1. XJ POWER MIRROR SYSTEMS 8T - 1 POWER MIRROR SYSTEMS CONTENTS page pageGENERAL INFORMATION DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING INTRODUCTION . . . . . . . . . . . ............. 1 POWER MIRROR SYSTEM . . .............. 2DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION DOOR MODULE . . . . . . . . . . . ............. 1 DOOR MODULE . . . . . . . . . . .............. 4 POWER MIRROR SWITCH . . . ............. 1 POWER MIRROR SWITCH . . .............. 2 POWER MIRROR . . . . . . . . . . . ............. 1 POWER MIRROR . . . . . . . . . . .............. 4GENERAL INFORMATION system is turned on. Refer to Group 8N - Electrically Heated Systems for more information on the opera-INTRODUCTION tion of the rear window defogger system. Power operated or power operated and heated out- The power mirror assembly cannot be repaired.side rear view mirrors are available factory-installed Only the mirror glass is serviced separately. If anyoptions on this model. Following are general descrip- other component of the power mirror unit is faulty ortions of the major components in the power mirror damaged, the entire assembly must be replaced.system. Refer to 8W-62 - Power Mirrors in Group 8W - Wir- POWER MIRROR SWITCHing Diagrams for complete circuit descriptions and Both the right and left power outside mirrors arediagrams. Refer to the owner’s manual for more controlled by a single multi-function switch unitinformation on the features and use of this system. located on the driver side front door trim panel. Two versions of this switch are offered. Models withoutNOTE: This group covers both Left-Hand Drive power windows or power locks have a stand-alone(LHD) and Right-Hand Drive (RHD) versions of this switch mounted in the driver side front door trimmodel. Whenever required and feasible, the RHD panel. Models equipped with power windows andversions of affected vehicle components have been power locks have a power mirror switch that is inte-constructed as mirror-image of the LHD versions. gral to the Driver Door Module (DDM).While most of the illustrations used in this group Both versions of the switch are operated in therepresent only the LHD version, the diagnostic and same manner. A three position rocker-type mirrorservice procedures outlined can generally be selector switch is moved right (right mirror control),applied to either version. Exceptions to this rule left (left mirror control), or center to turn the powerhave been clearly identified as LHD or RHD, if a mirrors off. Then one of four directional control but-special illustration or procedure is required. tons is depressed to control movement of the selected mirror up, down, right, or left. The directional control buttons of the DDM-mounted switch are illuminated when the ignition switch is in the On position. TheDESCRIPTION AND OPERATION stand-alone switch is not illuminated. The stand-alone power mirror switch cannot bePOWER MIRROR repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be The power mirrors are connected to an ignition- replaced as a complete unit. The DDM power mirrorswitched battery feed so that the mirrors will only switch requires replacement of the entire DDM if theoperate with the ignition switch in the On position. switch is faulty or damaged.Each mirror head contains two electric motors, twodrive mechanisms, and the mirror glass. One motor DOOR MODULEand drive controls mirror up-and-down movement, A Driver Door Module (DDM) and a Passengerand the other controls right-and-left movement. Door Module (PDM) are used on all models equipped The power mirrors in vehicles equipped with the with power locks and power windows. Each dooravailable heated mirror option also include an elec- module houses both the front door power lock andtric heating grid located behind the mirror glass. power window switches. The DDM also houses indi-This heating grid is energized by the rear window vidual switches for each passenger door power win-defogger relay whenever the rear window defogger dow, a power window lockout switch, a power mirror
2. 8T - 2 POWER MIRROR SYSTEMS XJDESCRIPTION AND OPERATION (Continued)switch, and circuitry to support the one-touch down not OK, replace the faulty power mirror. If OK, checkfeature of the driver side front door power window. the resistance through the electric heating grid cir-The PDM also houses the control circuitry and the cuit. Correct resistance through the electric heatingpower lock and unlock relays for the power lock sys- grid should be from 10 to 16 ohms when measured attem. an ambient temperature of 21°C (70°F). If not OK, The DDM and the PDM are mounted to their replace the faulty power mirror.respective front door trim panels. The DDM and (7) Disconnect and isolate the battery negativePDM are serviced individually and cannot be cable. Remove the stand-alone power mirror switchrepaired. If the DDM or PDM, or any of the switches or the DDM as described in this group. Unplug theand circuitry they contain are faulty or damaged, the wire harness connector from the stand-alone switchcomplete module must be replaced. or the 8-way wire harness connector from the DDM. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltageDIAGNOSIS AND TESTING at the fused ignition switch output circuit cavity of the stand-alone switch wire harness connector or thePOWER MIRROR SYSTEM 8-way DDM wire harness connector. If OK, go to Step For circuit descriptions and diagrams, refer to 8. