Types of recipients of contribu%ons, 2011 Total = $298.42 billion
• Case for support – Clear, persuasive, ra%onal, URGENT, EMOTIONAL • Available prospects – With capacity, willing to listen, with interest • Leadership – Boards, Senior Staﬀ • Professional support – Staﬀ with experience, counsel Criteria for Fundraising Success
• Donor awareness right here • Donors emo%onally eﬀected • More chari%es sending $ abroad • Larger impact could lead to larger giWs • Global fear • USA founda%ons for global chari%es • Intensity of solicita%ons How are we impacted by na%onal & global events?
• Collabora%on versus Compe%%on • Issues versus Ins%tu%ons • Alterna%ves Financing • Solu%on Based • Leverage What’s going on out there?
• Access to clean water • Climate change • Human Traﬃcking • Educa%on • Food Security • Healthcare • Poverty • Post-‐conﬂict countries • Hai% Global Issues
• USA • Middle East • Asia • La%n America Where is wealth?
• What do we do? • How can we maximize what we have? • We need larger giWs. • Global “think” is big So…… what now?
• Cul%va%on with mega giW in mind • Crea%ve thinking about opportuni%es for transforma%onal investments – Large impact packaging • Acquire or posi%on exis%ng exper%se • Discuss early with trusted advisors (theirs) • Prepare for preliminary discussion of “ideas” • Make that person the cataly%c stakeholder The Mega/Major GiW Scenario:
• Access • Outcomes • Collabora%on not compe%%on • Leverage not limits • Cataly%c not contentment What do “Megas” Want?