1. 32 1The Permaculture Garden, $25RI Gardener’s Companion, $15Safe & Easy Lawn Care,Solar Gardening: Growing Vegetables Year-Round $13 LESS TOXIC LANDSCAPING RESOURCE DIRECTORYthe American Intensive Way, $40 NOT AVAILABLE BY MAIL - AT TIP EVENT TABLES ONLY Less Toxic Landscaping Bumper Stickers $1.50; Less Toxic Landscaping Lawn/Window Signs, $2.00 FOR A SAFER OUTDOORS Children are the most vulnerable to pesticide use – as you think about creating a lovely landscape, think of the beauty of one that is healthy for your children or grandchildren, neighbor kids, your pets – and yes, you too! OTHER TOPICS (Natural Healing, Food, HealthyHomes, Pets, Peaceful Solutions)NEW! Keeping Life Simple $ 9NEW! Dog Heroes $10NEW! Happy Dog, Happy You $11NEW! Happy Cat, Happy You $11ADHD Alternatives $13Herbal Antibiotics $13Green-Up Your Cleanup, $17How to Grow Fresh Air (50 Houseplants that PurifyYour Home or Office) $17The Organic Food Guide, $ 9Safe Passage on City Streets, $10 FOR & ABOUT KIDSNEW! Herbal Remedies for Children’s Health $ 9 In the 1970s, the owners of this house in ConnecticutNEW! Pony Play Games & Puzzles $10Compost, By Gosh! An Adventure With used a biological pest control vs. a major Gypsy MothVermicomposting, $17 outbreak. The neighbors applied Sevin (carbaryl), a now-Fifty Ways to Take the Junk out of Junk Food, $ 8 controversial synthetic chemical insecticide. That year,Safer For Your Baby: A Guide to Living Better the only Gypsy Moth caterpillar seen was - on theWith Fewer Chemicals $10 neighbor’s lawn. Natural works! Why risk anything else?
2. 2 31 TOXICS INFORMATION PROJECT (TIP) MEMBERSHIP FORM P.O. Box 40441, Providence, RI 02940HELP US – AND HELP YOUR HEALTH & PLANET AS WELL – JOIN US! LIBERTY GOODWIN, DIRECTORSupport TIP’s important research and education efforts on toxics in Tel. 401-351-9193, E-Mail: TIP@toxicsinfo.orgeveryday products and healthier alternatives! As a TIP member, you’ll be WEBSITE: www.toxicsinfo.orgpart of a vital movement to create and sustain an earthly life support (Lighting the Way to Less Toxic Living)system friendly to people and other living beings. You will receive ourquarterly newsletter, “TIP TALKS”, with news of TIP activities, info onresearch into toxic products and health effects, and tips on healthy living.We welcome all concerned people as TIP members. TIP’S BOOKSHELF – BUY THEM FROM US (Sales proceeds go to Toxics Information ProjectDONATE OR JOIN NOW! Please choose what you can afford to givefrom the suggested membership categories, fill out the form and enclose and All Prices Include Sales Tax, if applicable.) CURRENT TIP BOOKS LIST 2-21-09with your check: Or go to: www.toxicsinfo.org/subscribe.htm to payby credit card or PayPal. Questions? Call 401-351-9193 NOTE: Availability is constantly changing due to ongoing sales. Contact us by phone or E-Mail before ordering on the website. TIP is an official 501C3 Non-Profit organization, Some books may be temporarily out of stock. If so, tell us if you so all contributions are tax-deductible! want to be notified when your order can be filled. BEST PLACE TO BUY - THE TIP TABLE AT EVENTS! NAME:_______________________________________________ GARDENING BOOKS ADDRESS:___________________________________________ NEW! The Complete Compost Gardening Guide $20 TELEPHONE:_________________________________________ NEW! Don’t Throw It, Grow It! $11 NEW! Covering Ground $20 E MAIL:______________________________________________ NEW! Tabletop Gardens $17 MEMBERSHIP NEW! Window Boxes $17 Individual Membership: $25-40 ___ (Sliding Scale) Amount: _______ NEW! The Veggie Gardener’s Answer Book $15 Contributor: $50 ____ Supporter $100_____ Carrots Love Tomatoes $15 Sponsor $250 ____ Benefactor $500 _____ Easy Care Guide to Houseplants, $20 From Grass To Gardens, (How to Reap Bounty Limited Income: $10–20 (Sliding Scale) Amount: _____ from A Small Yard), $17 DONATIONS Getting Started in Permaculture, $15 Donations of any amount are very needed for this young organization. Small Space Gardening, $15 Please make checks out to: Toxics Information Project (TIP). The War on Bugs, $35 Building a Healthy Lawn, $15 Donation to TIP Amount Gardener’s Guide to Plant Diseases, $15 The Healthy Lawn Handbook, $19 SPECIAL MEMBERSHIP OFFERS Mass. Gardener’s Companion, $15 With a membership/donation of $40 or more, get a free subscription to Organic Food Guide, $ 9 “Pesticides & You” or E/The Environment Magazine (new subscribers Organic Lawn Care Manual, $20 only) or a copy of “Safer for Your Baby”, a great guide to less toxic living for all, not just babes.