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction8W-62 - Power Mirrors in Group 8W - Wiring Dia- block as required.grams. (8) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. (1) Check the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or Check for continuity between the ground circuit cav-component as required and replace the faulty fuse. ity of the stand-alone switch wire harness connector (2) If the problem being diagnosed is inoperative or the 8-way DDM wire harness connector and apower mirror switch directional button illumination good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go tofor the Driver Door Module (DDM)-type switch, pro- Step 9. If not OK, repair the circuit to ground asceed as follows. If not, go to Step 4. Check the power required.window circuit breaker in the junction block. If OK, (9) Check the stand-alone power mirror switch orgo to Step 3. If not OK, replace the faulty circuit DDM-mounted power mirror switch continuity asbreaker. shown in (Fig. 1) or (Fig. 2). If OK, go to Step 10. If (3) Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition not OK, replace the faulty stand-alone power mirrorswitch output circuit cavity of the 12-way DDM wire switch or the faulty DDM.harness connector with the ignition switch in the On (10) Connect the battery negative cable. Use twoposition. If OK, replace the faulty DDM. If not OK, jumper wires, one connected to a 12-volt battery feed,repair the open circuit to the power window circuit and the other connected to a good body ground. Seebreaker in the junction block as required. the Power Mirror Test chart for the correct jumper (4) If the problem being diagnosed is an inopera- wire connections at the mirror half of the power mir-tive power mirror electric heating grid, proceed as ror wire harness connector (Fig. 3). If the mirrorfollows. If not, go to Step 7. Disconnect and isolate reactions are OK, repair the wire harness betweenthe battery negative cable. Unplug the wire harness the mirror and the stand-alone power mirror switchconnector at the inoperative mirror as described in or the DDM as required. If the mirror reactions arethis group. Check for continuity between the ground not OK, replace the faulty power outside mirrorcircuit cavity in the body half of the power mirror assembly.wire harness connector and a good ground. If OK, goto Step 5. If not OK, repair the open circuit to groundas required. REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (5) Connect the battery negative cable. Turn theignition switch to the On position. Turn on the rear POWER MIRROR SWITCHwindow defogger system. Check for battery voltage at This procedure covers removal of only the stand-the rear window defogger relay output circuit cavity alone power mirror switch. Vehicles with power win-in the body half of the power mirror wire harness dows and power locks have the a power mirrorconnector. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the switch integral to the Driver Door Module (DDM).open circuit to the rear window defogger relay as See Door Module in this group for the service proce-required. dures. (6) Check for continuity between the ground cir- (1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negativecuit and the rear window defogger relay output cir- cable.cuit cavities in the mirror half of the power mirror (2) Using a trim stick or another suitable widewire harness connector. There should be continuity. If flat-bladed tool, gently pry the edge of the switch out
3. XJ POWER MIRROR SYSTEMS 8T - 3REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (Continued) DOOR TRIM PANEL CONNECTOR FWD STAND-ALONE ROR SWITCH POWER MIR-Fig. 1 Stand-Alone Power Mirror Switch Continuity Fig. 3 Power Mirror Test Fig. 4 Stand-Alone Power Mirror Switch Remove/ Install (3) Pull the power mirror switch away from the Fig. 2 Driver Door Module Power Mirror Switch trim panel far enough to access the wire harness con- Continuity nector.of the trim panel to release the snap clip retainers (4) Unplug the power mirror switch wire harness(Fig. 4). connector.
4. 8T - 4 POWER MIRROR SYSTEMS XJREMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (Continued) (5) Remove the power mirror switch from the vehi-cle. (6) Reverse the removal procedures to install.DOOR MODULE (1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negativecable. (2) Remove the screws that secure the door trimpanel to the inner door panel (Fig. 5). Fig. 6 Door Module Remove/Install POWER MIRROR (1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. (2) If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the man- ual window regulator crank handle with a removal tool (Fig. 7). Fig. 5 Front Door Trim Panel Remove/Install (3) Using a trim stick or another suitable wideflat-bladed tool, gently pry the trim panel away fromthe door around the perimeter to release the trimpanel retainers.NOTE: To aid in the removal of the trim panel, startat the bottom of the panel. (4) Lift the door trim panel upwards and awayfrom the door to disengage the top of the panel fromthe inner belt weatherstrip. Fig. 7 Window Regulator Crank Handle Remove - (5) Pull the door trim panel away from the inner Typicaldoor far enough to access the inside door latchrelease and lock linkage rods near the back of the (3) Remove the screws that secure the door triminside door remote controls. panel to the inner door panel (Fig. 8) or (Fig. 9). (6) Unsnap the plastic retainer clips from the (4) Using a trim stick or another suitable wideinside door remote control ends of the latch release flat-bladed tool, gently pry the trim panel away fromand lock linkage rods, and remove the rod ends from the door around the perimeter to release the trimthe inside door remote controls. panel retainers. (7) Unplug the wire harness connectors from thedoor module. NOTE: To aid in the removal of the trim panel, start (8) Remove the front door trim panel from the at the bottom of the panel.vehicle. (5) Lift the door trim panel upwards and away (9) Remove the three screws that secure the door from the door to disengage the top of the panel frommodule to the door trim panel (Fig. 6). the inner belt weatherstrip. (10) Remove the door module from the trim panel. (6) Pull the door trim panel away from the inner (11) Reverse the removal procedures to install. door far enough to access the inside door latchTighten the mounting screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.). release and lock linkage rods near the back of the inside door remote control.
