Kópavogur is Iceland's second largest town, with a population of 30,000. It lies immediately south of Reykjavík and is part of the Greater Reykjavík Area.
It is largely made up of residential areas, but has a lot of commercial and industrial activity as well.
The name literally means Seal pup bay . The town seal contains the profile of the church Kópavogskirkja with a seal pup underneath.
Kópavogur is historically significant as the site of the 1662 Kópavogur meeting. This event marked the total incorporation of Iceland into Denmark-Norway as bishop Brynjólfur Sveinsson and lögmaður Árni Oddsson on behalf of the Icelandic people signed a document confirming that the introduction of absolute monarchy by the King also applied to Iceland.
The library in Kópavogur Natural History Museum of Kópavogur The concert hall - Salurinn S wimming pool in Kópavogur
The tallest building in Iceland is located in downtown Kópavogur. The building is called Smáratorg tower. View from the tower
Schools in Kópavogur
There are :
20 nursery schools in Kópavogur (for children 1-6 years old)
10 primary/elementary schools (for children 6-16 years old)