4. 4 29 WHY LESS TOXIC LANDSCAPING? NANCY WEISS-FRIED, Garden Designer 10 Pleasant Hill Road, Cranston, RI 02910 (The Short Version) Tel. 401-943-3743, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org SERVICES WHY NOT USE PESTICIDES IN MY YARD? Nancy designs gardens & works with owners who want to install the gardens themselves. She mainly serves central RI & nearby**PESTICIDES ARE POISON. That’s why they are used – Massachusetts, but has done some work in northern & southernthey kill things (bugs, bacteria, plants – and animals). RI too. She designs with an emphasis on using native plants. With a degree in landscape architecture, she has skills to integrate**HUMANS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO PESTICIDES. the garden into the hardscape for a space that is ecologicallyAnimal testing is done because the canary or rat will show sound, and a living space for people too. As a master gardener, & active in the RI Wild Plant Society, she has done some teaching ofresults sooner, and human testing is dangerous, and unethical. sustainable gardening practices.Nevertheless, many studies show that serious health effectsare associated with exposure to the toxic chemicals in Anne Wilson, Gardening Consultant, Middletown, Rhode Island, 401-743-5667, Abw29@cox.net Partially Organic. Consulting,commonly used pesticide products. Design, Installation, Maintenance, Plant Health Care, Restoration, Pruning, An accredited NOFA Organic Land Care professional**LOW LEVELS = SLOW POISONING. Large amounts of with 30 + years of horticultural experience, she “tries to implementtoxic chemicals cause acute, immediate reactions, even death. holistic care for earth & inhabitants,” Covers Newport County.Smaller, dilute exposures cause damage over time. Woodscapes, Inc., Tysh McGrail, 106 Huntinghouse Road,**YOU, YOUR KIDS & PETS – ARE THE GUINEA PIGS. North Scituate, RI 02857, Tel. 401-568-0673 (Cell) 401-864-2121 E-Mail: email@example.com A Home & Land ImprovementThe pattern is simple. Most testing is not done by Company. Landscape design & consultations. Creating dynamicgovernment, (and companies have been successfully sued for landscapes that will rejuvenate themselves on an annual basislying about safety findings). Products are approved for through environmentally sound design & management practices.marketing, based on manufacturers’ claims. Years later, some LAURA WILLSON, GARDEN ENDEAVORSof them are removed from the market because they have 286 Barneyville Road, Swansea, MA 02777proved to be dangerous to animals, the environment, or Tel. 401-465-1760, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. DDT & Dursban are examples. Others are in process SERVICESof removal. Laura designs, builds and maintains landscapes and gardens.**ANYONE FOR A CHEMICAL COCKTAIL? What you put She provides organic and ecological garden care, and works throughout Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.on your lawn winds up in the ground water, and you may be Professional Horticultural services are offered. SERVICESdrinking it. Studies are finding household chemicals, including INCLUDE: Consulting, Design, Installation, Maintenance, Plantpesticides, in streams and wells. Most municipal water Health Care, Special Gardens, Perennials, Vegetable, Rock,treatment does not remove them. Herb, Cutting Gardens, Container Gardens. Laura is a NOFA- OLC Accredited Land Care Professional.
5. 28 5MA Assoc. of Conservation Commissions, Society of WetlandScientists. Designs that blend with local ecology & enhancesustainability (low maintenance, pest, drought, stress resistance), HOW ABOUT EFFECTIVENESS & LOOKS?wildlife habitat, native plant communities. Diagnosis of tree, turf & (And Cost!)landscape problems. EDUCATION: Michael lectures at colleges,horticultural conferences, trade organizations, environment &conservation groups. Topics include ecological design, protection **PESTICIDES ARE A QUICK FIX THAT FADES. Theyof lakes, ponds & streams, organic & low impact turf management. provide instant gratification, but long term, they are not really good for your lawn. Natural means, in general, take a bit THOMPSON ORGANIC LANDSCAPING, Paul Thompson longer to “work”, but offer more long-lasting solutions. Cost, Providence, RI, , Tel. 401-861-3616 or 401-368-0832 however, goes on forever with pesticide-based gardening. LANDSCAPING SERVICES Organic land care often becomes less expensive when it isSERVICES: Thompson Organic Landscaping has been providing established.organic landscaping services since 1988. We provide mostlandscaping services including: Organic lawn care. New lawns **ORGANIC HAS HAD CENTURIES OF TESTING. Folksinstalled, established lawns renovated. Planting and landscaping. have been gardening and farming organically for thousands ofLawn mowing. Tree and shrub pruning. Landscape maintenance, years. Today, they are doing it even better.including spring and fall cleanups. We serve mostly the areas ofProvidence, Barrington, and Bristol, but may provide servicesoutside these areas for larger properties. **THE NATIVES LIKE THE CLIMATE! Native plant species, an important part of less-toxic gardening, thrive inCOMMENTS: No synthetic insecticides, herbicides, or fertilizer local conditions. They have fewer problems, and require lessused. Organic practices should not be limited to the use oforganic fertilizers. Most of our customers use less fertilizer at care than fragile foreigners.present than they did when they started using our services, onlyonce or twice a season. We encourage our customers with large **LAWNS ARE DULL! The typical American lawn, consistingor problem lawns to decrease the size of their lawns. Lawns need of thousands of little green shoots, all sporting the same crewmore of everything (fertilizing, water, mowing) than any other part cut, isn’t really exciting to see. It’s rather like a toxic greenof the landscape. We are also concerned with how our practices rug. Bushes, shrubs, flowers, rocks, bricks, and otheraffect noise and air pollution, and energy use. “In all things ofnature, there is something marvelous.” Aristotle alternative landscaping options, can be unique, creative, exciting! **HEALTHY KIDS AND PETS AT PLAY DELIGHT THE EYE AND WARM THE HEART! How much is it worth to have the peace of mind of knowing your favorite critters can romp and roll around in your yard without being exposed to dangerous toxins?
