Open calais for publishers 9.29.09Document Transcript
OpenCalais: an unfair advantage
Whether you are a media provider, publisher or professional blogger, OpenCalais can help you compete.
A free service from Thomson Reuters, OpenCalais makes it easy to enhance the value of your content,
improve your reader experience, increase your search relevance, and extend your reach. OpenCalais can
Enhance your content
Make connections between entities, facts and events WASHINGTON (Reuters) ‐ Treasury secretary Timothy
Geithner on Tuesday said difficulty in setting a value
Automatically integrate related stories and relevant facts on banks' toxic assets was a continuing hindrance to
Create context, deliver insights and inspire Ideas their ability to lend and borrow….
Improve your site
Automate time‐consuming content operations
Improve in‐site search and navigation
Increase reader engagement with topic hubs and more
Grow your business
Optimize search engine ranking (SEO)
Inform ad placement and drive click‐through Timothy Geitner Treasury Secretary
Improve syndication to search engines, aggregators, etc. Washington City
United States Country
With OpenCalais, you can:
- Automate: Automatically tag the entities, facts and
events in your content to increase its value, search relevance, and interoperability on the Web.
- Enhance: Enrich your content with open data from Wikipedia, the Internet Movie Database (IMDB),
Shopping.com, Geonames, the U.S. Census, the CIA Fact book and more.
- Engage: Optimize your user experience, increasing engagement and driving repeat visits with
automatically assembled topic pages, personalized filtering and real‐time alerts.
- Extend: Increase your reach via syndication to next generation search engines, news aggregators,
‘related stories’ applications and others.
- Connect: Compete in tomorrow’s media landscape – the ‘Linked Content Economy,’ – an evolving
ecosystem of enriched and interconnected content
How OpenCalais Works
1. OpenCalais identifies and tags the people, places, companies, facts
and events in your content.
2. It then creates connections and links between those entities, facts
and events and related information, media and data on the Web.
3. Finally, it returns those tags and links to you, along with a ‘key’ that
helps you share and distribute your content to others.
Visit www.OpenCalais.com to learn more or contact Krista Thomas at:
Krista.Thomas@ThomsonReuters.com or 415.202.3523