Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge
Opening date : Oct. 19, 2010
The center line of Colorado River and Hoover Dam Bridge was
State Line of Nevada and Arizona, and also a Time Zone
divided line of Pacific and Mountain Time, If drive from west to
the east, when you pass the bridge, you will enter Arizona and
gain one extra hour. Click
Name of the Bridge
• In the beginning called : Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge
now the official name was :
• Mike O’Callaghan – Tillman Killey
Mike O'Callaghan – Joined the Marines at sixteen, 1952 he lost
part of his left leg in the battle of Korean War, 1971 to 1979 was
Governor of Nevada, later he was the Executive Editor at the
Las Vegas Sun newspaper, he died on March 5, 2004.
• Tillman Killey – Arizona famous NFL football player, he gave
up his well paid job and joined the army, he died by a friendly
fire in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004.
Hoover Dam Bridge technical information
Designer : T. Y. Lin International ( 林同棪 )
1988 finished the investigation and environmental report.
The design work start in July 2001 & finish two years later.
• Bridge length : 1900 ft ( 580 m ).
• Arch span : 1060 ft ( 320 m ).
• Bridge width : Four lane highway.
• Bridge height : 840 ft ( 263 m ) , 2nd
height of U.S.
• Bridge away from Hoover Dam : 1600 ft ( 550 m).
• Construction began on Feb. 2005 and completion on Oct.2010.
• Construction cost : 114 million.
• This is the first Concrete-and-steel composite arch bridge built
in United State.
• Pedestrian access is provided over the bridge for tourists.
Hoover Dam technical information
• Hoover Dam was built after 1930 Great Depression, it was a
project to increased job for American worker.
• Type : Concrete gravity - arch dam
• Top width : 45 ft ( 14 m), Base width : 660 ft ( 200 m)
• Dam height : 726 ft ( 230 m), and 1245 ft (380 m) long
• Construction begin at 1931 and finish at 1936
• Total cost : 49 million
• Reservoir : 28,537,000 Acre ft (35,200 Kilo cubic meter)
• Power annual generation : 4.2 Billion kwh
• Worker : Hired 5500 construction workers, Chinese labor was
forbidden by construction contract.
• Hoover Dam was a tour spot, every year more than million of
peoples visit there.