6. 6 27 An in depth approach to lawn & turf management from an organic WHY AN LTL GUIDE? perspective has been developed & will be presented around the U.S. in 2009. Chip is a foremost authority on organic land care,**INTEREST. More people are wanting to “play it safe” and especially turf. (See also the listing for the Living Lawn Project.)go more organic in their yard and garden care.**TOO MUCH INFORMATION:. Huge amounts of info andadvice on how to do successful organic gardening is out there,in books, magazines, websites, on the radio. But, who’s gottime to find and digest much of it?**EXPERTS SAVE TIME. A person who knows is thequickest source for information. Having spent years inuniversity and research – or years of experience gardening, Natural Concepts, LLC, Lincoln, RI, 401-837-3300 Daniel Flynn & Andrew Balon, Naturalconceptsllc@gmail.com. Landscape carethey can give you an answer in minutes! & design firm serving RI & Southern MA. Perennial garden**KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLK ARE NEARBY, BUT WHERE? maintenance (pruning, weeding, fertilizing mulching), tree and shrub care, design &rejuvenation of new & old plantings & creativeThere are people selling supplies and services who understand vegetable gardens. All practices NOFA accredited..and encourage organic gardening, and can give good advice. Sloane Garden Design, Sarah Sloane, 60 Sea View Drive,There are also those who will give you a blank look on what’s Warwick, RI 02889, 401-921-1898 E-Mail: email@example.com and how to use it! www.sloanedesign.com. Earth Friendly Garden Designs that require no pesticides or artificial fertilizers, have low water needs.**SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL. Large retailers tend to sell Lawn alternatives. See Sarah’s prize-winning entry in TIP’s 2004products made by big corporations – usually patented, Landscaping contest: www.toxicsinfo.org/ContestEntries/SS.htmsynthetic chemical brews. They have many employees comingand going, and don’t train in organic gardening. So, you never MICHAEL TALBOT & ASSOCIATES, INCknow who you might get – today someone helpful, tomorrow a P. O. Box 187, Mashpee, MA 02649person who is clueless. Smaller retailers emphasize service, Tel. 508-539-1912; FAX: 508-539-8865and are often run by an owner who thinks organic, and hires E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org that do also. Website: www.michael-talbot.com SERVICES & INFORMATION**THE WEB DOESN’T CATCH THE SMALL FRY. The SERVICES: Ecological LandscapeWeb is great for finding online sources – but not local ones. Design & Restoration, Natural Tree,Many of those don’t have websites. You may search out a name Shrub & Lawn Care, Ornamentaland phone, but little or no info about the shop or service, what Pruning, Consultation. MA Certified Horticulturist & Landscape Designer,they sell, if they’re still there. ISA Certified Arborist, Member, Amer. Soc. of Consulting Arborists
7. 26 7 NATURALAWN OF AMERICA HOW WERE THE LISTINGS CHOSEN? Jim Laramie, Providence Office Servicing: Bristol, Providence, & Kent Counties **AVAILABILITY OF INFORMATION. We did the National Website: www.nl-amer.com Tel. 401-658-5200 calling and searching for you – by phone, E-Mail, and on the E-Mail: jim@grobroinc and email@example.com Web. We can’t claim to have found ALL good sources, but weWeb: www.nl-amer.com/nlawebsites/Providence/frameset.htm found (and eliminated) quite a few. LAWN CARE SERVICES & SUPPLIES **ORGANIC-FRIENDLY ATTITUDE. When you call or goSERVICES: NaturaLawn® works to create a safer outdoors - one in, will you be encouraged or discouraged from using less toxicbeautiful, healthy lawn at a time - without excessive use ofunnecessary chemicals that only treat symptoms, & may be means and materials?harmful to family, pets, & environment. Rather than a quick fixgreen-up, their organic-based plans work with nature, not against **OFFER SIGNIFICANT LESS TOXIC SERVICES &it, for lasting, healthy turf: Alternative® Organic-Based Program, SUPPLIES. Nobody’s perfect – and few are 100% organic.using 85% fewer chemicals than traditional lawn care, & 100% But sources that believe in healthier methods and materialspesticide-free Natural Alternative® Program. Satisfaction have more organically oriented services and supplies thanguaranteed. SUPPLIES: Do-It-Yourselfer program for purchasingtheir proprietary products: fertilizers, grass seed, milky spore for those that don’t, and can help you better to choose and usegrub control. 800-989-5444, firstname.lastname@example.org. Shipping them. Our hope is that those listed in this guide will beis free. Website: www.nl-amer.com/doityourself/catalog.htm friends and helpers if you want to travel the organic trail. CHIP OSBORNE, OSBORNE ORGANICS HOW DO I USE THIS HANDBOOK? 11 Laurel Street, Marblehead, MA 01945 Tel. 781-631-2468, E-Mail: email@example.com **TO FIND A RESOURCE NEAR YOU: Choose from the Website: www.osborneorganics.com three sections by Category (Information, Supplies or Service). SERVICES, INFORMATION Supplies are divided geographically – Northern RI (& MA) and Osborne provides natural turf consulting Southern RI (& CT). Services coverage areas vary widely, service to business, municipal, institutional, regardless of base. Check individual listings. Info is as near & residential clients who wish to create & as your phone & computer! maintain natural, self-sustaining turf without synthetic fertilizers & chemical pesticides. **TO LOCATE A SOURCE BY NAME: Just look in the Consulting services: On-site evaluations listings – they are arranged alphabetically. and technical reports; Public presentations;product specifications & maintenance schedule development; New ALSO SEE GARDENING BOOKS THAT AREconstruction design consultation; Training programs: Osbornenow offers a two day Natural Turf Management Training Program. SOLD TO BENEFIT TIP, ON PAGE 31. LATER THIS SPRING, WATCH FOR THE LTL DIRECTORY ON THE TIP WEBSITE, WWW.TOXICSINFO>ORG
