We often use the past simple to talk
about a completed past events and the
past continuous to describe the
situation that existed at the time. The
completed event might have interrupted
the situation, or just occurred while the
situation or event was in progress.
• Regular Verb
• Verbs End in e+d= smile+d------ smile
Verbs End in e+d= locate+d-------- located
• Verbs End in consonant+y= i+ed= deny-------denied
Verbs End in consonant+y= i+ed= studey-----studied
• Verbs End in vowel+sonsonat (not w or y)= double the
consonat, then+ ed= rob------robbed, stop------stopped
• Verbs End in anything including-w+ ed= knock--------
• Irregular Verb
• In irregular verbs, the verbs usuallydo not end in-ed
Examples= build------built, fly-------flew, keep------kept, fall-------fell
• Meanwhile, there are some verbs past which are similar to their
Examples= Hit------hit, put-------put, cut-----cut, hurt------hurt, let-----let
Example Myth :
Yamata no Orochi
• We often use the past simple to
talk about a completed past events
(menyatakan perbuatan atau
kejadian yg dilakukan pd waktu
lampau). Simple Past also show
that an activity or situation began
adn ended at a particular time in
(+) S+Verb II
(-) S+ did not+ Verb I
(?) Did+S+Verb I
• Yang tidak memakai kata kerja
• Time Signal: Yesterday, the day
before yesterday, last week, last
month, last year, two days
ago, two months ago, two years
• To talk about an action that was in
progress (not finished) at a time in
the past. (untuk menyatakan
kejadian atau pekerjaan yang
berlangsung pada waktu
lampau). We also use P.C.T to
talk about two long actions that
were in progress simultaneously
(+) S+was/were+ Verb+ing
(-) S+ was/were not+ Verb+ing
• Yang tidak mengunakan kata kerja
tambahkan being setelah to be
The Examples of past tense
• They played football yesterday
they did not play football yesterday
did they play football yesterday?
• Shinta sang a song justnow
shinta did not sing a song justnow
did shinta sing a song justnow?
• Mother cooked rica-rica two days ago
mother didn’t cook rica” two days ago
did mother cook rica” two days ago?
• I was late justnow
I was not late justnow
was I late justnow?
• She was sick two days ago
she was not sick two days ago
was she sick two days ago?
• We were here last week
We were not here last week
Were we here last week?
The examples of past continuous
• I was studying when you phoned.
I was not studing when you phoned
Was I studying when you phoned?
• I was standing near the door
I was not standing near the door.
Was I standing near the door?
• We were watching TV while father
was reading news paper.
-We were not watching TV while
father was reading news paper.
- were we watching TV while father
was reading news paper?
• She was being happy when her
-She was not being happy when her
- was She being happy when her
TIME EXPRESSIONSPast Simple
I didn’t go to
together… TWO DAYS
failed all the
IN THE 20th
TIME EXPRESSIONSPast Continuou
I was trying
to fly WHEN
it began to
AS I was
ne stole his
It’s your turn…Past Simple or Continuous?
I_____(write) letters all day yesterday
A cigarette……(cause) the fire last week.
My mother……….(ask) me a lot of questions yesterday.
Their marriage……(end) in divorce.
What………you……..(do) when I phoned you yesterday?
You…….. (talk) on the phone for hours and hours.
were you doing
was cooking dinner.
was driving home.
was not watching T.V.