you„like‟.
22. You aren‟t the customer; you’re the Product!
23. So Let‟s Start a Demo…
24. Friend Requests, Messages & Notifications
25. Search Box
26. Link Back to Your Timeline
27. Facebook Settings
28. The Ads!
29. Profile Photo
30. Basic Info
31. Facebook Timeline Components
32. Update Your Personal Info
33. Your ActivityOnly You Can See It
34. View Your Timeline As
35. View Your Timeline As
36. View Your Timeline As Public
37. View Your Timeline As Friend
38. View A Friend‟s Timeline
39. Accepting Friend Requests You can click “Confirm” or “Not Now”.WARNING: Just by sending a friend request, that person will now receive your posts and be able to view your Timeline.
40. Finding friends via email address:Don‟t want to be friends with the world? Don’t use this option. EVER. You can create “Lists” of categories of friends, interests or places.
41. Adding your profile shotA headshot is recommended, but any jpeg will do. You can crop a photo once it‟s uploaded, or tell it to fit.
42. Adding Friends Who you have in common. Look for personal connections, not public persons.
43. Sample of a „Fake Profile‟It is against Facebook‟s Terms ofService (TOS) to use a fake name or abusiness name in a personal profile.Facebook will, without warning, denyyou access and then delete this profile.
44. Cleveland‟s „Snake Rock‟ booted
45. Remember…..In Facebook, the only constant…. is Change!
46. Privacy Settings 101This is how much of Zippy‟s personal information isrevealed to the public with current settings: Continued…
47. Privacy Settings 101This is how muchof Zippy‟spersonalinformation isrevealed to thepublic with currentsettings:
48. Privacy Settings 101This is how much of Zippy‟s personal information is revealed to FRIENDS
49. Privacy Settings 101This is how much of Zippy‟s personal information is revealed to FRIENDS
50. Privacy Settings 101 This is how much of Zippy‟s personalinformation is revealed to HERSELF ONLY
51. Privacy Settings 101This is how much of Zippy‟s personalinformationis revealed to Recommend this information HERSELF not be entered ONLY
52. Facebook PasswordDO BEE sure it‟s not one you share withemail and financial websitesDO BEE sure it is at least 8 digits longDO BEE sure it has at least: 1. ONE CAPITAL LETTER 2. one lower case letter 3. At least 1 numeric value 4. And perhaps a symbol #
58. Games You have many options to use witheach post that appears on your wall.
59. Timeline-related scams January 4, 2012: We have found 16 Timeline-related scam pages, which have collectively gained more than 71,000 likes. The largest, with nearly 19,000 likes, has been around for at least two weeks. These pages are among the top search results when searching Facebook for “timeline.”http://www.insidefacebook.com/2012/01/03/timeline-related-scams-develop-on-facebook
61. Featured storyStory will be highlighted onTimeline and be 2 columns wide.
62. SettingsOn the upper right hand side of your page,you‟ll find this drop-down:
63. General Account Settings
64. General Account SettingsSetting your personal URL: Facebook will take astandard URL (what your subscriber number is, inthis case Zippy is the 1 BILLIONTH + person to signup) http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn #!/profile.php?id=100001112088594 By verifying your account with a mobile phone, you can customize the url: http://www.facebook.com/zippygreenfield https://www.facebook.com/username/
65. General Account Settings Notifications Messages Friend requests
66. General Account Settings
67. General Account Settings
68. General Account Settings - AppsLooks fairly innocent, eh? Well, seewhat kind of information Apps requireyou to agree to share - often with 3rdparty marketing companies:
69. General Account Settings - AppsNot soinnocent,right?
70. General Account Settings - AppsWhenever you authorize an app,you are most likely compromisingthe privacy of every person towhom you are connected inFacebook.Use your nogginBefore you ‘opt-in’!
71. General Account Settings - AppsFinally, should you decide to „opt-in‟ to an app(Facebook apps are generally safer than 3rd partyapps) please consider setting some parameters asto who sees your activity with that app:
72. General Account Settings - Apps If you click a “Custom” setting, there are many limiting options available to you:
73. Facebook AdsHere‟s where you need to be alert -especially if you don‟t want to see yourpicture used in advertisements thatappear on other people‟s timelines.
74. Facebook AdsAds shown by third parties: Facebook does not give thirdparty applications or ad networks the right to use yourname or picture in ads. If we allow this in the future, thesetting you choose will determine how your information isused.You may see social context on third party sites, includingin ads, through Facebook social plugins. Although socialplugins enable you to have a social experience on a thirdparty site, Facebook does not share your information withthe third party sites hosting the social plugins.Learn more about social plugins.Edit third party ad settings
75. Facebook AdsAds and friendsEveryone wants to know what their friends like. Thatswhy we pair ads and friends—an easy way to findproducts and services youre interested in, based on whatyour friends share and like. Learn more about social ads.Here are the facts: Social ads show an advertisersmessage alongside actions you have taken, such as likinga PageYour privacy settings apply to social adsWe dont sell your information to advertisersOnly confirmed friends can see your actions alongside anadIf a photo is used, it is your profile photo and not fromyour photo albumsEdit social ads setting
76. Facebook AdsAds and friendsEveryone wants to know what their friends like. Thatswhy we pair ads and friends—an easy way to findproducts and services youre interested in, based on whatyour friends share and like. Learn more about social ads.Here are the facts: Social ads show an advertisersmessage alongside actions you have taken, such as likinga PageYour privacy settings apply to social adsWe dont sell your information to advertisersOnly confirmed friends can see your actions alongside anadIf a photo is used, it is your profile photo and not fromyour photo albumsEdit social ads setting CLICK…
77. Facebook Ads SelectAnd Save
78. Privacy SettingsQuickie resource: The Best Facebook Privacy Settings 2012 - YouTube
79. Privacy Settings
80. Privacy Settings
81. Who We Are . . .Jim Evansjamesievans@gmail.comwww.facebook.com/jimevanswww.linkedin.com/in/jamesievansJim has been involved in technology & computers for 30+ yearsand has written and presented on technology around thecountry. He maintains a tech page atwww.facebook.com/GeekClean
82. Who We Are . . .Susie Sharpsusiewyk@gmail.comwww.facebook.com/susiesharpwww.linkedin.com/in/jsusiesharpSusie manages a Cleveland area commercial architectural firm.In her spare time she lectures on LinkedIn, advises smallstartups and posts as an administrator on 20+ FacebookBusiness Pages.