8. 8 25 WHERE TO FIND SUPPLIES FOR ORGANIC-FRIENDLY Brett Malloy Natural Landscaping, 27 Red Gate Rd., GARDENING & LANDSCAPING Cumberland, RI 02864. Tel. 401-475-7746. This is a complete landscaping service specializing in organic lawn care, wildlife and NOTE: Many Garden Shops & Suppliers Offer Services As butterfly gardens, and spring/fall clean-ups. Gas-free mower Well - See Individual Listings for Details, or Inquire. optionally used. Covers nearby areas. NORTHERN RI & MA MERNER LANDSCAPING, Patrick MernerArlington Farm & Pet Supply, Debbie Stravato, Owner 89 County Drive, Charlestown RI 028135 Depot Avenue, Cranston, RI, Tel. 401 942-6720. Organic weed Tel.- 401-741-3035 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, horticultural spray oils, bone meal, dried blood as natural www.mernerlandscaping.comrepellent, and milky spore. Carry Cockadoodle-Doo organic LANDSCAPING & LAWN CARE SERVICESfertilizer as well as another, less-expensive brand. SERVICES: Merner provides 100% Organic landscape & lawnFrey Florist and Greenhouse, 50 Radcliffe Avenue, Providence, services in southern RI, specializing in the design, development &RI 02908, email@example.com Tel. Toll-Free: 800-551-0965, construction of sustainable landscapes that, once established, willor 401-521-3539, Website: www.freyflorist.com An ecologically need no additional inputs of water, fertilizers, pesticides, mulch, oraware "green" florist, Frey does not treat flowers with chemicals & weeding. They develop new sites or renovate existing landscapes.uses biodegradable wraps, reusable glass & ceramic containers. Based on current lawn condition, they devise an annual lawn careA full service family owned & operated shop. Open daily 9 to 6. program to best suit your needs. Lawn renovation services include dethatching, topdressing with compost, aeration, & overseeding THE GOOD EARTH ORGANIC GARDENING CENTER with a blend of grasses that deter insect problems. Alternatives to Joyce & John Holscher lawns include design & construction of customized patios, walks, 1800 Scituate Ave., Hope, RI 02831 stairways, and walls. Tel. 401-826-3130 Japanese Beetle Grub Treatment: Merner applies a naturally E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org occurring bacteria, "Milky Spore Powder" as a one-time treatment, Website: www.goodearthorganicgardencenter.com with a lifetime guarantee against damage from Japanese Beetle SUPPLIES & INFORMATION grubs, the most damaging insect in the RI lawn.SUPPLIES: At The Good Earth they grow certified organic herb COMMENTS: Merner Landscaping is owned and operated byand vegetable plants and plants with edible flowers; many are Patrick Merner, who has over 11 years of experience in the“Heirloom” varieties & include over two dozen varieties of tomato nursery, landscape, and masonry fields. He worked for theplants. They also have an extensive selection of annuals and Organic Landscape Company and Earth Care Farm inperennials. Additional offerings are compost, potting soil, fertilizers Charlestown, R.I., for six years, where he learned the importance& pest control products which are approved for organic gardening of organic landscape & farm management practices. Patrick hasand lawn care. INFORMATION: All of Good Earth’s personnel are completed four years of study in landscape architecture at thewell acquainted with organic growing practices and are happy to University of Rhode Island. Personnel are educated & organicanswer any gardening questions their customers might have. practices are strongly encouraged. 100% of the businessThey encourage everyone to grow organically because they inventory is organic. One long-time customer is the Charihobelieve it’s the way to get the best results. Youth Soccer Association, whose playing fields have been cared for organically since the early 1990’s – originally by Patrick’s father, Mike Merner, and by Patrick since 1998. ,.
9. 24 9 The Greenery, Bridget Tierney, 132 Danielson Pike, N. Scituate,Harringtons Safelawns & Landscape, Llc. Todd Harrington, RI 02857 www.thegreeneryri.com The Greenery is a flower, gift70 Highland Park Dr. Bloomfield, CT 06002 Tel. 860-243-3200 and garden shop catering to the socially conscious consumer byEmail: email@example.com Website: www.safelawns.net supporting fair trade, sustainable, local, handmade and organic100% organic & transition to organic programs for turf and trees communities. Fair trade is a force for protecting environment andand shrubs, in CT. Consulting available. Products for organic promoting sustainable living. The Greenery is for people whogardening, soil amendments - humates,, organic fertilizers, plant seek a greater good & fewer toxins for selves & for gift giving.boosters, K+ Neem, organic insecticide (RTU) & Burnout. Deliverto customers or they pick up. NOFA accredited programs, & staff.Horti-Care Professional Organic Landscaping, Linda Lapin andJim Normann, Green Hill, RI., Tel. 401-789-5281, Horti-Care is acomplete organic landscaping company, that has been inbusiness since 1978, and specializes in Pruning, Planting, Design,Installations and Maintenance.Sanne Kure-Jensen, Ecological Designs and ConsultingPortsmouth, RI, Cell 401-369-3303 Email SanneK-J@cox.netSustainable, low maintenance gardens & landscapes using nativeplants. Training in organic methods & products. RI Certified Organically Grown, 768 Atwood Ave, Cranston RI 02920Horticulturist, NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professional, 401-944-0549, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:URI Master Gardener, RI Tree Steward, CRMC-Certified Invasive www.oghydroponics.com. Your Indoor Garden Headquarters.Management, Beekeeper. Serves Newport & Bristol counties, RI Garden hardware, hydroponic systems and organic nutrients. Various types of grow lights. Open seven days year-round. LUEDERS ENVIRONMENTAL, INC. Michael Lueders Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation, 65 Shun Pike, 27 Brook St., Medfield, MA Johnston, RI (401) 942-1430. RIRRC supplies recycling bins of all sizes, compost bins & accessories and one-on-one consultation Tel. 508-359-9905, E-Mail: Luedersco@aol.com for business reduction & recycling plans. See: http://www.rirrc.org SERVICES for program details & hazardous waste drop-off schedules.Lawn care, tree and shrub care programs, diagnostics, Roots & Shoots Garden Center, Maureen Esposito, Ownerapplications, IPM. Service properties from Milton to Gloucester. 2677 Broncos Hwy, Harrisville, RI 02830, email@example.comThey offer pure organic services & hybrid programs, listen to 401-766-7333, Range of natural & organic compounds: Neptunecustomers’ needs & expectations, then educate them on options fertilizer, Organic Gardening from Rain Gro. Safer products, Cornavailable so they can make a wise choice for their property. gluten. Hot pepper & soap for pest control. Organic vegetable Michael and other employees are NOFA-certified. The business seed, and pest & fungus control lawn care products. Philosophyis about 35% organic and that percentage grows each year. is start organic, only if major problem try other less toxic products.TELL THEM YOU FOUND THEM IN THE LTL DIRECTORY!