5. U-NUT U-NUT PUSH-IN TENER PUSH-IN TENER FAS- FAS- SPACER DOOR PANEL WINDOWRIM PANEL DOORRANK C TRIM T SIDE VIEW MIRROR WIRE NESS SEALGROMMET RETAINER UPPER FRONT DOOR SPEAKER HAR- HARNESS WIRE SCREW FLAG TRIMDOOR DOOR PANELXJ POWER MIRROR SYSTEMS 8T - 5REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (Continued) Fig. 8 Front Door Trim Panel Remove/Install - Manual Window Fig. 10 Front Door Flag Trim Panel Remove/Install (12) Unplug the power mirror wire harness con- nector. (13) Remove the three screws that secure the power mirror to the inner door panel (Fig. 11).Fig. 9 Front Door Trim Panel Remove/Install - Power Window (7) Unsnap the plastic retainer clips from theinside door remote control ends of the latch releaseand lock linkage rods, and remove the rod ends fromthe inside door remote control. (8) Unplug the wire harness connectors from the Fig. 11 Power Mirror Remove/Installdoor power switch module or, on the driver side only, (14) Unseat the power mirror wire harness grom-the stand-alone power mirror switch. met by pushing it out through the hole in the door (9) Remove the front door trim panel from the flag from the inside.vehicle. (15) Pull the mirror and seal from the outside of (10) Remove the one screw that secures the door the door while feeding the wire harness, grommet,flag trim to the inner door panel (Fig. 10). and connector out through the hole from the inside of (11) Using a trim stick or another suitable wide the door.flat-bladed tool, gently pry the door flag trim away (16) Reverse the removal procedures to install.from the inner door to release the trim panel Tighten the mirror mounting screws to 4.3 N·m (38retainer. in. lbs.).
6. XJ INTRODUCTION 1 INTRODUCTION CONTENTS page pageGENERAL INFORMATION MANUFACTURER PLATE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 E-MARK LABEL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER . . . . . . . . . 1GENERAL INFORMATION • Vehicle Safety Certification Label. • Frame rail.VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER To protect the consumer from theft and possible The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate is fraud the manufacturer is required to include alocated on the lower windshield fence near the left Check Digit at the ninth position of the Vehicle Iden-A-pillar. The VIN contains 17 characters that provide tification Number. The check digit is used by thedata concerning the vehicle. Refer to the VIN decod- manufacturer and government agencies to verify theing chart to determine the identification of a vehicle. authenticity of the vehicle and official documenta- The Vehicle Identification Number is also tion. The formula to use the check digit is notimprinted on the: released to the general public. • Body Code Plate. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER DECODING CHART POSITION INTERPRETATION CODE = DESCRIPTION 1 Country of Origin 1 = United States 2 Make J = Jeep 3 Vehicle Type 4 = MPV 4 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating F = 4001-5000 lbs. 5 Vehicle Line J = Cherokee 4X4 (LHD) J = Cherokee 4X4 (RHD) EXPORT N = Cherokee 4X4 (RHD) B = Cherokee 4X2 (RHD) T = Cherokee 4X2 (LHD) 6 Transmission N = 5 Speed Manual A = 3 Speed Auto B = 4 Speed Auto 7 Body Style 7 = 2dr Sport Utility 8 = 4dr Sport Utility 8 Engine M = 2.5L Diesel P = 2.5L Gasoline S = 4.0L Gasoline 9 Check Digit 10 Model Year U = 1997 11 Assembly Plant L = Toledo Assembly#1 12 thru 17 Vehicle Build Sequence
7. 2 INTRODUCTION XJGENERAL INFORMATION (Continued)E-MARK LABEL MANUFACTURER PLATE An E-mark Label (Fig. 1) is located on the rear The Manufacturer Plate (Fig. 2) is located in theshut face of the driver’s door. The label contains the engine compartment on the radiator closure panelfollowing information: crossmember adjacent to the Body Code Plate. The • Date of Manufacture plate contains five lines of information: • Month-Day-Hour (MDH) 1. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) 2. Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) • Country Codes 3. Gross Train Mass (GTM) • Regulation Number 4. Gross Front Axle Rating (GFAR) • Regulation Amendment Number 5. Gross Rear Axle Rating (GRAR) • Approval Number Fig. 2 Manufacturer Plate Fig. 1 E-Mark Label