1. ADVOCACY MAKES A DIFFERENCE Nancy Roach Call on Congress March 6, 2012
2. About FightColorectalCancer• We envision victory over colorectal cancer.• Fight Colorectal Cancer demands a cure for colon and rectal cancer. We educate and support patients and caregivers, push for changes in policy that will increase and improve research, and empower survivors to raise their voices against the status quo.
3. Disclosure• We accept unrestricted funding from individuals, foundations, industry and device companies to support our programs.• Our programs are developed for our constituency – people touched by colorectal cancer.• Please feel free to support us!
4. Making a difference• Publicly-funded research• Philanthropy• Seat at the table
5. Public Research Dollars Breast ColorectalAction Cancer Cancer $12.8MResearch funding in the Department of shared with $120MDefense, 2012 other cancersFunding for research at the National Cancer $631.2M $270.4MInstitute, 2010Mortality, 2012 39,510 51,690
6. Pancreatic Cancer Action Network • The pancreatic cancer research community has historically been small, fragmented, and poorly funded. The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network believes that a comprehensive strategy is needed to achieve a comprehensive cure. Through our research grants program, we attract brilliant early career scientists and investigators with innovative ideas to study pancreatic cancer. By recruiting the brightest scientists with the most novel ideas, we continue to build a broad research community, poised to make significant scientific discoveries. • The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network grants are administered in partnership with the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) to ensure rigorous peer-review of grant applications, so that only the most promising science is selected for funding. • 2012 grants: $3.7M
7. Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation • Accelerate Phase I and Phase II clinical trials – Collaboration of14 academic research centers – Advanced over 20 clinical trials • Trials conducted in the collaboration open 30- 40% faster than average 7
8. Seat at the Table
9. Talk doesn’t cook rice – Chinese ProverbWe are here to cook – Fight Colorectal Cancer THANK YOU!