10. 10 23 SEVEN ARROWS FARM Michel Marcellot 346 Oakhill Avenue, Attleboro, MA 02703 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. 508-399-7860 Website: www.sevenarrowsfarm.com Blog: www.sacredgardenblog.com SUPPLIES, SERVICES SUPPLIES: Seven Arrows Farm sells only organic garden supplies including organic pesticides, slug control, soil amendments, fertilizers, weed killers, etc. They are also purveyors of certified organic compost, sold both bagged and bulk (bulk sold by the yard and available for delivery).SERVICES: They offer Backyard Sustainability Gardenconstruction for the home gardener (See website). COMMENTS:Their first book, Sacred Gardens, (how ordinary gardeners create GRO-PRO ORGANIC LAWNS & LANDSCAPINGplaces of peace and sanctuary) was featured on an Oprah blog. Nicole Gaulin, Website: www.gropro.cc SHARON VIEW NURSERY (AMERICAN LANDSCAPE LLC) PO Box 678, Glendale RI 02826, Jim Zoppo Tel. 401-710-PROS, E-Mail: email@example.com, 630 S. Main St., Sharon, MA 02067 LAWN CARE SERVICES & LANDSCAPING Tel. 781-784-5858, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.american-landscape.com SERVICES: Organic-based lawn care (about 90%) combined with SUPPLIES & SERVICES use of less toxic pesticides. They offer 2 fertilizer programs: Program A, 100% organic fertilizer program, no pesticides, ANDSUPPLIES: Wide selection of organic & natural fertilizers, plant Program B, Organic-based program. using Organic-basedfood, and soil amendments. Large & hard to find trees & shrubs, fertilizer together with safer types of controls for weeds andstatuary, garden accents, handcrafted pottery, plants. insects. These are selectively used, not blanket applied to theSERVICES: Horticultural Consulting, Garden Design, Landscape whole lawn. Plan B now includes grub prevention with Merit as anRenovation, Masonry, Irrigation. Landscape design/construction. option where indicated (instead of giving it to all). Other servicesCOMMENTS: Mainly but not limited to south of Boston and include hydroseeding, slice seeding, core aeration, overseeding,metro-west area. We have informed personnel, both at our flea & tick control, mosquito control, & many landscaping services.location in Sharon and on weekly radio show with Sam Jeffries & Estimates & service calls are free. Informed personnel. NoLayanee DeMerchan, (See website at www.garden-guys.com products with a Danger or Warning label are used, only Cautionand the “Gardening Show” listing in this Directory). (and solely as needed with approval by homeowner). Gro-Pro is a family owned business, serving SE New England since 1995.
11. 22 11Gardens Are...Donald Bishop, Website: www.gardensare.com AMERICAN LANDSCAPE LLC,100 Violetwood Circle, Marlborough, MA 01752, 508-303-0800 SHARON VIEW NURSERYE-Mail: email@example.com Complete 100% organic landscape 630 S. Main St. Sharon, MA 02067,design, building and maintenance in eastern Massachusetts.Consulting to homeowners, non-profit & commercial property (Immediately off of Exit 8 on Interstate 95)owners, management companies, municipalities, state and federal Tel. 781-784-5858government agencies. Donald Bishop is a co-creator of the NOFA Website: www.american-landscape.comOrganic Land Care Standards and Educational Programs.Go Organic LLC, John Tycz, Thompson, CT, Tel. 860-935-5235,E-Mail: info@GoOrganicLLc.com, Web: www.GoOrganicLLc.comOrganic land, lawn & shrub care. Organic vegetable gardens.Organic athletic fields. John is a NOFA-OLC Accredited LandCare Professional & member of the Ecological LandscapingAssociation. He serves RI, Connecticut & Massachusetts. JIM ZOPPO, PRESIDENT E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Co-Host, Garden Guys Gardening Show. Website: www.garden-guys.com EAST BAY & SOUTHEASTERN MA Oakwold Garden Center, Richard Kirby, 39 West St, Barrington Rhode Island. Tel. (401) 245-5705. Website: www.oakwold.com E-Mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org An oasis of edible & ornamental landscape plants, with a large selection of perennials, annuals, bushes, trees & organic solutions for all your gardening needs, including organic fertilizers, etc. Some homegrown produce sold. No toxic chemicals used for pestGreen Circle Design, Kate Lacouture, 286 Rochambeau Ave., control. Specials daily. See the passive solar sunpit greenhouse.Providence, RI, 02906. www.greencircledesign.net,Tel. (401) 421-9599, E-Mail: email@example.com Redwood Nursery and Garden Center, Manuel J. & JacquelineSustainable landscape architecture, promoting alternatives to the A. Vales, Manager/Owners, 2664 Grand Army Highway (Rte 6),typical American front lawn, using native plants & encouraging Swansea Ma. 02777, 1-800-585-3790, www.redwoodnursery.comorganic methods of gardening. A full range of services is offered, & www.trimlawnri.com, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org garden consultation to planting & stonework design. A full service garden center & landscape construction company, with a full range of organic products: Winterwood Farms & Coast TELL THEM YOU FOUND THEM IN THE LTL DIRECTORY! of Maine Soils, Milky Spore Grub Control, Safer Garden Products, Cock-a-doodle-do Lawn Products, Hot Pepper Spray, Locally composted bulk soil, Lady Bugs & Praying Mantis Live for garden.
