Prayer and Intercession
Hebrew ( הoלָּ הoפִָּלתְּ or tĕphillah) – Strong’s
Greek (προσευχή or proseuchē) – Strong’s
Word G4335 - prayer addressed to God
Hebrew (ג עַ עoפָּ הo or paga`) – Strong’s Word
H6293 - to encounter, meet, reach, entreat,
Greek (ἐντυγχάνω or entygchanō) – Strong’s Word G1793
Intercessor Definition: Entreaty in favor of another, especially a prayer or petition to God on behalf of another.
If you are a prayer intercessor you are meeting with God on behalf of another. The bible is not suggesting
that you make a distant request to a distant God, but that you encounter, meet with and reach the throne of
God for a personal discussion about your brothers and sisters.
Are you willing to meet with God for your brothers and sisters? Jesus was an intercessor; He met with God on
behalf of the apostle and the transgressors. Can you be a Christian (Christ like) and not intercede for others?
Few Scriptures on Prayer and Intercession
Job 16:20 NIV
- My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God;
Isa 53:12 NIV
- Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will
divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life
unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he
bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
1Ti 2:1 NIV
- I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone ..
Dan 9:23 NIV
- As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given, which I have come
to tell you, for you are highly esteemed. Therefore, consider the
message and understand the vision:
Mat 5:44 NIV
- But I tell you: Love your enemies [bb] and pray for those who
Mat 6:5 NIV
- "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to
pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth,
they have received their reward in full.
Mat 6:6 NIV
- But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then
your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Mat 6:9 NIV
"This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
Mat 19:13 NIV
- Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But
the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
Mat 24:20 NIV
- Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.
Mat 26:41 NIV
- "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.
The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
Luk 6:28 NIV
- bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat
Luk 18:1 NIV
- Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
Jhn 17:20 NIV
- "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
1Th 5:17 NIV
- pray continually;
Jud 1:20 NIV
- But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.
A few ways to pray:
Making personal request
Interceding for others
Meditating on God’s Word
Listening to the Spirit of God
Simply having a conversation
Denying yourself earthly pleasures
Sitting quietly to hear God’s voice
Praying in your spirit
Praying to God in your spiritual tongue
Are you willing to meet with Our Father about Our