All knowledge derives from sense-
Theory of Knowledge – 14th year of
Physics (God and the Cosmos)
Poioun ( active )
- is the reason inherent in the substance,
that is God.
Paschon ( passive )
- is a substance without quality,
- “invention of arguments, their
expression into words, their arrangement,
and delivery," among other things.
- epistemology and theory of language
- the Stoics believed that a human being
had a soul.
- Diogenes explains: "A presentation
(phantasia) is an imprint on the soul; the
name having been appropriately borrowed
from the imprint made by the seal.”
Theory of Language
- the basic unit of language is the
proposition (axiôma), which consists of a
subject and a predicate.
- is an outflow of Stoic cosmology: the
ethical goal is to live in a way that is
consistent with the way that the cosmos is.
- providence (pronoia) or fate
Hallowell, J. H. & Porter, J. M. (1997). Political
philosophy the search for humanity
and order. Scarborough, Ontario:
Prentice-Hall Canada Inc.
Stoicism. (2011). Retrieved 15 Jan 2013 from