12. 12 21Tiger Industries, Inc., 15 Sandy Lane, Bristol, RI 02809, Tel.401-447-9479, Ray Frizzell, President, Web: www.tigercal.com EVERGREEN TREE & LANDSCAPE SERVICE INC. E-Mail: Tigerindustries@cox.net, Manufactures and distributes Larry Hindle, Tel. 508-761-5505TIGERCAL 30 H, an all natural calcium carbonate with a humate,as well as REFLECTIONS, an all natural sun shade liquid for 351 Oak Hill Ave., Seekonk, Massachusetts 02771greenhouse sun protection; & TIGERSHARK organic fish fertilizer. E-Mail: email@example.comThese are used in a variety of applications including agricultural, Website: www.evergreentreeandlandscape.comturf farming, organic farming, athletic fields, soil amendments. SUPPLIES & SERVICES A range of organic fertilizers & pest control products are offered at Evergreen’s garden center, such as lawn fertilizers & conditioners by Organica, lawn, tree, shrub & flower fertilizers by Espoma & Organica, & Neptunes Harvest Fish Fertilizer. Organic pest controls include Neem Oil & Safer brands. Also carried: Organic compost (Lobster, Peat and Cow Manure) & organic potting soil by Coast of Maine. Their landscape design & installation services utilize organic soil amendments, fertilizers & conditioners during garden preparation and planting, and they are starting an organic lawn service, using Organicas 4-step lawn program. SOUTHERN RI & CTBroadview Garden & Gift Floral Center, Sherry & MarkKoswaski, 5 Langworthy Road, Westerly, RI Tel. 401-322-0390E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Coast of Maine brand,Organica lawn fertilizers & garden products. Ccckadoodle Dooorganic lawn program and garden fertilizers, soil conditioners, bulk Garden & Landscapes, Chuck DiTucci, Tel. 401-846-6576,organic compost. Open 9-5 M-F year-round, & Sat. 9-5, Sun. 9-3 Middletown, Ri email@example.com . Healthy &from Easter to Dec. Website: www.broadviewgardencenter.com, organic gardening, consultation, design and installation. Vegetable, flower and naturalized gardens that fit client lifestyleEarth Care Farm. Mike Merner, 89 Country Drive, Charlestown and personal needs. Full service company servicing all NewportRI 02813, Tel. 401-364-9930. 100% organic compost for county and surrounding areas. Chuck DiTucci is a professionallandscapers, farmers & gardeners. The whole inventory is organic, Landscape Gardener and a certified Master Gardener.Mike doesn’t use or store any products not certified organic. Pickup, or arrange for delivery. This is a long-time resource in RI.
13. 20 13T. J. Brown Landscaping, 23 Lucas Avenue, Newport, RI New England Turf, Glenn R Chappell, www.newenglandturf.com02840, Tel. 401-847-2081, firstname.lastname@example.org T. J. Brown is 401-789-5060, P.O. Box 777, 600 Waites Corner Road, Westa full service landscape company specializing in lawn care and Kingston, RI, New England Turf sells: Organic Gem, a liquid freshgarden installation & maintenance. There is a NOFA Organic Land fish fertilizer that works as an all-natural bio-stimulant. They’re aCare Certified professional on staff. They serve Newport County. sod farm using this product to grow their turf, & it can be used on homeowners’ lawns, shrubs, flowers, or vegetable gardens. They DANA DESIGNS... Organically cover all of New England supplying landscapers, golf courses, Dana K. Millar towns, and homeowners. 32 Hillsdale Road, West Kingston, RI 02892 PERENNIAL HARMONY GARDEN SHOP, 401-486-0495, email@example.com Petie Reed & Rich Oliver (owners)ALL ORGANIC, INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, RESTORATION 368 Boston Post Road, Waterford, CT 06385Plants Not Doing What you Want Them To? Often, the organic Tel. 860-440-3653, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org of “Right Plant, Right Place” prevents many problems. Website: www.perennialharmony.comThere are practices Dana can take to improve the well being ofyour plants & grasses: removal, pruning, thinning, aerating, raking, This garden center sells plants & organic garden supplies: soils,top dressing, mowing, mulching, & de-thatching. With this comes mulches, soil amendments, plant food, fertilizer, pest controla sound soil analysis, used as a basis for the organic land care products (both insect and wildlife), trees, shrubs, perennials,program he provides. From that plan, he’ll use fertilizers, lime, annuals, roses, herbs, fair trade natural material brooms, stonecompost, & other amendments to enrich the soil that supports the statuary & more. They do tree planting, some landscapegrowth & health of your ornamentals, perennials and grasses, consultation. They offer friendly free advice, & special order hard-organically. Dana is a NOFA Accredited Land Care Professional. to-find products & plants for customers. Their “Homegrown” line of plants is 100% organic, others are not certified organic but maintained organically. Petie Reed is a NOFA certified land care professional. They cover southeastern CT & western RI. Open March thru December, 7 days a week; Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun. 10-2. RHODE ISLAND WATER LADY, Beverly O’keefe 472 Gardiner Road, Richmond RI 401-486-5389 E-MAIL: email@example.com Website: www.riwaterlady.com SUPPLIESDVL Landscape Architecture, Ltd., Deanna & Derek van Lent292 Spring St., PO Box 1208, Block Island, RI 02807, Website: Harvest rainwater with recycled foodwww.DVllandscape.com, 401-466-2081, DVLlandscape@aol.com barrels from the RI Water Lady! TheA design/build & maintenance firm run by award-winning, NOFA- 60-gallon rain barrel, one of the largestcertified landscape architect Derek van Lent, who consults on the market, stands 39" tall by 24"throughout New England. They’ll also travel off island to set up wide, weighs 20 lbs & comes in green,new organic land care programs. Services include non-toxic plant gray, or brown.material installations, invasives removal & lawn care programs.
