1. Unit 57: Photography andPhotographic PracticeResearch of otherphotographers work
2. Photographer:Ansel Adams was born and raised in SanFrancisco. He took his first photograph in 1916,and after training to become a concert pianist, hechanged directions and became a photographer.Adams is mainly famous for his spectacularimages of American West and is also known forhis technical skill, pioneering the zone systemmethod of exposure and development control. Heauthored numerous books and published severalportfolios of his images. He also wrote a series ofvery influential technical books on photography.In addition, Adams was highly regarded as ateacher, lecturer, and conservationist. In 1980, hewas awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom,the countrys highest civilian honor.
3. Examples of photographs
4. Image DescriptionYosemite National Park is one of the UnitedStates most breath-taking parks, showcasingCalifornias most magnificent natural wonders.Dozens of dramatic waterfalls, serene meadows,and lengthy hiking trails make almost everycorner of this nearly 1,200-square mile park atruly unforgettable destination to Californiavisitors and residents alike. Merging exquisitenatural attractions with accommodations andactivities for the whole family, Yosemite NationalPark is a unique oasis that gives the parks morethan 3.5 million visitors per year a chance to getan intimate and personal glimpse Californias richhistorical and natural tradition.
5. CompositionAnsel Adams was very knowledgeable about photography and co-created with , Fred Archer, the zone system. This is a system forphotographers to translate the light they see into specific densitieson negatives and paper, which gives more control over the finishedphotograph. He also pioneered the idea of visualization which istrying to determine how the finished photograph will look before it isexposed. Ansels received many awards for his work including threeGuggenheim fellowships, election as a fellow of the AmericanAcademy of Arts and Science, the Presidential Medal of Freedom,awarded by Jimmy Carter in 1980, and 2007 he was posthumouslyinducted to the California Museum for History, Women and the Artsby California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
6. Techniques used• Think shutterspeeds, rule ofthirds & depth offield, show oherexamples of thephotographersimages anddescribe their style
7. Strengths & Weaknesses• What you do anddont like and howit can influenceyour work