14. 14 19This barrel will last for years, due to its rigid, 3/16" thick walls, & WHERE TO FIND ORGANIC-FRIENDLY SERVICEScan fill in lessthan ¼“ of rainfall (depending on size of your roofand gutter system). Link 2 or 3 together to save up to 180 gallons (Note: Coverage Areas Vary Greatly - See Individual Listingsof rainwater. Each unit is complete with threaded spigot (for easy for Details, or Contact The Resource)hose attachment), overflow fitting, drain plug, screw-on cover, Artful Kitchen Gardens, David de Smit. 617-320-6564screen, & complete instructions. The fittings allow linkage to a firstname.lastname@example.org Design & implement organic, sustainable,second or third barrel - without a special linking kit, just standard, nutritious and beautiful gardens. Methods are based on proven3/4" hose). Made in the USA from clean, recycled food grade organic horticultural methods & sound science, and grounded inbarrels. Pre-ordering is encouraged. both traditional landscape and permaculture design principles. Base is Providence but will serve all of Southern New England. THE WORM LADIES OF CHARLESTOWN Lois Fulton/Nancy Warner BioTechPestControls, David Jones, 42 Canal St., Westerly, RI PO Box 397, Charlestown, RI 02813 Tel. 401-315-2400, E-Mail: email@example.com www.biotechpestcontrols.com www.biopestcontrol.com - Retail Tel: 401-364-9673 OR 401-322-7675 Least toxic pest control using baits, borate gels, diatomaceous E-Mail: Redwiggler@cox.net earth, boric acid, mineral & plant based products vs. fleas, ticks, Website: www.angoraandworms.com termites, etc Products for gardeners: Natural Animal Products, SUPPLIES, SERVICES, INFORMATION EcoPco plant derived insecticides. Borate-based termiticides, treatments in CT, MA & RI for carpenter ants, wood-boringSUPPLIES: They sell Red Wiggler Worms (Eisenia Fedita) for beetles, wood decay. Fungus treatments. Natural pyrethrum.composting household and garden waste. The worms produce"castings" from waste, a wonderful soil enhancer. Books forchildren, composters and gardeners are also carried.. Worms canbe mail ordered. SERVICES & INFORMATION: The “WormLadies” will travel to your home or work place to lecture or help setup a composting bin. Nancy & Lois teach, drawing upon theirexperience raising & using the worms and castings. Nancy hasbeen raising Red Worms for over 30 years. COMMENTS: 30% ofhousehold waste can be eaten by Red Wiggler Worms &converted to rich, organic soil enhancer. SPECIAL RESOURCES - WIDE AREADown to Earth, Scott Grossman, P.O. Box 1247, N. Kingstown,RI 401-694-1246, DownToEarthRI@cox.net RI WholesaleDistributor for North Country Organics, selling Organic/Naturalproducts for gardening, farming, and landscaping. Minimum orderof one ton of product (fertilizer) for wholesale pricing. See:www.norganics.com for complete product list & descriptions.
15. 18 15fournd in pest control & cleaning products, food, clothing, plastics, Organic Sales & Marketing, Sam Jeffries, President, 114home furnishings and more. Describes how common chemicals get Broadway, Raynham, MA 02767, Tel. 508-823-1117, E-Mail:into the body, health effects, why children are most vulnerable and firstname.lastname@example.org Organic lawn care &how to find safer options. “If we had to choose one area that would gardening advice, earth-friendly products, gardening forum,have the biggest impact on the health of children & the organic clothes. Consulting services available – organic methods,environment it would be safer pest control”, says Dr. Ruggeri. pesticide alternatives, speakers. “Garden Guys” brand horticultural$9.95 per copy. Sold by T.I.P. and health stores throughout RI. & organic composts, fertilizers, pest controls, garden accessories. (Also see listing in Information for Garden Guys Radio Show). SOUTHSIDE COMMUNITY LAND TRUST (SCLT) PJC Ecological Land Care, Fred & Pam Newcombe, Phone: 109 Somerset Street, Providence, RI 02907 978-432-1019, 252 Dodge Road, Rowley, MA 01969, E-Mail: Leo Pollock, Education Director email@example.com. PJC develops & distributes all natural firstname.lastname@example.org products for schools, landscapers, municipalities, golf courses, equine, organic farmers & wholesale suppliers. They manufacture 401-273-9419 x 28, www.southsideclt.org Renaissance All Natural Fertilizers & are the supplier for HiCal Southside Community Land Trust provides Lime & Humates, in New England & the North East. access to land, education & other resources so people in Greater Providence can grow food in WHERE TO FIND ADVICE, INFORMATION, & TRAINING environmentally sustainable ways & create IN ORGANIC-FRIENDLY GARDENING & LANDSCAPING community food systems where locally produced, affordable, healthy food is available to all. SCLT’s annual Plant Sale is in May, & BEYOND PESTICIDESthey offer workshops each year on topics ranging from urban 701 E St. SE, Washington, DC 20003composting to food preservation. They also have information on Tel. 202-543-5450, Contact Person: Jane Philbricksoil testing, a simple resource guide about damaging/beneficial E-Mail: email@example.com in your garden, & other resources to help you grow food Websites: Beyond Pesticides: www.byeondpesticides.orgsafely in urban settings, by turning your backyard into a garden orgrowing plants in containers. Contact them for info & schedules. National Coalition for Pesticide-Free Lawns: www.beyondpesticides.org/pesticidefreelawnsURI Master Gardener Program, Toll-Free Garden Hotline, INFORMATIONMarch to October, 1-800-448-1011, Mon. thru Thurs., 9AM–2 PM.www.uri.edu/cels/ceoc or www.urimga.org. Offers a wide array of Beyond Pesticides offers information & support to people seekinggeneral gardening information to the public. Focus is on alternatives to toxic pesticides. They provide assistance in areassustainable gardening practices including the reduced need for ranging from organizing & activism, to non-toxic pest managementpesticides, least toxic pesticide use when needed, sustainable in the home. Various brochures and packets are available bothplant selection, composting, storm water control, and native online and in their office with information on how to take care ofplantings for wildlife. your lawn without using toxic pesticides. The organization keeps up to date on local and national politics, & does their part to watchdog the government & promote healthy and safe alternativesTELL THEM YOU FOUND THEM IN THE LTL DIRECTORY! to hazardous pesticides. They also hold an annual National Pesticide Forum, for which you can register on the website.
16. 16 17Casey Farm, 2325 Boston Neck Road (Route 1-A), Providential Gardener, Susan Korte, P.O. Box 2556,Saunderstown, RI, Web: www.spnea.org/visit/homes/casey.htm Providence, RI 02906, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTel.401-295-1030 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.providentialgardener.com Publisher of “WhatThey sell organic plants. Educational programs are offered, some Grows On In Rhode Island, Little Rhody’s free calendar ofyear-round, outdoor programs usually March to early December. environment-related events, listings, organic lawn care, workshops, environmental justice meetings, gardening classesElm Street Gardens, Jenifer LoVetere, 38 Elm Street, Westerly, and much more. Visit: www.WhatGrowsOnRI.comRI 02891. Tel. 401-207-8185, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. RHODE ISLAND WILD PLANT SOCIETY (RIWPS)Offering organic gardening classes; organic garden coaching;garden design. Jenifer is a NOFA-RI accredited. organic land Cheryl Cadwell, President, Website www.riwps.orgcare professional. Says she, "Create a natural garden: help P.O. Box 414, Exeter, RI 02822, Tel. 401-789-RIWPSpreserve the earth and save time and money.” (789-7497) E-MAIL: email@example.com, INFORMATION & SUPPLIESGarden Guys Garden Show, with Sam Jeffries, Jim Zoppo, andLayanee DeMerchant. Live Sunday morning radio call-in show RIWPS is a state-wide conservation organization advocating foroffering organically-biased “Down to Earth & Up-To-Date” advice, preservation of native plants & habitats.eco-friendly alternatives to gardening practices. Listen 6-8 a.m. They offer guided nature walks, educationalon WRKO 680 AM, 1-888-443-9473, www.WRKO.com: click on programs, garden tours, a lecture series &the Gardening Show link. Listen 8-10 a.m. on WHHJ 92 AM, other events. RIWPS publishes a newsletter,1-866-920-WHJJ(9455). Or, listen at www.garden-guys.com, & “Wildflora”, Invasive Species Alerts, &use the gardening forum there. E-Mails: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cultivation Notes, and a monthly Eemail@example.com. Jim’s website: www.JimZoppo.com Newsletter (subscribe on the website). Their volunteer propagators (Seedstarters) grow wildflowers to sell at plant sales.NOFA Organic Land Care Program P.O. Box 164, Stevenson, They specialize in growing plants for difficult situations such as dryCT 06491. Tel. 203-888-5146. Website: www.organiclandcare.net shade, low- moist places, sandy soils, etc. Everything is grownContact: Ashley Kremser, NOFA OLC Program Manager naturally. They present a native garden at RI Flower & GardenE-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org NOFA Organic Land Care Program Show, provide plant inventories to individuals & municipalities.offers courses in organic land care, accreditation to professionals,publishes directories, guides, books & brochures on organic land SAFERWORKS, Lynn Tondat Ruggeri Ph. D.care. Many OLC Professionals give talks and lectures on the P.O. 1227, Hope Valley, RI 02832 www.saferforyourbaby.comhow-tos and benefits of organic land care. (See ad, P. 19) 401-965-0179, E-Mail: email@example.comNortheast Organic Farming Association of RI, Dan Lawton.247 Evans Road, Chepachet, RI 02814, 401 523-2653, Publishers of Safer For Your Baby: Anofari@nofari.org, www.nofari.org NOFA-RI is an organization of Guide to Living Better with Fewerfarmers, consumers, gardeners, & environmentalists working to Chemicals, 3rd Edition, by Lynn Tondatpromote organic farming & organic land care practices through Ruggeri, Ph.D. and Laura Costa, Ph.D.advocacy and education. The goal is to increase the acreage of This book gives simple ways to protect your family from harmful chemicalsorganically managed land and access to local organic food in RI.